Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Question for those who have owned Novak and Mamba

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 11:50 AM
Getrdone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for those who have owned Novak and Mamba

I have had the Novak GTB with both 4.5 and 5.5 motors for 8 months. I really liked this system. However, last night my esc had a little problem. I was carrying my truck and accidentally turned on the power switch. I was able to hang on to it, but in the process I locked the wheels with my arm and caused the esc to start smoking. I'm probably going to replace the power capacitor to see if that helps bring it back to life, but I'm also thinking it might be time for a new system. If you have owned both systems, please give me your honest answer to which system is better. I like the fact that the Mamba Max system is cheaper, programmable by computer, and has a low voltage cutoff. I'm still concerned about the cogging issue, but have heard many responses on this forum that it can be overcome when programmed right. I really just want people that have had both systems to respond please.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:33 PM
rc10b4_racer

Default RE: Question for those who have owned Novak and Mamba

i never experienced cogging unless i go reverse and then blast the throttle
Old 02-19-2007, 12:35 PM
Access

The mamba has a thermal shutdown function that would have probably saved the ESC in the situation you describe above.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:01 PM
Getrdone

The Novak has supposedly has one too. The Power cap is cracked and needs replaced. This might make the esc run ok, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:59 PM
mattnin

I have owned a GTB with a 5.5r and now I have a mamba 5700 and soon a 7700. Anyway, I only ever race with those systems, haven't bashed once yet with the mamba. If smooth power delivery is what you are concerned about, don't worry because the mamba steps up to the plate. I race 2WD mod truck with a MF2, definitely a class where smooth power is needed and the mamba does the job just fine. I am using a 13t pinion with the stock spur, the track is short/medium clay, loose dusty that can groove about the 3rd week. I have also used that same mamba in my jconcepts BJ4WE, another race buggy, and it performed great.

The mamba can cog though, although it is VERY minor, practically unnoticeable. After racing a gtb for a year, I was extra sensitive to the cogging issue in the mamba. I ran 4400mah lipo saddles, IB3800s and still noticed a small amount of cogging. I know some people will say it is my batteries, but I don't think so. I take pride in my batteries and charge them well. I use a balancer every time with the LIPO, and I balance the IB3800s regularly and discharge them every time.

However, last time I raced, I didn't notice any cogging at all. It may be the new firmware, maybe I just became accustomed to it, I don't know. I did changed motor timing from low to normal. I didn't notice any cogging or hesitation at all.

So, there ya go. This is my honest opinion of the mamba. I can definitely say I will not be using another brushless system in the foreseeable future. I have used the mamba in brushed mode with stock motors too and it works great. I am not going back to novak, or LRP, or even tekin. I love my mamba.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:01 PM
mattnin

Oh, I also wanted to say, last week, my truck was the only one doing wheelies down the straight away.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:36 PM
s7jstep1

stupid question: what is cogging?[sm=red_smile.gif]
Old 02-19-2007, 02:49 PM
-Inverted-

ORIGINAL: s7jstep1

stupid question: what is cogging?[sm=red_smile.gif]
Low speed stuttering found when using brushless sensorless motors.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:13 PM
Getrdone

Thanks mattnin! That's the kind of report I was hoping for. I don't race, but I like to have a race-worthy truck for my own sake. This is the 2nd blown power cap for my Novak system and I'm kind of tired of giving Novak money. I bought a lipo module for my lipo and it works well until I need to pop in one of my Nimh packs. Then it has premature shut downs because the nimh's can't stay above 6.2 volts under heavy loads. I have also bought the glitch buster and another fan (the fan sucks). I hope that if I buy a Mamba that it prooves to be a little more durable.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:51 PM
Easy rider

If you want my honest opinion , here it goes. I own like 4 or 5 Novak brushless systems and two Mamba Max systems.

i like the Novak's but I LOVE the Mamba's. Gonna sell my Novaks on ebay soon and replace them with Mamba's. I run them with lipo's in both on and off-road and I never noticed any cogging.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:03 PM
rcmaster103

I had the SS5800 and now I have the Mamba 5700kv. The Novak was pretty good, but it started to shutoff from overheating. The Mamba has so much more power and using it with the computer is awesome. I would never buy anything else after having the Mamba. There is a tiny bit of cogging when going from reverse to forward, but other than that it is truly awesome.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:03 PM
Maxime

My girflriend has the Novak that comes with the XXX-T RTR brushless (it's a SS4300 system). First ESC burned after about 10 packs, then sent it for repair. One month later got a new one under warranty, and it burned after 2 packs. Got a third one under warranty, and so far it works good. I must say though... The RTR comes geared 20/88 from the factory, and on the Novak site they say to gear it 16/86 or 17/88 ( http://www.teamnovak.com/download/in...pecgearing.pdf ). So someone must be smoking crack at Novak or Losi.... but the stock gearing doesn't appear to be right. Now it's geared as per the Novak instructions and it works fine.

I have two Mamba Max ESCs and one MM5700 motor. So far I love them. Very adjustable, and minor cogging when setting High start power and no punch control. However my batteries are not in great shape (bashing batteries..... will get new one when/if I race this year). The connectors on this system are critical. Deans plugs for the batteries will be perfect, but I had a bad bullet connector on the MM motor when I got it new so there was A LOT of cogging. After discovering the connector was bad and changing it, no more problems.

So to answer your question... I think the Mamba Max is better. If you race, the Mamba Max motor is not ROAR legal. You can use the ESC with a ROAR legal motor, such as your Novak motor. The ESC isn't optimized for those motors so you might experience a bit more cogging but Castle is supposed to come out with a new firmware that will correct that. Just make sure you recalibrate your ESC when using a non-Mamba motor!
Old 02-19-2007, 09:30 PM
Doahh

Mamba > Novak
Old 02-19-2007, 09:35 PM
-Inverted-

ORIGINAL: Doahh

Mamba > Novak
Neu>Mamba.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:40 PM
Doahh

Neu = 2xMamb*****$$

It cost around twice as much
Old 02-19-2007, 10:43 PM
-Inverted-

ORIGINAL: Doahh

Neu = 2xMamb*****$$

It cost around twice as much
Get what you pay for.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:11 PM
Getrdone

I just thought I would update you guys on the status of my Novak. I replaced the power cap and as soon as I plugged the battery in the esc started to hiss and get hot. I've always been a suppoter for the Novak GTB, but I have to say that I'm not too impressed with how long this esc lasted (less than a year). I'm definitly going to save my pennies and get a Mamba Max next go around. How much do you think I should sell my motors for? I've got the 4.5 and 5.5 Velociti and they are in great shape.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:14 PM
zephar123

One thing I can say for mamba that really impresses me over novak. If you smoke your mamba for any reason. You can get a new one form them for 55 bucks. I accidently solder batteries on backwards and smoked mine they had no problems giving me a new one for 55. Which to me is just incredible service. I have never had issues with cogging if I have the reverse turned off. oh and drag should be at 20% if you want a hair of the brush feeling. anymore and get issues to.

Thats all I can really say As I don't own a novak brushless, but have delt with novak in past on repairs and there not near as friendly infact big reason I will not own a novak is Far as I am concerned there warranties are crud.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:36 PM
mr.sharrock

I have two of the novak brushless setups, I use the Super Sprt 5800 in a Losi XXX4 4wd buggy that has been in near constant use since the SS/5800 package became available the only problem is that it runs very hot with the tight fitting body of the Losi 4wd buggy. It will go into thermal shutdown during extended runing Ib4200 six cell packs . However during actual racing it has never shut down during a race. My SS/4300 cobo is used in my sons MRC (Academy) SB Sport and is a great setup he beats the snot out of it has never had a problem. So for me the novaks have been really great. I also recently purchased one of the Mamba Maxx 7700 setups to build a Ascociated TC4 team kit that I bought off of ebay. I have only gotten about two runs on the kit since I have been sidetracked with the new Sportwerks recoil project that I have embarked upon but the Mamba really seems fast, actually insanely fast. I don't have the TC4 set up right yet to do speed runs but hopefully I will soon. I would love to see what the 7700 is capable of.

Eric
Old 02-21-2007, 03:43 PM
BoysToys

I had both at one time. I had a Novak GTB/Velociti 5.5R and a Mamba Max 5700. I sold one. Now I only own the Mamba Max 5700. Nuff said!
Old 02-21-2007, 03:54 PM
Easy rider

ORIGINAL: zephar123

One thing I can say for mamba that really impresses me over novak. If you smoke your mamba for any reason. You can get a new one form them for 55 bucks. I accidently solder batteries on backwards and smoked mine they had no problems giving me a new one for 55. Which to me is just incredible service. I have never had issues with cogging if I have the reverse turned off. oh and drag should be at 20% if you want a hair of the brush feeling. anymore and get issues to.

Thats all I can really say As I don't own a novak brushless, but have delt with novak in past on repairs and there not near as friendly infact big reason I will not own a novak is Far as I am concerned there warranties are crud.
I must say I love the warrantie of Novak aswell. If there's something wrong with your Novak stuff , talk to Charlie , he's the main man. Once I had a problem with my 1st gen SS 5800 and I sent it over to them for repair. It was out of warranty but they replaced the ESC for free and gave me the SS+ ESC instead of the old SS for FREE , including one extra 5800 motor for FREE. You gotta like that. I live in Europe but I received the new ESC and motor after 3 weeks already , that's amazing. Europe --> USA --> NOVAK repair service --> Europe in 3 weeks. They didn't charge me a thing except for 12 $ for shipping. Honest is honest.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:05 PM
BoysToys

ORIGINAL: mr.sharrock

the Mamba really seems fast, actually insanely fast. I don't have the TC4 set up right yet to do speed runs but hopefully I will soon. I would love to see what the 7700 is capable of.

Eric
I am sure it will put down some good numbers. Here is a pic of what my Mamba Max 5700 with a MaxAmps 3s2p lipo in a XXX-T put down last weekend. This in a stadium truck on the street. I can't imagine this setup in a touring car.

Old 02-21-2007, 06:07 PM
Doahh

I should get me a 3 cell li-po
Old 02-21-2007, 08:47 PM
mr.sharrock

BoysToys very impressive numbers. I was thinking I was doing well with my 1/14th scale recoil at 36.6 mph. How does the truck handle all that power? I image at that speed some amazing cartwheels could happen.

Eric[:-]
Old 03-06-2007, 06:44 PM
xeliman

hallo everybody i own a mamba max esc too i want to ask if is possible to add a power capacitor to it.and what type of capacitor will do the job? and where to add it too.thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.