Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

LIPO compatibility question

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 11:19 AM
y7deluxe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LIPO compatibility question

I have a DYN4925 Dynamite 4925 Tazer 15T ESC running with a NICD battery. I already had lipo chargers for my r/c helicopter and I was looking to purchase a LIPO for my r/c car. However, I just needed to know whether the ESC's have to be specially designed to handle the LIPO batteries. Also, if you know of any other problems I could run into that I'm not thinking about (LIPO having problems with the receiver or motor). If you have any recommendations for which LIPO battery I should purchase, please also post that. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:29 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: LIPO compatibility question

The esc will work with a lipo, but you'd have to make sure not to discharge past the LV limit. An extra lvc can be purchased to do this. A maxamps 5000 hv 2S will replace a subC 6 cell pack pretty good if you're using 1/10 scale chassis.

Here's a Low voltage cut-off. http://www.dimensionengineering.com/LipoShield.htm

Here's the maxamps 5000 hv. http://www.maxamps.com/proddetail.ph...o-5000-74-Pack
Old 04-08-2007, 12:06 PM
y7deluxe

Thanks for the advice. What is an lvc? I searched eBay for one and had no luck. Also, I tried to find a 500 hv 2S on eBay and had no luck either. Sorry for the lack of knowledge, but can you expand on those a little bit. And as far as the new LIPO goes, price isn't very important to me, so would there be any disadvantage to purchasing the best lipo on the market? Thanks.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:22 PM
guver

I edited post above, sorry it is 5000 mah.

A lvc is a device that will prevent the damage due to dischargeing too much.

Nothing at all wrong with buyin gthe best lipo. A couple of good ones are kokams and thunder powers.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:26 PM
y7deluxe

Are maxamps recommended over the Team Orion Platinum Edition 4800 LiPo Battery? I tried finding some comparisons on google, but didn't have any luck.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:53 PM
guver

I'm not sure as the maxamps may be a lower current, but when considering the cost they may be the better deal. I've not seen any discharge graphs on either cells.