Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Clodzilla Chassis

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 11:03 PM
ElectricGuy007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clodzilla Chassis

Looking at Clod stuff, my Bullhead wants to be fast. Is the Clodzilla IV Chassis anygood.
It says on New Era Models that it is intended for racing.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:02 PM
j.m.

Default RE: Clodzilla Chassis

Very cool chassis, might work well if your doing a scale build, but anything solid axle is never gonna be that good at racing.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:05 PM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The chassis seems to be pretty proven, as it has been around for a long time, but man oh man, why does it have to look so "home made"?! You will see when you get it... feels like someone who has a saw and aluminum plates at home made it...

(compare to the new generation of CNC aluminum chassis)
Old 11-01-2007, 02:52 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: j.m.

Very cool chassis, might work well if your doing a scale build, but anything solid axle is never gonna be that good at racing.
Well, not against full-blown independent suspension race rigs, but there are specific classes(like a spec class) just for racing clods...
Old 11-01-2007, 02:58 PM
ElectricGuy007

ORIGINAL: Lunchboxer

The chassis seems to be pretty proven, as it has been around for a long time, but man oh man, why does it have to look so "home made"?! You will see when you get it... feels like someone who has a saw and aluminum plates at home made it...

(compare to the new generation of CNC aluminum chassis)
I have not bought it yet. What do u mean by "HOMEMADE". I thought they CNC machine everything?
If it's as trashy as you say it is.....then it isnt worth the 300 bucks or whatever it costs.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:06 AM
whiteshark107

you might what to try www.clodparts.com they show you pics of all clod chassis and where to buy. I have the Clodzilla IV Chassis and like it but I don't race just bash.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:22 AM
j.m.

I like the way they did the sway bar mounts though, very ingenious.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:46 AM
Anomie

I agree. The sways are very simple, yet work well for stability at higher speeds. When I picked up my Clodzilla IV from Tower, it did look a bit unprofessional, but I soon realized that it was a great change from the stock chassis. That 4-link really helps, and gives the truck lots of flexibility.

I never raced it either, just cruised the backlots. It is billed as a 'race kit', though.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:18 AM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Homemade in the sense that it is mostly made of sheet aluminum, instead of billet aluminum where you machined parts out of a solid chunk... so it looks like someone could have made it if you give him a giant sheet of aluminum, some ruler, and a saw...

Obviously, that's exaggerated in the sense that all the cut are still done on a CNC machine, I am sure (prob. a CNC water jet?) but it is not milled...

The cantilever arms, for example.. is just a aluminum plate cut in a tranglular shape.. and then 3 holes are drilled.. it rides on a single bushing / bearing and it wubbles.. (since it rides on a single bearing..) see pic..

And here's what a Tamiya TXT cantilever arm (machined, fitted w/ dual bearings) and chassis look like... just for comparison..

Anyway, again, this is not a knock on the performance of the chassis.. I heard only good things about it.. and it is reasonably priced nowadays.. but just saying that it "looks" to be on the cheaper side.. again, just the "look"..

So this is just to give you a heads up so you know what to expect..

No doubt it will perform well and a huge upgrade to a stock Clod...

ORIGINAL: bmaglinger

I have not bought it yet. What do u mean by "HOMEMADE". I thought they CNC machine everything?
If it's as trashy as you say it is.....then it isnt worth the 300 bucks or whatever it costs.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42455.jpg
Views:	651
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	795292  
Old 11-02-2007, 09:32 AM
Lumpmister

I great site for clod upgrades is Thundertech Racing. They have some great chassis.

Here is their site:

http://www.thundertechracing.com/clodbust.htm