Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Battery suggestions for a Stampede XL-5?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 01:00 PM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Battery suggestions for a Stampede XL-5?

What are some recommended battery selections for the Xl-5? What will make it the fastest witout frying it. I know it can handle 8 cells but what kind? What do you new pede owners use? links?
Old 02-07-2007, 01:24 PM
Unplugged

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Battery suggestions for a Stampede XL-5?

You may want to consider a faster motor along with a good battery pack. Sometimes this can be more cost effective in the long run. For example, I run a machine wound, 11 turn brushed motor in my Stampede with a 6-cell matched pack. Other than speed runs up and down my street (just to see what the top speed is) it is all the power and speed I could ever ask for. The motor cost me $30 and the matched battery pack cost me less than $45.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:34 PM
proteus1377

Upping the quality of the batteries will increase run times more than performance, granted you will have some speed gains, you are better off changing the motor. There are some real quality motors for some really low prices.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:43 PM
JUCD VPR

Yah i already posted a thread asking about motors but didn't get a soli reply on what works the best. Any suggestions/ Have alink to the motor i need?
What type of bettery and where from?
Old 02-07-2007, 01:51 PM
JUCD VPR

I still need batteries for this thing, since i just bought it yesterday and i have none for it. So if i have to buy a bettery i at least want a good one that will make it blistering fast or at least alot faster, Suggestions?
Old 02-07-2007, 01:53 PM
Unplugged

ORIGINAL: JUCD VPR

Yah i already posted a thread asking about motors but didn't get a soli reply on what works the best. Any suggestions/ Have alink to the motor i need?
Try this motor, http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCNE4&P=RF. It's a couple dollars more than I paid, but it will run great. If you buy it, get a couple extra sets of brushes also. As for the battery pack, I'm running a SPC Sport Matched pack I bought at [link=http://www.fieldshobby.com]Field's Hobby Center[/link] in Buffalo, NY. They may still have a few in stock.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:08 PM
JUCD VPR

ORIGINAL: Unplugged

ORIGINAL: JUCD VPR

Try this motor, http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCNE4&P=RF. It's a couple dollars more than I paid, but it will run great. If you buy it, get a couple extra sets of brushes also. As for the battery pack, I'm running a SPC Sport Matched pack I bought at [link=http://www.fieldshobby.com]Field's Hobby Center[/link] in Buffalo, NY. They may still have a few in stock.
AWESOME ! I will get this one! What pinion tooth or gearing whatever do i need with this motor?
Old 02-07-2007, 02:20 PM
Unplugged

Depends on where you are going to run the truck, how long you are going to run it without stopping and what terrain you run it on. If you are just going to make 1 or 2 speed runs up and down the street and then allow the motor to cool, you could probably run an 18 tooth pinion. But be careful as it will easily overheat the motor. If you are going to run in mowed grass, bashing aroung the yard, a 12 to 13 tooth pinion would be good. Whatever size pinion you get, carefully monitor the motor heat as you run the truck. Don't allow the motor to get so hot you can't touch it, or worse yet, you can smell it burning-hot.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:23 PM
JUCD VPR

No i'll be running it fast as long as i can, all out speed 24/7 is what i like!
Old 02-07-2007, 06:25 PM
JUCD VPR

Battery adive anyone? I need batteries for this little truck!
Old 02-07-2007, 07:17 PM
coleholley

I run venom 3000's on a mamba 5700 and on the stock motor and XL-5 and I haven't had any problems with them but I would get the ib4200's. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXLZK6&P=ML
I haven't had any but heard there really good.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:38 PM
JUCD VPR

Depends on where you are going to run the truck, how long you are going to run it without stopping and what terrain you run it on. If you are just going to make 1 or 2 speed runs up and down the street and then allow the motor to cool, you could probably run an 18 tooth pinion. But be careful as it will easily overheat the motor. If you are going to run in mowed grass, bashing aroung the yard, a 12 to 13 tooth pinion would be good. Whatever size pinion you get, carefully monitor the motor heat as you run the truck. Don't allow the motor to get so hot you can't touch it, or worse yet, you can smell it burning-hot.
Do you have a link to the exact type of ones i need? I don't want to buy the wrong one. Also to avoid some heating issues i think i will buy a heat sink. Might cool it down a bit and help out. So i assume since i want to go fast ALOT and not just one or two bursts up the street i should stay away from the 18T pinion. So your saying a 12 or 13 for me?
What kind of speed off the line will i have? What about top speed ?
Old 02-08-2007, 08:55 AM
Eman77

Dude, you sure ask about "expected top speed" a whole lot. Why does it really matter for bashing, if you're just having fun?

Since top speed varies with motor and gearing so much, this is probably why no one has answered the question a lot.

You want to know what type of exact pinion - there are some listed on Traxxas's site:
http://www.traxxas.com/products/elec...ccessories.htm

You can also look at their part list here:
http://www.traxxas.com/products/elec...pede_parts.htm

Look at the pinion gears there for part #s and pitch. I imagine other 48-pitch pinions would do. Look on Tower for some, buy a whole variety pack and test several out!

...I do wish more folks would look at the website of the actual R/C vehicle manufacturer - there is usually a ton of good info there that folks ask over and over here (not just you man, it happens all over the place).
Old 02-08-2007, 09:35 AM
JUCD VPR

ORIGINAL: Eman77

Dude, you sure ask about "expected top speed" a whole lot. Why does it really matter for bashing, if you're just having fun?

Since top speed varies with motor and gearing so much, this is probably why no one has answered the question a lot.

You want to know what type of exact pinion - there are some listed on Traxxas's site:
http://www.traxxas.com/products/elec...ccessories.htm

You can also look at their part list here:
http://www.traxxas.com/products/elec...pede_parts.htm

Look at the pinion gears there for part #s and pitch. I imagine other 48-pitch pinions would do. Look on Tower for some, buy a whole variety pack and test several out!

...I do wish more folks would look at the website of the actual R/C vehicle manufacturer - there is usually a ton of good info there that folks ask over and over here (not just you man, it happens all over the place).
I'm asking because i don't want a slow ***** truck thats why. I'm not talking only top speed, i want off the line power along with good top speed. Basically what ever will make it faster without burning up the motors when i feel like flying down the street 10 times in a row.
Isn't this what a FORUM is for? To ASK QUESTIONS? I'm trying to see what set ups other people run and use that work well, not only to get top speed but off the line power also. I want to find a good medium. SO yah i'm going to ask questions. I'd rather ask them have to try several different ones and keep taking the motor out and adjusting/changing them.
BUT thanks seriously thanks for the info.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:42 AM
Eman77

Wow, hostility mixed with sarcasm, completed with a "thanks". Ok then, best of luck to you.

Yes, these forums are for questions, but it gets frustrating when folks ask and ask and demand answers to some things over and over and get impatient, but yet never check, say, the Traxxas site (pinion part #s, pitch, for example). Just trying to help folks help themselves - you get quicker answers that way sometimes.

I've probably linked folks to the Traxxas site and parts list 4 times in the last 4 days. I'm just shocked that no one bothers to look there.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:09 AM
Unplugged

I've probably linked folks to the Traxxas site and parts list 4 times in the last 4 days. I'm just shocked that no one bothers to look there.
I hear you. I provided exact links to motor and battery sources, then gave a reply on gearing pros and cons with respect to speed and heat. Oh well.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:37 AM
JUCD VPR

I hear you. I provided exact links to motor and battery sources, then gave a reply on gearing pros and cons with respect to speed and heat. Oh well.
Yes you did and i appreciate both of your guy's help. I'm just saying i wanted to know what others ran. the traxxas site can't tell me what other pede owners experienced. So thats why i asked some of those questions.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:01 PM
Eman77

Fair enough! I do hope you get your answers...I guess I was just being really pessimistic, since "fast" can be objective from one person to the next. Still, if someone ran with a similar setup you're asking about and has MPH numbers or just good feedback to post, that would be a good thing!
Old 02-08-2007, 12:46 PM
JacksSpleen

You may want to watch out for that 11 turn motor as the XL-5 is only rated to handle a 15 turn 540 and 12T 550. You may be looking into a new esc soon. I have the Ib4200 in my pede, it runs great.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:26 PM
JUCD VPR

ORIGINAL: JacksSpleen

You may want to watch out for that 11 turn motor as the XL-5 is only rated to handle a 15 turn 540 and 12T 550. You may be looking into a new esc soon. I have the Ib4200 in my pede, it runs great.
Hmm intresting. That would be no good having to buy a new ESC.
IB4200 huh? 6 or 7 cell?
Old 02-08-2007, 01:30 PM
Eman77

I'm running a Stampede XL-5 with the stock 12T 550 motor and 7 cell IB4200s from BoomBoom batteries. Still running the stock gearing, and it's been so darned cold I haven't had a chance to run it outside (full speed) yet, as the truck is pretty new. Gotta wait....
Old 02-08-2007, 01:33 PM
JUCD VPR

I'm running a Stampede XL-5 with the stock 12T 550 motor and 7 cell IB4200s from BoomBoom batteries. Still running the stock gearing, and it's been so darned cold I haven't had a chance to run it outside (full speed) yet, as the truck is pretty new. Gotta wait....
Cool, can you let me know how well that battery works? I'm thinking about getting one. You should see a good speed increase with those over 6 cells correct?
Do you have a 6 cell to compaire it to?
Old 02-08-2007, 01:34 PM
JUCD VPR

You run the hump pack correct?
Old 02-08-2007, 01:47 PM
Unplugged

ORIGINAL: JacksSpleen

I have an older Stampede with a different speed control in it so 11T motors are not a problem. Knowing the motor limit for a XL-5, a good 7-cell IB4200 pack probably is the best way to go for an instant speed boost.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:54 PM
Eman77

JUCD VPR - you should see a speed increase from 6 to 7 cells. I do have a Radio Shack GP3300 6 cell stick pack to compare to - problem is, it's been 10 F or less here the last several weeks (-12 F today!), so I have had 0 chance to run it outside and open it up, really. I will give feedback when I can compare, but I just don't see it happening soon, unfortunately (it's kind of why I haven't suggested much to you so far, since I can't really speak from experience yet on the Stampede).

It's from boomboom, and a side x side hump pack. Problem is, they put the 7th cell hump on the end of the stick (sitting on top/between the 5th and 6th cells). So on one end of the Pede in the battery tray, the batt goes under the ESC - that hump won't fit. Go the other way, and the hump gets in the way of the plastic piece the Pede uses to secure down the receiver and that battery end.

I got mad, since they assured me it would fit with no mods. (A regular hump pack with the hump very near the middle of the pack would be fine!).

I ended up cutting a large notch in that plastic piece that secures the Rx to get it to fit. Also had to file down a couple nubs in the end of the batt tray, as the side x side packs run a tad longer than a stick (tight fit).

So it works now, but I'd really recommend getting that hump in/near the middle if you go 7 cells. That plastic piece I took a chunk out of? I had to buy a 2nd one, since the first time I tried to cut it, it split really badly and ruined it. Arg.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.