Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

family fun...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 05:21 PM
jongscx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default family fun...

Hokay, I'm assuming i'm going to get tarred and feathered for this, but I'm looking for a set of cheap wally-world or radio-shack cars that my siblings and I can bash(is that the term?) with... I'm trying to get them interested in something other than the telly as well as get them outside.

What I'd be looking for would probobly include:

1) durable, able to handle a curb-check...or 8 and not die
2) be able to run well on rough asphalt
3) relatively cheap, as I'd need 2-3 whole sets
4) something with proportioned steering, not the all-or-nothing that you usually get
5) decently quick, we're hoping to get some seblance of drifting, even if it'll only be power-sliding

thanks
Old 04-30-2007, 05:27 PM
doox

Default RE: family fun...

not sure what your budget would be, but this seems to be a popular tough rtr http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXNJH9**&P=0

Plus parts are readily available.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:12 PM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This rally car is based on the Tamiya TT01 chassis, which parts are easy to find and upgrade. It is also 4WD, so you can drift if you want to:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJHZ6&P=7

I don't own one myself, but I have owned a TT01 and it is a good entry level car...............and the price cannot be beat for a ready to run (RTR) vehicle. Way better than any Wal-Mart car.

Jason
Old 04-30-2007, 06:34 PM
be4life182

Also, it seems like your looking for real cheap. So ill add that Tamiya makes entry level rc RTR that arent really hobby quality but are cheaper and still better then wally world.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:20 PM
jongscx

wow... yeah, i'll go a little over-budget with just one of those. I browsed the forums a bit and was surprised that someone got a motor and ESC for $400 at a sale... 0_0

I was hoping to spend a little less than $50 on both, possibly 3... maybe when i'm sure they'll stick with it, i'll invest in something more permanent...
What about the radio-shack X-modz series? anyone play around with those?
Old 04-30-2007, 11:59 PM
rcxboy

ORIGINAL: be4life182

Also, it seems like your looking for real cheap. So ill add that Tamiya makes entry level rc RTR that arent really hobby quality but are cheaper and still better then wally world.
**** off, Tamiya is hobby quality. You're a bit of a moron. Tamiya's entry level stuff is hobby quality, can you name one thing that is NOT hobby quality about it?

Tamiya also makes race quality and other hi tech kits, ie TRF415 and F-350....

the quick drive tamiyas are not hobby quality, but those are pretty damn uncommon anyway.

have you even owned a Tamiya? i would make statements like that based on opinion.

(obviously you can tell i feel strongly about this topic... )
Old 05-01-2007, 12:30 AM
mindwreck

werd tamiyas are excellent cars. even the cheapest of they're kits shows attention to details. I'm probably right in saying there are more tamiya fanatics then any other brand. not just using and driving. they just buy tamiyas just to collect them. they're vintage stuff can go for $1000s
Old 05-01-2007, 12:39 AM
turbotb0205
My Feedback: (31)

lol guys not to stick my nose in alot of you know tamiya better than me.. BUT im pretty sure hes talking about the QD stuff .. which isnt full hobby quality and not easily upgradeable repairable lol.. it even says so in the descriptions

all the way at the bottom http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDYA5&P=7 and before i get flamed lol i LOVE tamiya stuff just pointing that out
Old 05-01-2007, 02:14 AM
Fastlane750

how much are you willing to spend on 1 car?
Old 05-01-2007, 09:11 AM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am a father of three and I understand what you mean about not spending too much coin until you find out if everyone wants to stick with the RC thing. [sm=confused_smile.gif] For your budget, let me suggest the Mini Maulers (This is about as cheap as you can go):

http://www.hobbyzone.com/rc_trucks_h...FQI2ZQod0gvTUg

I owned three at one time and they are tough little trucks. They run on AA batteries, but I bought some of the rechargeable cells from Wal-Mart and you can run them for about 45 minutes at a time, which is twice the run-time of most 1:10 scale cars and trucks. All three of you can run together if you get them on three different channels and they come ready to run. Plus, they are supported by the company and you can get replacement and hop-up parts on-line if you ever want/need them.

Much better than any Wal-Mart toys, the Mini Mauler trucks get two thumbs up in my book! [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]

Jason
Old 05-01-2007, 11:13 AM
jongscx

yeah... my per-car budget is about as much as some of you guys probobly spend on fenders and body kits... (probobly a little less ... heh heh)

What about the X-mods series from Radio-Shack? I was looking more for on-road because that actually requires more finesse and skill to drive on asphalt than a truck (imho... probobly wrong tho) plus there aren't really many opportunities to use an off-road truck on an asphalt environment.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:22 AM
Slo-V Flyer

Actually, I have an xmod and I can barely drive it on the sidewalk or asphlat, due to it's extremely low ground clearance. It's only really good for smooth gym floor or marble style flooring, or maybe carpet or whatever they use for mini indoor tracks. The suspension components for the front have these spring posts that basically reach to the very bottom and bump into every little pebble and grit outdoors. However that is the onroad car only, if you get the truck version of the Xmod then you can have better luck driving outside.

And what you said about not having opportunity to use an off-road vehicle on-road doesn't quite make sense. You can just as easily drive those Mini-Maulers (or what have you) on the sidewalk or the take them onto a dirt patch or something. I can understand if you mean there isn't really any use of having an off-road truck if you're only going to drive it on asphalt, but then again, your not limiting yourself to only smooth pavement that way. And by the way, it takes equal or more skill I believe to drive something off-road in low traction conditions trying to keep it from spinning during a turn and landing a jump the right way and all that good stuff. Apples and Oranges I guess in a small way.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:07 PM
jongscx

yeah, srry about that... what i meant was it took a different skill set than what I was looking for...
Old 05-01-2007, 05:00 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

LOL RCXboy of course the QD isn't hobby grade and that is what he is referring to.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:01 PM
jongscx

..hobby grade?
Old 05-01-2007, 09:26 PM
be4life182

ORIGINAL: rcxboy

ORIGINAL: be4life182

**** off, Tamiya is hobby quality. You're a bit of a moron. Tamiya's entry level stuff is hobby quality, can you name one thing that is NOT hobby quality about it?

Tamiya also makes race quality and other hi tech kits, ie TRF415 and F-350....

the quick drive tamiyas are not hobby quality, but those are pretty damn uncommon anyway.

have you even owned a Tamiya? i would make statements like that based on opinion.

(obviously you can tell i feel strongly about this topic... )
I was actually talking about the QD, 80$ not quite hobby quailty but better then wally world...thanks tho