Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc
View Poll Results: A poll
Awsome
33.33%
Good
22.22%
Ok
22.22%
Could be better
11.11%
Horrible
11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

New Rustler Spur Setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 02:02 PM
Takedown
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Rustler Spur Setup

Ok my brother has had his new xl5 rustler for about 4 months now and has went through 5 spurs. I have the original rustler and have the same setup and havent went through any spurs ever. I have always set the mesh right and it ran great for about 5-10 runs then zzzz another spur gone? Has traxxas made there new spurs cheaper? I'd love for him to upgrade to kimbrough but the revo slipper setup makes it impossible. My friend uses a 87t kimbrough spur with diff balls instead of slipper pegs and it works great! I have now done the same to my e-maxx and have not had any problems. How should I convert the slipper to the old setup?

All help appreciated.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:26 AM
Xanderdos

Default RE: New Rustler Spur Setup

Hmm. The possibility is that he drives it in your backyard ? Because if he does its not like the track alot of little rock get in there and it eats your gears i learned that last friday at the track lol its was the second race and i go out there half way through it my gears just ***** all the way down lol ... The may be the problem.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:33 AM
hands without shadows

Default RE: New Rustler Spur Setup

I used to strip a lot of spurs because the transmission casing plastic gets mushy and the motor would shift a little. The solution is to find a washer that fits on top of the motor and drill two holes in it where the motor screws go. If you mount the washer on the spur side of the transmission the motor wont move and the plastic wont get mushy. With the old setup the spur is in kind of a stupid position and some pinions have to be flipped and moved all the way to the outside to work which makes them fall of sometimes, but if you put a 5x8 bushing behind the spur it moves it over far enough for everything to work right. The slipper pegs are useless, use some associated diff balls instead, they fit perfectly, dont wear, and a bag is like $2. The stock spurs are ok, but I have trouble finding 87t ones, Kimborough or Evader spurs fit, there is an 88t spur for the Evader that I like to use. The RPM gear cover should be used on any Rusty/Stampede because the stock one has a gap that can let rocks in. The old setup is nice if you know all the little tricks like this and Ive heard it holds up to power better.