Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

New to Electric Cars...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 10:39 PM
dagberry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Electric Cars...

I have a few basic questions about electric vehicles. I currently have an old Traxxas Nitro Buggy and I'm wanting to try out the electric side of this hobby. These questions may be pretty stupid but I literally know nothing about electric cars/setups. Also, not sure if this will help or not but I'm planning on purchasing a Traxxas Rustler with the XL-5. I figure that would be a good starter vehicle. If anyone has a better recommendation for a good starter vehicle under $300 I'd like to get some input. Anyway, here's some of my questions:

How does the battery pack affect the car? I know the more powerful battery will provide longer runtimes, but does it increase the power output any? Does the power immediately start to drop or does it maintain pretty well until the battery is almost dead?

About how long is the average runtime for the different batteries?

Any recommendations on chargers and battery types and sizes?

For the Rustler in particular, is there a specific kind of 6 cell battery I need to get?

Do chargers make a difference in the battery power or is it basically just different charge times?

Would it be smart to purchase a few batteries so I can have one charging while I'm running the other one?

I know the acceleration is much better than nitro vehicles, are there any other significant advantages?

If anybody has any tips or advice I'd be glad to hear it.
I appreciate the help in advance!

Old 02-12-2007, 11:03 PM
rcxboy

Default RE: New to Electric Cars...

With lipo and higher end nimh the power is constant for most of the run (well, the whole run with lipo). With higher end batteries the power output is usually more ie they have a higher voltage.

I can't help on the runtime for a rusty. Runtimes vary with different vehicles.

Go for some good nimh preferably, but some the cheaper things can be good too. Make sure you get nimh batteries with at least a 3000mah capacity. Good batts would be something like IB4200 which are about $40 a pack. If you can't afford to spend that much on batteries then get some GP3300 packs from your local radioshack for about $20-25 each. I would suggest the Duratrax Pihrana AC/DC Peak charger, it's about $50 on tower.

Specific chargers won't make a huge difference (although some have different charging methods and whatnot, lets forget that for the mo), but basically the higher amperage you charge at, the faster it charges and it will usually have a higher voltage and runtime, but it can shorten the battery's life.

i would say get three batteries, especially over getting say two good packs.

I really can't be bothered listing more the advantages over nitro, they're pretty obvious..Electric is cheaper, cleaner, quieter, and can be faster.

Edit: Oh yeah you might want to look at a kit, such as the Tamiya Dark Impact too. Kits are really good fun to assemble.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:15 PM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

First question, are you only into buggies? How about Monster trucks?
If you like Monster Trucks, then under $200.00 buy a Stampede XL-5. (no batts and charger included, 2w drive) ~ $165.00
Want the BEST STOCK moster truck on the market then buy an E-Savage (comes with batteries and charger, 4 wheel drive) ~ $330.00

Your questions..

How does the battery pack affect the car? I know the more powerful battery will provide longer runtimes, but does it increase the power output any? Does the power immediately start to drop or does it maintain pretty well until the battery is almost dead?
The number of CELLS increase the POWER making it go FASTER.
The MAH rating refers to the RUNTIME.

About how long is the average runtime for the different batteries?
Depends on the MAH of the battery anything from 5-15+ minutes

Any recommendations on chargers and battery types and sizes?
A twin peak charger from tower hobbies. Battery size and types depend on the vechicle in my opinion

For the Rustler in particular, is there a specific kind of 6 cell battery I need to get?
BUY a 7 Cell

Do chargers make a difference in the battery power or is it basically just different charge times?
From what i've experience just different charge times but some chargers are more complicated and can do other things.

Would it be smart to purchase a few batteries so I can have one charging while I'm running the other one?
DEFINATELY! Buy 3X's as many as the truck needs, because after one pacl your going to want to keep playing with it and then just rotate out the batts on the charger.

I know the acceleration is much better than nitro vehicles, are there any other significant advantages?
No mess, no fuel, its a totally different world. I like both Electric and Nitro.

Hope i helped a little.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:44 AM
dagberry

I appreciate the input. I've thought about the kit cars but I haven't really seen many of them, I'll check out the Tamiya Dark Impact. I'll have to check out the E-Savage too, that's one that I haven't looked at. That helps alot though, thanks again!
Old 02-13-2007, 01:10 AM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: dagberry

I appreciate the input. I've thought about the kit cars but I haven't really seen many of them, I'll check out the Tamiya Dark Impact. I'll have to check out the E-Savage too, that's one that I haven't looked at. That helps alot though, thanks again!
If you are into Electric Monster trucks, Get the E-SAVAGE, trust me i have the E-Savage, E-Maxx (now brushless), and the Stampede XL-5.
The E-Savage stock out of the box whips up on everything it is by FAR the BEST STOCK MONSTER TRUCK hands down!
Old 02-13-2007, 01:19 AM
Raguvian

You should get a Micro-T RTR.
Those things are awesomely fun. I'd love one to tool around the house.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:02 AM
rcxboy

In reply to your PM- The DI is a excellent quality model, Tamiya is a big name in RC (they are probably the largest RC company).

The 540 "silver can" it includes is a fair motor. It's the same motor Tamiya included with their kits 20 years ago...

It will seem plenty fast at first, don't worry.

Here's my DI, it has the silver can in it. The white car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS9n2JeVaW0
Old 02-13-2007, 08:21 PM
dagberry

Just an FYI, I decided to go with the E-Savage. I figured that since my 5 year old son will be driving this alot I'd be better off with a tough monster truck. The only thing I wish it had was a speed control kind of like the traxxas vehicles have where I could limit the power output. It looks like a pretty nice vehicle, especially since I'll only need to get 4 AA batteries to run it. Thanks again for the help and advice!
Old 02-13-2007, 10:46 PM
rcxboy

4AA? I think you mean 8AA batteries.

I can see why you chose the E-savage, it would be much more suited for a 5 year old than the DI.

If you buy an aftermarket computer radio (can be had for as little has $50 for just the tx, all you would require, although i would personally spend about $130 for an FM set) you could limit the power by whatever you wanted.