Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

need some help deciding :)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 11:29 PM
RCnooblet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some help deciding :)

hey everyone, im brand new to the forum, my name is adam

well i need some help deciding on what my first r/c truck should be. im looking at something below $200. i was looking at the traxxas stampede, that looked pretty good for the price, but then i saw the Speedy Cobra... is that truck any good? its only 95 bucks, and the specs are as good as the stampede's (from what i can tell) i figure the reason its cheaper would be the brand name and also the quality. is it worth the money? should i go with the 'pede? im looking for a truck thats pretty fast and can handle rough terrain. any ideas? what would your recommend?

thanks a lot everyone!
Old 02-08-2007, 12:33 AM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: need some help deciding :)

I don't know anything about the Speedy Cobra, but I can tell you that you WILL break parts, whatever truck you buy. The Stampede is a tough truck to beat for the price and parts and hop-ups are available everywhere! You will probably be hard pressed to find parts for the Speedy Cobra (which is a cheesy name, anyway ).

The Stampede is a great truck, whether it is your 1st or 50th hobby grade rc.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:21 AM
paintstikker

Never heard of the speedy cobra, but it sounds like junk. The pede is the best entry level RC out there IMO, It's not the best, but it is a very nice durable truck.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:25 AM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry posted this in your other thread.
I say Stampede XL- hands down!

Take a look at the vids.
Speedy cobra ~ at the bottom of the page
http://cgi.ebay.com/SPEEDY-COBRA-RC-...QQcmdZViewItem

Or
Stampede Xl-5 ~ Vid at the bottom of page
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Traxxas-Stam...QQcmdZViewItem

It's a no brainer, Stampede all the way. BUT if you had $300.00 I'd say E-SAVAGE! I have one and it's awesome

I JUST bought a Stampede XL-5. Did i need it? NO. I already have an E-Maxx thats brushless and an E-Savage but the Stampede looked cool and it's inexpensive so i bought one. Should be fun i can't wait to get it.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:28 AM
paintstikker

I'll reword that, it's the best ever RC you can get for the price, and has many options, I didn't mean it wasn't good, I was talking about more expensive RC systems...[:@]
Old 02-08-2007, 01:31 AM
JUCD VPR

Basically what were all saying is, speedy cobra = crap.
Under $200.00 bucks your best bet is to get the Stampede XL-5.

Just so you know most pede's don't come with batteries BUT on e-bay they have a regular pede no batts are charger 165 bucks, with charger and 1 battery i think it's 195 bucks
Old 02-08-2007, 03:04 PM
RCnooblet

alright thanks everyone. i think im gonan go with the pede like i first thought i would. you say it does not come with battery and charger? but most sites say "traxxas stampede xl5 RTR" meaning Ready To Run right? wouldnt that mean battery and chrger included?

i found an xl5 "rtr" for $180, and a regular pede "rtr" for $150

so, is it worth spending the extra 30 bucks for the xl5, or should i get the regular pede and just buy upgrades with the saved money. so basically my main question is normal pede, or xl5? and why

Old 02-08-2007, 03:12 PM
JUCD VPR

Buy the Xl-5.
Like i said on e-bay some are RTR and come with batts and charger and some don't. i just bought my Pede Xl-5 for $165.00 BUT that dosen't come with batts and charger. I already have a good charger and i wanted more powerful batteries. So i'm going with a 7 cell IB 4200 pack and or a 7 cell 4200 SMC pack.

For you, you should get the RTR and make sure it has batteries and charger. When you get a little more money buy a 7 cell IB4200 pack and it should make your XL-5 faster.

It;s only 30 bucks for a new and improved pede, buy the new one. It has the better ESC (XL-5)
Old 02-08-2007, 03:37 PM
samsdad

Another option would be an Evader ST. I just bought one from Tower minus the radio for $114. You can get the RTR version with the radio for around $190. I think they also have the ultimate combo with a charger and battery pack for just over $200. I plan on racong mine this summer, so I'm not too sure yet how durable it is. If you plan on racing, either go with the pede or Evader. Just my 2 cents
Old 02-08-2007, 03:45 PM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ready to run means that you do not have to build the truck from a kit, or outsource the electronics for it; everything is included-for the vehicle. That does not always include batteries or charger, but if it does you can bet that they are not worth using. The charger would probably take forever and the battery would give you minimal performance.

You need to buy a good charger and good battery packs if you want to really enjoy your new truck. If you don't have enough, you might want to save up some more money before you make the mistake of buying cheap batteries.

.........just my opinion.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:46 PM
pm5k

Yea if you plan on racing you should go with the evader, but just for general backyard bashing I say the pede wins hands down. The pede will be more durable and better for jumping.
If you plan on doing a lot of on road driving I would go with the rustler because from what I hear the pede flips easy when turning.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:12 PM
JacksSpleen

Yes the Pede does flip over in high speed turns. You will need a charger and good battery pack. I got mine a couple of weeks ago. It awsome truck. This is what I got.

Pede
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXNJJ0**&P=0
Rpm bumper Which you'll want
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEV91&P=M
Charger you want a peak charger
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCLD5&P=M
Battery IB4200
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...p?&I=LXLZK6&P=

It came out to be 260 with a 25 dollor off coupon now I see they have a 30 dollor off coupon on 199$ purchase so you would be looking at 255. I also found a deal on some GP3300 at radio shack for 25 bucks. You just have to make sure there a the good ones (should be green and orange with GP on the cells).
Old 02-08-2007, 04:56 PM
RCnooblet

alrigth thanks a lot. so should i just get the rtr without batteries and charger, becasue i already have a charger for those batteries (i can handle the long charge time) and use the 30 bucks i saved on the package to just get better batteries?