Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Help picking a dependable and fast new buggy

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 10:09 PM
LITEGIDE24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help picking a dependable and fast new buggy

Hi,

My 1st time on the forum. I was looking for a new dune buggy. Basically it's for my son. I was looking at the Team Associated RC10 B3 or B4. Although, I'm a bit unsure of what motor to buy, speed control or radio. Would prefer a RTR but want a fast car - the neighbors are always racing up and down the street with their gas cars. No gas for my little guy.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction, I see that the B4 Stealth has replaced the B3. Is there that big of a difference? I'd surely buy the B3 if it's less exspensive and still available some place. My son actually likes the green and white one.

Is there prepainted bodies available for this car, what motor and speed control are reasonable, fast and dependable?

How fast are these cars anyway, his tamiya (about 7 years old that we bought used was fun but cracked ibn half upon contact w/a tree. It would maybe do 20 mph or so.

Does anybody know who has the best price on the RC10? my email is [email protected]

Thank you,

Phil
Old 03-10-2003, 07:24 AM
gvnick
My Feedback: (3)

Well. You could go the used route and save lots of money. But if you want to go new, then the B3 or B4 are great cars. If you can find a deal on a B3 thats fine. Or look a Losi's XXX. For a speed control I would consider a Novak Dually. They have no motor limit so your son wont outgrow the esc. The Novak Explorer is also a good cheaper alternative. For a motor I really like the Trinity Speedgems mods. They are inexpensive and perform well. I really like the Sapphire 17 turn single. Its a torquey motor and gets excellent run time.

Spending that extra $100 on a car will really save you alot in the future.
Old 03-10-2003, 09:57 AM
wildtxn

I think the new B4 will be an outstanding car. Team associated puts tons of time in engineering and research into all of there cars. check and see what your LHS carries before purchasing either. I would get a esc that can handle any turn limit to save yourself from purchasing another one later....i like Novak or LRP models without turn limit.

as for the motors, i've never ran speed gems, but for about 30mph with stock gearing and 21 tooth pinion, the trinity p2k2 is a great stocker, and if your looking for 45-50, drop a D5 10 Turn in it. might want to consider investing in some good batteries and charger up front as well vs. the 1500mah specials....

I'm running a T3 Factory Teamwith a D5 10t in it and it just flat out hauls A$%.

I've cracked the front top plate on it due to wife running it into brick wall head on at top speed, but still perfectly operational. daughter ran over it with her bike on accident yesterday and didn't break anything.
Associated has been one of the better brands i have owned.
Old 03-11-2003, 12:55 AM
LITEGIDE24

Default RC10's for sale

gvnick and wildtxn, thank you for the great information, I'll print it and use it for refference.

Is there an online dealer that has winter sales on Team Associated RC cars?

Actually any recommendations would help, there are no hobby shops in my area,. I don't mind mail order.

Thanks
Phil
Old 03-12-2003, 11:24 PM
jerniganrx7

Howa bouta "DURATRAXX EVADER BX",
ITS FAST AND CAN TAKE A BEATING I THINK YOU CAN BUY IT FOR
120.00 AND RTR FOR AROUND 200.00 I BELIEVE YOU GET AN ELECTRONIC SPEED CONTROL IN EITHER PACKAGE, I COULD BE WRONG.
Old 03-12-2003, 11:37 PM
ProCarbine2k1

Default hey

amen to that jerni....im not a duratrax freak but i have a killer bx, im not talking from the butt at this moment either lol. BX's are hard***** cars, that simple.. people who usually bust on em just dont know(about the car or what they are talking about).. ill try to tell you about them as much as i can.. first off, i started in the racing world with a pretty sweet rustler, then a ae b3, decent car, really was. then i canned everything for a good while, brought an rc 10 to life, sold it, then got a bx. honest to god, the bx flys, yeah it is pretty modded out, but this thing really does haul from the box. a GREAT esc is already installed with the buggy. shoot, i remember when my eyes about popped after kickin the thing into forward and watch it reel over backwards as it powered itself over! GREAT price on this by the way, and you can mod them out too. very durable, although ive heard people say they are prone to breaking in cold weather, i just havent had the problem. this car can be very competetive, all in what you use it for... i just know that duratrax backs their product 100%, any other questions im me....
Old 03-13-2003, 02:07 AM
LITEGIDE24

Default Jerni and Magic Xx

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I'm lookin at the duratrax right now in the magaizine it's the evader EP, do they have a buggy body with the skinny tires, the one in the Tower hobbies (year old catalog is an off road truck) RTR 169.00!

Phil
Old 03-13-2003, 02:26 AM
ProCarbine2k1

Default hey

the bx is not the same, you are looking at the stadium truck, get updated on your catalog, the bx only came out like last november!! look at tower, they have a great price riight now on it
Old 03-13-2003, 04:24 AM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

Remember what that previous guy said? Get something your son wont outgrow.. (gets ready to be flamed) The duratrax is a total entry level car. It will leave you begging for more speed and ability within the first week. Your best bet IS to spend that extra hundred or two, and get something that he can mature into and still enjoy like the B3/B4. Somebody also mentioned losi's XXX, but they didnt mention the XX4, the 4wd buggy. Thats another option for you. When you pay more for these cars, there is a reason. 99% of the time in this hobby you get what you pay for, LITERALLY. My ESC cost 20$ less than the evader car RTR, and somebody would rather have my ESC than that (gasp) toy Again, if your son is around the ages of 5-10, then go for the evader, he'll love it, but if hes preteen or becoming a young man, get something he wont be embarrassed to drive at the track or infront of his friends
Old 03-13-2003, 10:20 PM
ProCarbine2k1

Default hey

holy **** case, where you saying all that bs to piss me off?? dam..... anyways, the bx is entry, and race ready, entry simply means a newbie can learn with it becuse it doesnt have many bugs, and its very easy to learn with..and ready for whatever you throw at it, you can be just as competitive with this as anything. like i said ive had a team b3, they are nice, not much difference than the evader, i sure as heck DIDNT DOWNGRADE.
and case im not gonna flame you, im just gonna wonder why the heck you just said that, the thing that really burns me is the fact that you dont know what you are talking about, its very obvious.. you are some A hole behind a computer that has too many opinions for what he really knows(not much). and how do you get off saying "and somebody would rather have my ESC than that (gasp) toy"... you trying to impress someone? your speed control isnt all that, and my "toy" would out PERFORM your pile anyday.. oh yeah, isnt your esc rated for stock class?WOW
what is it about you that must start a fight in every forum? whether it be TMAXX'S suck, or you bustin' on someone else's stuff
Old 03-13-2003, 10:30 PM
caseyddr

Default Re: hey

Originally posted by Xx MR MAGIC xX
holy **** case, where you saying all that bs to piss me off?? dam..... anyways, the bx is entry, and race ready, entry simply means a newbie can learn with it becuse it doesnt have many bugs, and its very easy to learn with..and ready for whatever you throw at it, you can be just as competitive with this as anything. like i said ive had a team b3, they are nice, not much difference than the evader, i sure as heck DIDNT DOWNGRADE.
and case im not gonna flame you, im just gonna wonder why the heck you just said that, the thing that really burns me is the fact that you dont know what you are talking about, its very obvious.. you are just some A hole behind a computer that is way too opinionated for what he really knows(not much). and how do you get off saying "and somebody would rather have my ESC than that (gasp) toy"... you trying to impress someone? your speed control isnt all that, and my "toy" would out PERFORM your pile anyday.. oh yeah, isnt your esc rated for stock class?
sigh here we go LOL my ESC is a no turn limit built to preform for stock class, it adds punch to the engine and better take off. It's just like the 7.1, but like i siad, built specifically for stock. And yes, if you test it against other ESCs you can see a big difference. Anyways, comparing a B3's performance to that duratrax is like saying all chassis are the same. If that was the case, a cheap TL-01 could win every race, thats assuming there is apparently no difference with chassis. My ESC isnt the best by far, I rather have a Quantum Comp, but we cant all have what we want. Just because you can put a truck on a track, doesnt mean it is competative. That thing will get lapped over and over, no contest. I didn't say anything to make you mad, but apparently you are very defensive to your truck...
Old 03-13-2003, 10:37 PM
ProCarbine2k1

Default hey

sorry for pouncing on you bro, but really you need to watch the wording.. and we are talking about the bx, not the st
Old 03-13-2003, 10:40 PM
caseyddr

its ok, i guess i did word it wrong :O anyways you know what i meant i jus say truck cuz when i think offroad racing i think Mugen MST1 (my dream truck) to bad im poor and interested in mini heli's all the sudden.