Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

electric motor, which is best

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 02:26 AM
rcidiot728

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electric motor, which is best

i recently bought a team orion core stock motor, i was wonderin if there was a better stock motor that i could have bought, my friend had an old p2k pro, is that a better motor?
Old 02-12-2003, 03:10 AM
fun_dude101

it all depends on what vehicle u put it in. Do u want top speed or acceleration. Track conditions. If I remember right, the Orion Core is a top speed type of motor. Where the p2k is a torque motor, meaning that u will have more low end power. I have a p2k in my T3 to give me that punch around the corners and stuff. But on my oval racer I have a Revenge of the monster motor. A top speed type of motor. best of luck
Old 02-12-2003, 09:56 PM
rcidiot728

i have it in a traxxas stampede, i just tested it about an hour ago, and you were right it is a lot faster, but i might have to get a larger pinion gear cuz it heats up a lot. and i noticed the not so great torque when i tried to reverse away from a wall, it got stuck on a hill so i had to turn it around to get it up

i just have the car for fun, the only tracks that i can go to are like an hour away or more, so im just a street racer
Old 02-13-2003, 01:53 AM
FROGGY-RCU

you want to gear the orion core motor down smaller pinion not up l
Old 02-13-2003, 02:22 AM
fun_dude101

thats right
u need a smaller tooth pinion if u want more acceration. When I had my revenge of the monster in my truck I ran 17 pinion and 84 tooth Spur gear. And it worked really well. Remember if u want more acceration u go down with pinion gear or up with Spur gear.
Old 02-14-2003, 12:29 AM
rcidiot728

i know that, but i have enuff acceleration, i put the smaller spur gear on it cuz i wanted a better top speed, but im gonna have to buy a new pinion gear
Old 02-14-2003, 09:09 PM
kbrent_d

One thing I've noticed with my trucks, (and this might help someone out there trying to get the gearing right) is that if I have a motor gear ratio to low then the performance is terriably noticeable, but if I have the ratio to high the motor performs very well even if it is to high of a ratio and I am missing out on some potential top speed.

So I would tell someone to start real high and gradually decrease the ratio until the motor just barely gets hot.
Old 02-15-2003, 12:12 AM
rcidiot728

thats what happened to mine when i switched he gears, after i ran it with the 81 tooth spur gear, or maybe it was 84, the difference wasnt completely noticeable, but the motor was a whole lot cooler when i was done