Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Troubling observations about brushless . . .

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 10:58 AM
RURC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Troubling observations about brushless . . .

Robbie-
Dont you have a emax? And that car has a section down both sides of the chassis for batteries dosent it? Or am I thinking of another. I dont nor have I ever had a emax so I am working on memory of photos. So my thought was that one 7.4 on each side would keep that balance right. That is all. Nothing else. If I am wrong about the chassis then I have made another mistake.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:02 AM
bxpitbull

ORIGINAL: RURC

bxpitbull-
Robbie is right. That is why I sent you the PM. I am working on a speed car for the challenge. But I never said it was easy. Powering a car to get 100 is not that hard really. It is keeping that car on the ground that is hard. I am still haveing a hard time with that part. Now getting to the 150 point is going to need a quantum leap in aspects to just hitting 100 mph. And we are working on a factory 1/8 purpose built BL buggy and I have just entered into a working partnership with someone rather well known in rc in doing a on road car also. So I hope to develope your wish before Christmas.

Robbie and all others.I am sorry that my statements allowed this to go off track.
Yea, which is why I said i would back off. But robbie, be sure to be as diligent when others stray off topic, not just when someone questions your "God" lol.

Valid point on keeping the cars on the ground. When they do those speed runs, must say, the cars are atrocious and downright weird looking.

I've seen your 1/8 scale buggy conversions. I am using that as a template to convert a nitro rs4 3 to electric. If you do it first, you will have stolen my idea and I'll hunt you down and spraypaint "cheater" on your Hummer.

You get that 1/8 scale on-road race car in the mix, I'll wash your truck the next time I'm in Florida.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:12 AM
robbie303

Yeah, I've an Emax, I actually have 3 (since I began RC-ing last month)
The chassis I'm using can hold 2 batteries, and it is also able to hold only 1 battery in the middle.
So, my Emaxx can handle both options.
I was merely thinking of the best possible solution.
Certainly in respect to the discussion we had of running motors on lower voltages (what the guy from CastleCreations suggested I should do)
So, if the higher voltage the better (within specs of ESC), then shouldn't 1 battery of 14.8V be better then 2 of 7.4V ?
Ebay has some nice offers to:
http://cgi.ebay.com/14-8V-4000-mah-l...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 07-25-2007, 11:52 AM
RURC

That Hecell will work. If it were my truck I would run the split pack set up and wire it as 14.8. I would put these packs on th eouter battery mounts. I am a true beliver in spreading weight out rather than building it up. There are others that think that it is more imortant to run the weight down the middle for gyroscopic reasons. I understand this but I only see that being relevant if you are spinning out of control and the mass will add to the gyroscopic progression of the roll. In general driving I know that it lowers teh cg that is very important.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:12 AM
robbie303

I think you are right. 2 packs is the best solution. For weight distribution, for keeping compatible with my other trucks and also for dividing the heat over 2 instead of over 1 battery.

I'll buy 2 packs of these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/7-4V-4000-Lithiu...QQcmdZViewItem

And this charger:
It has an AC110-240Volt input and is able to charge 2 cell simultaneously, it is kind of slow (1A) though, but that's not really a problem.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ALIGN-Lithium-Ba...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 07-26-2007, 08:45 AM
RURC

You will be looking at 4 hour charge times rufly. But Align makes good products. I have not used that one but Align in general is a good company. Did you know that the main part of their business is home appliances?
Old 07-26-2007, 08:53 AM
Lilredmachine

Wouldn't you be better off having a lithium charger that can charge one pack at 1C (In this case 4amps) as opposed to one that can charge both packs at 1 amp? I mean, you're waiting 2 extra hours with the Align charger?
Old 07-26-2007, 08:59 AM
robbie303

Personally, I think it's more comfortable to only have to do the charging process once (2 batteries simultaneously) instead of constantly having to keep an eye on whether the first battery has finished and then charge the second.
I feel nice with charging them at the same time.
Also, the AC input I like. no external ACDC converter neccessary. AND the nice price, 50 bucks... 4 Ampere chargers cost a lot more..
The Lipo's and charger will arrive next week, I'll keep you informed.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:31 AM
RURC

Please use the balancer. This will allow the batteries to last longer and run better. One of the new things comming out soon is the use of balance systems on the esc that will also help protect the batteries. Keep an eye out you will see it soon.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:46 AM
robbie303

You are right, the Align charger can charge 2 packs in series mode, or it can charge 2 packs in balance mode.
I'm not sure why anybody would want to use the series mode if they could charge in balance mode......
Old 08-15-2007, 07:33 PM
robbie303

Just received the 2 He-cell lipo's (7.4V, 4000mah, copper tab) and the Align charger.
The Lipo's are rocking. My Emaxx now accelerates much faster, top speed is much higher too.
I blew-up the (brand new) stock Traxxas slipper within 1 minute.
So, I installed the Robinson Double disk slipper kit, which has been working good for several hours now.
I want to try to install the 'Revo control torque' Slipper: http://www.traxxas.com/scripts/trxne...php?newsid=118
Tower sells them. But I can't find anybody who has done this succesfully.

Also, I want to update the steering blocks to Revo steering blocks. Since the turnbuckles and arms are already 3.3 style, I recon that when I install Revo CVD
's, I can then use Revo steering blocks ?

Another thing I'm thinking about is running the MambaMax on 5cell's. (11.1V+7.4V). Can the MambaMax handle that Voltage ?

I also ordered the Feigao 7XL and 9XL, to replace the standard CastleCreations CM36S-5700 motor. The XL series are supposed to get a lot les hot then the CC motor.

Also, I'm doubting between these 2 CF chassis:
1) http://www.xtremercracing.com/E_Maxx...ccessories.cfm ($190)
2) GorillaMax G3 race CF ($320)

It all costs a lot of money ....... While Traxxas now sells the Rustler VXL for $330, that truck does the same as my $3000 Emaxx.