Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Nitro vs Electric

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro vs Electric

I always wanted to have this doubt cleared... Is Nitro only meant for experienced drivers??

I mean I am basher and ususally just drive my rusty in the backyard and on a paved road... When should I think of moving up a level? And should I stick to just electric or should I move to a Nitro buggy???

Any thread in the forum which lists pros and cons of Electric vs Nitro???
Old 11-03-2007, 12:49 PM

Default RE: Nitro vs Electric

I have nitro and electric. But I don't have brushless. I wouldn't get a nitro. I would add the Velineon system to your rustler. When you want to move up to even higher speeds just add a cell to the battery.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:05 PM
My Feedback: (2)

How long have you been driving? Like I tell everyone else, nitro is alot of work. Breaking in, tuning, and more. However it is alot of fun. It takes lots of patients, knowledge, and time. But you can't avoid it if you don't try. I can give some suggestions if you are interested. One last thing I woul ddo is keep your electric as a backup. When nitro is down its always good to have a backup.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

im for sur a basher, i started with a nitro sport, but now have a stampede. i liked the power of nitro, but i would have to spend 1 hour just to use it for 30 minutes, a half hour for set up and cleaning the thing when i was done. with electric its just plug n go. and electrics have more torque(comparing my xl5 pede to my 1.5cc nitro sport) though you do have to buy several batteries to run for any length of time

that said, i enjoy them both. my advice, if you go nitro keep you electric. that way if you only have a little time to play, use the electric.
also, if you rusty is older, upgrade to an xl5 and a 15t motor(costs about $50)
Old 11-03-2007, 01:28 PM

I prefer electric. I have both I have a brushless rusty a brushless revo and a nitro revo. The nitro is a pain and hardly get driven, and I dont run the nitro at all in the winter just becuase it is so figedy to the temperature. Getting a brushless kit and good batteries will make your electric just that much more fun. Just stay away for really high k/v motors
Old 11-03-2007, 01:39 PM

I run both Electric and Nitro and like both equally. There is a lot more to learn with the Nitros and much more time spent wrenching on them. Personally I find a lot of people are just lazy and won't spend the time to learn or just flat out don't care. I deal with it all the time while working at the hobby shop. There is defiantly a commitment needed with nitro so make sure your willing to learn and have the time I would go for it.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:05 PM

ORIGINAL: dirt101

I prefer electric. I have both I have a brushless rusty a brushless revo and a nitro revo. The nitro is a pain and hardly get driven, and I dont run the nitro at all in the winter just becuase it is so figedy to the temperature. Getting a brushless kit and good batteries will make your electric just that much more fun. Just stay away for really high k/v motors
if you are runing the traxxas engine, then tuning is a pain, it depends, I have driven both nitro and electric, for starters I settled on a mini electric as I didn't know how much time I wold have to drive... as it turns out, I love electric, the only thing I regret is the fact that electric batteries die... so for starters, upgrade your rusty to like a VXL system, that should get it goin fast, if that is cool with you stick with electric, if you say, yeah it goes fast but battery time is a joke, then go nitro, just remember, nitro is more work
Old 11-03-2007, 03:37 PM

well I have been running nitro for 5 years and I just got started into electrics by finding a great deal on a used RTR for me to learn electrics. In less than a month, I am gathering more and more info about electrics from here thanks to those that get involved with my questions. Now my RTR is brushless and I am loving electrics more and more but I will never give up my nitros.

Nitro has its ups and downs. Tuning is always an issue. There is more maintenance involved. But once you get them running right, it's always a blast to see the power of the engines and hear the sound of that exhaust running.

Now that I have an brushless electric, I wouldn't give it up either. It's got it's benefits as to those who have said, get good batteries and just go. Plus in my neighborhood, people hate the sound of my nitros ripping up and down my street when I testing them out and tuning them. With the electrics, no worries about the noise they make cause there really isn't any.

Nitro is great but it can get way more expensive than electric. $20+ for a gallon of nitro depending on percentage and brand. Then you have to have good glow plugs and know how to tune. The rest is basic car maintenance.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:42 PM

It all depends on what you like, most brushless cars I've seen out run nitro vechicles at my track.
Most magazines say "ONCE YOU GO BRUSHLESS, YOU WONT GO BACK TO NITRO."
Ive had a nitro car before, but traded it off....so it's not really my thing...
The engine has to be tuned just right or the damn thing wont idle at all.[&:]
I like watching other people drive their's when I turn marshal, but I just dont want to own one.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: nitrojunky3

How long have you been driving? Like I tell everyone else, nitro is alot of work. Breaking in, tuning, and more. However it is alot of fun. It takes lots of patients, knowledge, and time. But you can't avoid it if you don't try. I can give some suggestions if you are interested. One last thing I woul ddo is keep your electric as a backup. When nitro is down its always good to have a backup.

hey ya that is very true
my first truck was a rusty electric
and i like nitro so much i got a xtm x cellerator when i turned 11
and then i started to hate nitro because of all the mateniecne and i was
that knowledgable of nitros so for now im stickin 2 elecs
until i know enuf

i would go electric all the way
1. faster with brushless and lipo
2. not as much matenence
3. plug and go
4. neighbors wont get mad @ u
Old 11-03-2007, 06:15 PM

yeah with brushless and lipos you can blow any nitro out of the park.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:14 PM

people get addited to the fumes and the noise......but if u live in a close like me, ur neighbours will start getting very annoyed at the noise and livid with the smell!
i would say stick with electric.....just get a decent brushless system and lipo and ull have decent runtimes and lots of speed..
oh yeah...cleaning up after a nitro run isnt fun. the gunk gets everywhere.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:29 PM

Thanks for the reponse guys!!! I guess I would be stickin to Electric only for now. Maybe go brushless when I am prepared to spend more money on it I will probably just get a team orion motor on it 15T or something and drive it around for now. Already upgraded to bearings and road rage II tires.

Yesterday my rusty broke its front castor block and camber link (Some kid in my neiborhood kept pleading me to let him try out the rustler, I hesitantly agreed to it and he straightaway bashed it at an angle into the sidewalk!!!! He said sorry and ran off [] and I got stuck with a broken car and a weekend to fix, rather than drive it) Upgrading the castor block and camber link with RPM parts... Is this a good choice??
Old 11-03-2007, 08:57 PM

I would have to say that the electrics I build 90% of the time goto nitro guys that want higher performance and speed while being easier to work with. I have certain cars I build that I wont sell to someone that I dont consider an expert driver. There is a great amount of danger with an 1/8 scale car that will go faster than 100 mph not to mention skill required to drive it well. Someone could get seriously hurt.

So I have to say that with the advent of brushless and lithium batteries electric is not for beginners any more let alone the faint of heart.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:07 PM

ORIGINAL: RURC

I would have to say that the electrics I build 90% of the time goto nitro guys that want higher performance and speed while being easier to work with. I have certain cars I build that I wont sell to someone that I dont consider an expert driver. There is a great amount of danger with an 1/8 scale car that will go faster than 100 mph not to mention skill required to drive it well. Someone could get seriously hurt.

So I have to say that with the advent of brushless and lithium batteries electric is not for beginners any more let alone the faint of heart.
I agree.. I repented letting him control the same... he was too weavy for a driver Though I am still wondering when can I consider myself a skill2 from skill 1??? What would be a good indicstor??
Old 11-03-2007, 09:08 PM

I had that happen with my boat. I told him 6 times to take it slow. What does he do when he gets it?, guns it right into the side of a pool. It was a modded turbo vee boat I was testing too. Ya when that happens now I tell them that they are not toys and they cant handle them. They usually give me a dirty look and walk away, but its better than being left with a broken truck.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:13 PM

I forgot what post was about thinking about all the times someone borrowed my boat or truck and broke it. I own both nitro and electric. Unless you get a nitro engine that easy to tune you will just hate it. I had a Cen Mt2 with the .18 that I just loved. 45mph, started on the first pull every time. After every 2 or 3 runs though something usually gives and you end up having to fix it. Had a couple nitros that were impossible to tune and just never ran right and it made for really frustrating weekends. One reason I dont like nitro is cause no matter how much you tune the engine they are always spitting nitro out of the exhaust. The street in front of my house was turning into an oil slick. Messy cleanup also.
Ever since lipo and brushless came out my nitro stuff has taken a back seat. I get bored at speeds less than 40mph and even 30mph just doesnt do it for me anymore. Speed is adicting and brushless is what go me back into the sport.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:14 PM

ORIGINAL: hemiblas

I had that happen with my boat. I told him 6 times to take it slow. What does he do when he gets it?, guns it right into the side of a pool. It was a modded turbo vee boat I was testing too. Ya when that happens now I tell them that they are not toys and they cant handle them. They usually give me a dirty look and walk away, but its better than being left with a broken truck.
Exactly... Its hard to make them understand that its not the toy car they drive in their livingrooms and that they need to be careful with these things.

Though I don't like to be rude with them (And I learnt a bad lesson!!) I guess I would have to be more assertive regarding there rookie status
Old 11-03-2007, 09:17 PM

Can someone suggest a pinion/spur gear ratio for a high speed rusty??
Old 11-03-2007, 10:32 PM

ORIGINAL: nitinmehra20

That will depend entirely on the motor and the tires/wheels size you're running. If you're running with truck sized tires, then let us know what motor you want to use.

But in any case, the general rule of thumb for a starting point for gearing a Rustler is to use a pinion with 2 teeth less than the number of turns on the motor (for 540 sized standard motors) ASSUMING you're using at least a stock spur or bigger (84-90 t spur) AND truck size wheels (like the stock ones).

So e.g. you gear a 15 turn motor with a 13 tooth pinion and 84 tooth spur. If the motor is running too hot after a couple of minutes, reduce the pinion teeth size by 1 or 2. If the motor is still only warm (<120-130'F) go up a tooth or 2 on the pinion.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:38 PM

ORIGINAL: nitinmehra20

try here, it is a tutorial video http://www.traxxas.com/ftp/rustler_m...gearing_01.htm
Old 11-03-2007, 11:41 PM

I am having a real problem with this...
I have always had electric cars and have always dreamed of getting a nitro.

Recently I was over at a friends house and found out he had a tmaxx and we were both much into the hobby.
Well, of course one thing let to another and before I knew it, i was driving his truck arround.
I fell in love with nitro, he has a 2.5 maxx, and it's 5 years old.

Starts easy with the ezstart and runs like a champ. I love the noise and the smell, also, the fuel it and go attatude it has.
I love my electrics, but as I got to thinking, even if I upgraded my xl-5 pede to vxl I still wouldn't be happy with it unless I went lipo.
Lipo would never work because I have a low buget.

I have really been thinking about going to nitro. His car runs great for being the age it is. He also was very young when he bought it and im sure did not do the break in or anything propperly.

This is the electric fourm tho so it's usually going to side with the fourm you're in.. Just my thoughts, now I have a lot to learn about nitro, but I have the time, and want to learn.

My neibors will probbibly not like it but I will and thats all I care about.
Keep in mind that I don't own one, I have only seen one run and ran it. I have also cleaned it, sprayed engine cleaner in it and all the other maintnence needed, it seems like nothing too hard.

-Always Dreamin
[&:]
Old 11-04-2007, 07:43 AM

ORIGINAL: Always Dreamin

Starts easy with the ezstart and runs like a champ. I love the noise and the smell, also, the fuel it and go attatude it has.
I love my electrics, but as I got to thinking, even if I upgraded my xl-5 pede to vxl I still wouldn't be happy with it unless I went lipo.
Lipo would never work because I have a low buget.
You should really start doing your math on what it take to run nitro. I have been doing this for over 25 years and I know the costs. In the long run the lipo and brushless will be cheaper. When you start buying $25 a gallon fuel for a weekend in a short time you have passed a lipo batery. The brushless motor will last a lot longer than a nitro motor. All the time spent tuning and and cleaning up the mess on the car gets old fast. This is time you can spend really driving your electric.

ORIGINAL: Always Dreamin...

My neibors will probbibly not like it but I will and thats all I care about.
Keep in mind that I don't own one, I have only seen one run and ran it. I have also cleaned it, sprayed engine cleaner in it and all the other maintnence needed, it seems like nothing too hard.

-Always Dreamin
Also it is attitudes like this that cause trouble in neighborhoods for RCer's. It is too bad that you dont care enough about your neighbors to see that the noise may be causing problems for them. The noise routinely wakes babes and is in a general bothersome tone range. Not to mention that someone may just like some quiet time. Your attitude is why so many communities are closing the doors on nitro cars. This is happening in California and several other states. There are many tracks that have gotten injunctions on them so they cant run nitro after 7 pm because of the noise they produce. Some have even had to stop nitro all together because of it. You should grow up and realize that you are not the only person that has to listen to the sound of the engine. Sit back an think of the things that they do that bothers your family and realize that if we were concerned a little more as to how we are perceived by our neighbors there would be more neighborness in our lives.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:26 AM

For every 10 min of drive time on my nitro I spend 1 hour fixing them. when something does break its usually not very easy to figure out and I have to look at the exploded views. Then I have to research where to buy the parts if my LHS doesnt carry them. Most of the items that wear out or break usually deal with the engine, gears, clutches etc and dont really deal with the truck. The engines need to be taken apart and cleaned/rebuilt after so many runs.

That being said, I think the electric market needs to catch up to nitro. Most of the Nicer 4wd trucks are all nitro. Except for the emaxx coming out in Dec. there really arent any elec 4wd trucks that can handle brushless power effectively. I converted my cen mt2 to electric and its a blast to drive. I now have reverse and an L size brushless motor with good braking. I also coverted my tower terror to electric the benefits are incredible. No messy cleanup, my neighbors like me, I have way more torque, if the radio cuts out it stops not barrells full speed into a wall. They just dont make those types of trucks in electric and only a few custom manufactures make them which makes them really expensive.
Traxxas is the only manufacture to step up to the plate and provide some brushless vehicles and I think the reason they did it is because they have a solid tranny and very durable trucks. Now we need all the manufactures to do the same thing. Now I want to see trucks with the L and XL motors and heck many even the 4-5hp 45 size kb motors. Until this happens I will have to keep converting.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:50 PM

I've seen a Losi 1/8 Buggy in a magazine with a brushless before, looked pretty cool.
Id love to have a Kyosho STR MP777 with a brushless in it, but I dunno if Fine Design RC is gonna make one or not.[:-]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.