Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

RS4MT Restoration Project

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RS4MT Restoration Project

AWSOME BroncoJD Prop-Shop Hobbies is my secondary LHS.lol
Its an awsome place... great customer service... ECT.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:25 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds good. I think I will have to see about ordering a few replacement parts to have on hand, before they get too hard to find.

Mine arrived, yesterday. This is a really cool little truck! I am surprised that they are no longer being made since they are the only electric 4WD stadium truck that I have ever even heard of. [] I'm looking forward to taking it to the track and pulling through some of those sharp turns at a higher speeds than the 2WD trucks. [sm=thumbup.gif] It will be an advantage on the track for sure.

Good luck with your truck!
Jason
Old 02-03-2007, 10:45 PM

i totally forgot to mention...when i drove it in the backyard the slipper was REALLY slipping a lot. so i went to tighten it, only to find that it is at maximum tightness. so i guess i'm going to have to buy a new slipper pad/washer thing. i hope i can find one.
Did you locate any new slipper clutch parts, yet? Mine was very loose when I got it and I tightened it up a little bit, but I know that I will need to replace it, eventually. I'm sure I will not be able to resist putting the Mamba in the RS4 for very long.

(I probably should not admit this on a public forum, but one of the parts that I like the most about this truck is the inner body, with the driver. It is cool to look through the little window and see something other than the electronics. )

Jason
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34442.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	613192   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77641.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	613193   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc79612.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	613194   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25115.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	613195   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17572.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	613196  
Old 02-04-2007, 12:49 AM

hey, it looks like you bought that one that was listed on here. that was a good deal...

fyi, i found the slipper clutch pad on ebay searching by part number.

in fact, i actually bought a 2nd rs4mt today...i think i got a good deal on it, we'll see...hopefully it will be here by next weekend. i am interested to see the difference between the two. i'm just going to resell it, but still...
Old 02-04-2007, 09:59 AM

i am gettin one and basically making it brand new. It will be my racer. 19turn v2 motor, f1 esc, fm synthesized radio, bowtie tires all around on stampede front rims. It should be killer!! Tower has tons of parts, they have a brand new slipper, etc. I am gonna stock up from tower so if i break i won't have to search!
Old 02-04-2007, 10:38 AM

good to see people discussing rs4 mts on here. im new to the site, and kind of was amazed at how forgotten this truck is.

its true that parts can be challenging to find, but my LHS seems to have pretty good inventory. tower and rcboyz are options too as someone mentioned.

as for weaknesses of the mt; id say the rear belt, center "differential" shaft, and the shocks are the parts that seem to need the most service. on mine, rocks get caught between the chassis and the rear diff, only to shred the belt. on the mid-shaft, the pins that hold the drive gears for the front and rear belts break. i have found that using a harder metal than the pins designed for the application works best. i just sacrifice a section of an allen wrench.

if you ever want crazy power and speed, go brushless. my brother (who's on here, too) have novak systems in ours. he keeps forgetting his radar gun, but id estimate 35-40 mph easily. its enought power that the throttle cant be pinned from a stop--even with good road tires. only from a good 5-10 mph roll can i lay into it. this is all with a 22 tooth pinion. the run times are amazing. i cant see why anyone would want a nitro truck having driven brushless. its that good.

have fun with yours.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:47 AM

hey, it looks like you bought that one that was listed on here. that was a good deal..
Yep, I got a really good deal. The body and wheels are a little scuffed, but you have to expect that-it wasn't a shelf queesn. The ESC won't program to go into reverse mode, but I will just put another one in. Other than that, the thing is tip-top. [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 02-04-2007, 11:19 PM

first of all, i am bummed to see peyton manning win a ring, but wrecked grossman was just too awful today. oh well...

i installed the capacitors and motor leads on the 15t motor today. that thing is MUCH faster than the 17 turn. surprisingly, the difference between the 17 turn and 15 turn is bigger than the difference between the 20 turn and 17t. i wish i could put in a brushless. it's all good, though. i am really satisfied with the performance. when i get a chance (maybe next weekend) i'll get a new video up.

the restoration is coming along nicely. really, after the rear shocks are rebuilt and the oil is changed in all of them, i think i might take a break. we'll see how it goes. run time is nice so far, too. i know that's aided by the bearings. i am really digging this truck...

<edit>
i do find it to be a pain in the butt to have to take off 2 bodies and put on 2 bodies. i'm withholding judgment on it, though, until i have the thing running properly and don't NEED to keep getting in there. i look forward to changing the battery out of the side compartment.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:33 AM

i do find it to be a pain in the butt to have to take off 2 bodies and put on 2 bodies.
With the short runs from NiMH batteries, it is a pain to change one out. I made some handles these:

http://www.misbehavin-rc.com/pit-lan...g-bodyclip.asp

I think that unless I'm driving in really dirty places, I will leave the inner body set at the house.

Jason
Old 02-05-2007, 12:13 PM

the body clips aren't the problem for me. it's getting the wiring to sit properly. that rebel esc is pretty big and bulky. if you look at the pics i posted you can see where part of the chassis was cut to accommodate the excessively large heat sinks. when i replace the esc (not a priority yet) then i will replace the cut brace, too. with the work i've been doing, when i test run it, i don't put any body on it at all.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:54 PM

ya i will be racing my ss5800 one and i will run without inner body set
Old 02-06-2007, 12:42 PM

last night i got the gear cover cut and installed (not painted, but i don't think i want it painted) and i rebuilt the rear shocks with 35 weight oil. it seemed to be a slight improvement over the 20 weight, but not as much as i had hoped...

also, when going from forward to reverse the front belt will skip a couple teeth...i can hear it. i adjusted the reverse delay to wait longer before going into reverse & and that seems to help. really i am eagerly awaiting the pilot shaft to come in so i can install the tensioner...i think that will make the biggest difference...

the more i drive this thing the more i like it. it doesn't matter how fast i am going, i can turn it as hard as i want and it just will not flip over.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:46 PM

well i just won the auction to the rs4 mt that i really really wanted![>:] Here it is, My new [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/HPI-MT-RS4-electric-4WD-MASSIVE-COLLECTION-of-PARTS_W0QQitemZ290077569980QQihZ019QQcategoryZ4402 9QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]RS4 MT[/link] I really wanted it so i bid high! I think that i got a really good deal, at least i won't need extra parts for a few years, lol!!!
Old 02-07-2007, 09:59 PM

holy cow that's a lot of stuff! you shouldn't have to buy anything else...ever...unless you just feel like changing something for the heck of it...that's awesome!
Old 02-07-2007, 10:11 PM

Haulin Azz, I watched that auction for a few days because of all of the parts, but it was too rich for my blood. Maybe I can buy some parts from you if you could part with some of them. You'll have an RS4 MT shop in your garage!

Congratulations!
Jason
Old 02-08-2007, 07:27 AM

does anyone know if this would fit on the electric?

[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/Hpi-RS4-MT-MT2-Nitro-Front-Bumper-1-10-200mm_W0QQitemZ250082042372QQihZ015QQcategoryZ4402 8QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]http://cgi.ebay.com/Hpi-RS4-MT-MT2-Nitro-Front-Bumper-1-10-200mm_W0QQitemZ250082042372QQihZ015QQcategoryZ4402 8QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/link]
Old 02-08-2007, 07:29 AM

lol, ya i was really wanting it, that is worth way more then $480.00 to me though, I bid up to like $600somethin, i really wanted it! Ya i will have a rs4 mt shop! He has to ship the auction in two big boxes he said,lol! I can't wait! He has a video of it on google videos [link=http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6856467086373817077&q=mini+t+rs4+m t]LINK[/link] This truck is really fast! I really like the aluminum suspension too, i have never seen one for a rs4 mt....[:-]
Old 02-08-2007, 07:32 AM

broncojd I think that it might fit the electric, if it would that would be a nice upgrade to protect the front end, you could always modify it to fit if it don't fit
Old 02-08-2007, 09:07 AM

that video was pretty cool...would have liked to see a couple shots of it just running at full speed down the street, though...just to get a better judgment on the speed. but with brushless, you know it'll fly

i am pretty sure nitro rs4mt or mt2 control arms fit...that might be where he got them...

i am still waiting for the rest of my parts to come in...maybe today? that's what i keep telling myself. on monday, i'll get my 2nd mt. then i can take the two trucks and compare them. i am really interested to see the difference.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:20 PM

broncojd

I though about sending an Email to HPI about the Truck. At the local track everybody runs a Team Losi. I want to be different and I think HPI should make it again. What do you think?

I've just about replace the whole car myself!! I'll have to get some pics. I found a lot of parts. I have 2 of just about everything even a new chassis.

I'm going to race it tonight for the first time. On an indor carpet track!!
Old 02-08-2007, 04:39 PM

that sounds pretty sweet! i don't race b/c i don't have the time, money, or energy to dedicate to be competitive...so i don't know how it will race. but i've seen xxx4's before and i don't see why you shouldn't be able to compete. and even if you don't win it will be fun for everyone involved, i'm sure, to see something different...sounds like fun!
Old 02-08-2007, 05:19 PM

Ya i will be racing mine, thats why i got that auction so i will have extra parts on hand. I will race against t4,xxxt, and xxx-4. I know my lhs will let me run this cause the let me run my rc18t with brushless last year against the 1/10 st
Old 02-11-2007, 05:42 PM

bump
Old 02-14-2007, 01:33 PM

my second rs4mt came monday. it has an orange baja bug body. it is in pretty good shape. i will post some pics possibly tonight. i am taking the wheels & tires off of it because i like the wheels better, then i'm going to resale it. when i get it listed i'll put a link to it in here.

looking at the two of them next to each other makes me want to keep them both, but i can't. [&o]

i DID get the belt tensioner installed last night, but haven't driven it yet. i will definitely do that tonight. i am interested to see what difference it makes in the way it drives.

i also got the front shocks with the 35 weight oil. i changed the springs, too. it really stiffened up the front end. maybe now it will ride a little better. i prefer a stiff suspension. and with the handling as good as it is, a stiff suspension should work nicely.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:19 PM

ya i got mine today!! TOns of tires! This thing is awesome, it handles great! Has all aluminum suspension, mip cvds, brushless, custom cooling fans, graphite stuff, and tons and tons of parts! It went through 12+ inches of snow no probelm, i just ran one battery then brought it back and set it on a few towels and took the hair dryer to it to melt the ice and snow so it wont ruin the electronics. Don't want to ruin that brushless!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.