Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Water Proofing

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 08:06 PM
Straick7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Proofing

This has probably been asked several times before, but here it goes again. What would the best way to waterproof, or at least water resist, a receiver used for bashing. I did the ESC by coating the board with hotglue(figured the use it in TV and computers, so an esc would be ok) and it has worked extremely well. Problem is that I can't do that to my receiver and still maintain ease of use/maintenance of the car. I am only asking this because when I was running it through some sand, I hit a puddle and the car went nuts. It works fine now, but I want to prevent it from happening again. I dont routinely hit water with the car, but I do occasionally(read it as almost every time I run) find a puddle that I didn't even know was there when I started running the car. I waterproofed the servo with 2 O-rings put on the output shaft, and some silicone sealant around the seams of the case(tested on a cheap servo, and it worked fully submerged, even if submerged overnight). I only want to do this so that I can run all afternoon without any issues, even after finding that hidden puddle. I also am finishing up my E-Revo conversion and it is going to be used as a rock crawler that will be hitting water. Thanks for any help that you all can give me.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:12 PM
The Hedgehog

Default RE: Water Proofing

Usually for recievers you put them in a rubber balloon then seal it by your method of choice.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:21 PM
snu_d

how about a small tupperware box with a lid? i came across one of my girlfriends old makeup container thingys....its a snug fit for the reciever, lightweight and has a waterproof lid..
drill out a small hole for the antenae wire and seal it with a dab of silicone when u run ur wire through it..
Old 11-03-2007, 08:23 PM
DaveG55

Take the rx apart and coat the circuit board and all connections with nonconducting dielectric grease.
Works for servos too
I'd keep an eye on that esc for overheating issues.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:35 PM
Straick7

I already thought of overheating of the ESC(actually though of it when I coated the board). The board is coated, but the heatsink area of the FETs is left clear so that they can stay cool. Thanks for that headsup though. I think that the ballon will work nicely, and it'll be easy to get access to. The grease idea sounds good, but it would attract dust and dirt to it, and that is part of what I want to prevent.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:45 PM
snowboarderGUY

im a total newb to water proofing, so what do you have to waterproof? battery, esc, receiver, battery connectors, motor????? i have no idea what to do. Can you use balloons for esc and reciever?

thanks soooo much.

xl-5 rusty SOON!
Old 11-03-2007, 09:09 PM
PedeBeater

It is a bad idea to use balloons on esc's, it will greatly raise the chances of overheating. Since a receiver doesn't creat much heat, a balloon works perfect.

Anything electric should be waterproofed. esc, receiver, servo, batteries (shrink wrap), connectors (maybe).
Old 11-03-2007, 09:15 PM
dirt101

I cant figure out how to make the esc waterproof
Old 11-03-2007, 09:21 PM
PedeBeater

It has already been answered. Many ways to do it. Silicone works well, just seal all of the openings in the esc case. You could cover the circuit board in non-conductive grease. And the easiest but most dangerous way is to put it in a balloon. Not suggested!
Old 11-03-2007, 09:37 PM
DaveG55

Dielectric grease is the best way to waterproof the RX. It does not attract dust and dirt into the RX case. I've used just about every method mentioned in this thread (and some that have not) and the grease works the best. A balloon is ok for an ocasional light splash but much more than that and there will be water trapped in the balloon and the RX. Not only that but it takes very little wear to get holes in the balloon. Also, once you grease the CB you're done, you'll be changing that balloon often and getting it in and out of that little hole is a PITA.
But try the balloons if you want, you'll soon see what I mean.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:44 PM
Straick7

Thanks for the replies. I guess that I am going to be getting some dielectric grease tomorrow after a job interview. At least the ESC is set. And for carrots question about waterproofing, the motors don't seem(not an expert here so this is based on observation) to be affected by water getting in them, as long as it isn't salt water. Just be sure to clean them out after running if they get soaked with muddy water. Easiest way I know to do this is to take the motor apart and clean all the parts individually. If this is wrong, please correct me here.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:00 PM
PedeBeater

You could also buy a big can of electric motor cleaner. Gets motors spotless! Suggested to use regularly.