Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Can i use motor cleaner for........

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 12:04 PM
homeroFREAKINBRASILIAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can i use motor cleaner for........

Could i use the cleaner that i use to clean my motors? its non chlorinated brake cleaner. wORKS great with motors! it dries so fast and leaves it so clean...,and i allso used it on the endbell wich is plastic and it worked pretty good... i was just asking if i could use it on am rc. you kno like in all the places and in those really hard to reach places...so i wanted to see if i could clean it out with the break cleaner and blast all the dirt and grease and carpet threads that are so ANNOYNG! it gets every where because i drive it most inside my house(i kno im not supossed to but its fun),,,i put electric tape on the tires and drift inside and its too much fun..but still i just want to clean out all that stuff with a brake cleaner....
Old 01-20-2007, 12:36 PM
poe

Default RE: Can i use motor cleaner for........

Its easier to just get a can of compressed air for cleaning keyboards.. That gets all the stuff out if it is dry.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:05 PM
homeroFREAKINBRASILIAN

its like oily dirt and a bunch of stuff jammed up in little places that i cant reach,stuff form outside,,,i just want to plast it all outta there with a good cleaner,that i allready have...
Old 01-20-2007, 06:55 PM
bte214

If you think it will acctually get the carpet fibers out go for it. Watch the electronics though.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:57 PM
swerv512

i just recently asked my lhs trusted owner almost the identical question last week and here is what he said about brake cleaner...

DONT use it to clean your motor- it will ruin the insulated coating of the motor windings, resulting in a motor that draw too many amps and runs way too hot. i know about this one because i used brake cleaner on my newest stock motor for the first time and it did exactly as he said= it burned up the windings within five runs.

DONT use brake cleaner on the motor brushes- although its main purpose is to draw water and moisture out of materials, doing so to your copper brushes will make them dry and brittle- resulting in a brush that will chip easily and overheat due to it's now brittle nature

DONT use brake cleaner to spray down your car' plastic parts- again it will draw out the moisture and make the plastic super brittle and easy to break next time you crash.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:52 PM
bte214

Looked up the MSDS for both and it is pretty much the same stuff. Did you use chlorinated break cleaner? You should only use non-chlorinated.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:18 PM
swerv512

i'm might be confused here, but i'm talking about using a non-chlorinated brake cleaner as a substitute for electric motor spray. looking at an MSDS myself, the two chemicals depending on which manufacuter, have totally different chemical ingredients and properties.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:01 AM
bte214

Well for refrence here are the two links I found.
http://www.refrigerants.com/MSDS/nri...torcleaner.pdf
http://www.myerstiresupply.com/MSDS/...ke_Cleaner.pdf