Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Trying to find a cheaper way...

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 10:20 PM
Takedown
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to find a cheaper way...

Im trying to find a cheaper way to convert my Warhead to brushless but the MMM even though it is very cheap for what you get is a little to much for me to spend. Im looking at the Great Planes Ammo 36-88 motor and the Mamba Max ESC. It comes to a total of $240. Thats saves me $60. What do you guys think?
Old 11-22-2007, 10:45 PM
dirt101

Default RE: Trying to find a cheaper way...

people say the MM is fine but I tried it out today and I dont really think it can handle the heavier trucks.

probably just works good on buggies and light MTs
Old 11-22-2007, 11:03 PM
Takedown

ORIGINAL: dirt101

people say the MM is fine but I tried it out today and I dont really think it can handle the heavier trucks.

I asked Happywing about it and he runs his MM on 5s with a fan in a 10lb truggy and he says that its the best you can buy because its just as good as quark/MGM and its very versitile. The Ammo 36-88 only pulls 80a max so its super efficient and the Mamba should handle it pretty well. I also plan to run it on 5s. I also looked at the BK 9920 but people have said that it doesnt do well on anything over a 4s burt its meant to run on 6s. I hope the mamba does me well. The first thing I might do is unsolder them small 13ga wires and put some Deans 12ga wet noodle wire on it for less resistance.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:54 PM
Takedown

Plus my brother runs the MM in his E-maxx and it weighs around 12lbs. It has a novak 30mm clear fan on it and it runs ice cold on 12 cells with the feigao 8xl.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:31 PM
Takedown

Nobody?
Old 11-23-2007, 02:43 PM
PedeBeater

What happened?! You were so excited to get your mmm? I think it is a great idea though. Those ammo motors you are looking at are beasts! I believe the mm will hold up just fine.

Good luck
Old 11-23-2007, 02:46 PM
brushlessboy16

get a a normal mamba and mod it.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:14 PM
Takedown

Im really nervous about getting the MM though because I've never really felt confortable with it. I do like the adjustability though.[8D]For sure that if I get the MM I will be soldering on Deans Wet Noodle 12awg wire or Deans Ultra 12awg wire onto the curcuit board. I dont like the stock skinny 13awg wire at all.[:'(] I will most definetaly be using dual fans. Possibly run a fan through the MM by drilling holes.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:21 PM
ASYSTEMERROR

5s is insane and you would need a deadbeat motor two suckup all that voltage, i think if you ran 5s on a warhead with a 9xl the drivetrain would need work. some setups you can run 5/6s packs but without a solid mount and some upgrades that setup will run threw you truck like milk and cookie's. your truck would be great on 3/4s with the right motor even faster than 5/6s it just takes some screwin around to get it right .
Old 11-23-2007, 10:28 PM
Takedown

I ran my Warhead on 14.4v (2x IB4200 6-cell packs)(MM ESC and a Feigao 8xl) already an it really wasnt anything special. It didnt pop wheelie's and it went maybe 30mph. Many people have reccomended that I run 6s but I dont want to spend that much on just a battery. The Ammo 36-88 motor is made to run on 5s-6s for best efficiency. Im pretty sure that a 5s, a MM ESC and the Ammo 36-88 will be the perfect combo for what Im willing to spend. I will end up getting the MMM ESC when it comes out in Feb.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:01 AM
dirt101

well I wouldnt risk it for $60 more you basically get a neu(I know they arent the same but they are close enough) and DOUBLE THE amp handling. I have my MM all figured out now and its going to have to last me until the MMM comes out. All I did was remove the bec wire and the temperature dropped to 45 so now it runs about 145 on dirt, and get this 175 in the grass. you can definatly tell when that motor want lots of amps by watching the MM temp. ran it on the road for speed runs(I have to roll on to prevent wheelies) and the temp dropped down to 125. all of that was on a 10lb revo(no batts) on 4s lipo. (no fan, yet atleast) and an 8xl

Oh and they are right the MM is equal to the bk 9920 heatwise on 4s and I wouldnt run either of them on 5 or 6s( I cant exactly run the bk becuase it smoked)

If I were you I would see if I could save an extra $60, becasue I'm just using my rustys MM to hold me over until MMM time, and I wouldnt even be running my MM if it wasnt below 60 degrees.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:02 PM
Takedown

well I wouldnt risk it for $60 more you basically get a neu(I know they arent the same but they are close enough) and DOUBLE THE amp handling. I have my MM all figured out now and its going to have to last me until the MMM comes out. All I did was remove the bec wire and the temperature dropped to 45 so now it runs about 145 on dirt, and get this 175 in the grass. you can definatly tell when that motor want lots of amps by watching the MM temp. ran it on the road for speed runs(I have to roll on to prevent wheelies) and the temp dropped down to 125. all of that was on a 10lb revo(no batts) on 4s lipo. (no fan, yet atleast) and an 8xl

Oh and they are right the MM is equal to the bk 9920 heatwise on 4s and I wouldnt run either of them on 5 or 6s( I cant exactly run the bk becuase it smoked)

If I were you I would see if I could save an extra $60, becasue I'm just using my rustys MM to hold me over until MMM time, and I wouldnt even be running my MM if it wasnt below 60 degrees.
The Ammo 36-88 motor doesnt pull anywhere near the amount of amps that the 8xl does. The 8xl pulls 80a continous and 120a bursts im pretty sure... The 36-88 pulls 50a continous and 80a bursts. I think it'll be fine.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:12 PM
brushlessboy16

but that means less power.....

get on AIM
Old 11-24-2007, 09:15 PM
j.m.

I thought you had a VXL and a feigao motor for your warhead already?

What happened to those?
Old 11-25-2007, 12:15 AM
Nerf
My Feedback: (1)

(Qoute from Takedown himself)The vxl is getting sent in for warranty purposes and the 8xl gets very hot when running in the warhead.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:48 AM
dirt101

yeah I also have an 8xl and it get very hot in my revo. I ordered a 10xl to help conserve my MM.

yeah bud more amps=more power. you either need more amps or you need more votage and considering 6s lipo cost a minumum of $230(I got quoted $230 for true rc to build me 2 3s 6400mah packs to go along with my 2s 6400s I already have) I think your going to go for the amps.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:55 PM
Takedown

OK new plan. My parents still dont want to spend $240 on just r/c stuff so I devised an even better plan. Ill just get the Fine Design R/C Nemesis XLT-1 motor for $110 and a bunch of other small stuff such as a balancer and what not... I plan to now run 4s with a VXL ESC. Sounds dangerous but it'll do until I save for the MMM ESC.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:33 PM
PedeBeater

These are all good idea's. But, make up your mind!
Old 11-26-2007, 04:52 PM
Takedown

ORIGINAL: PedeBeater

These are all good idea's. But, make up your mind!
Im set on this idea for sure. I cant wait until the MMM comes out so I can buy that ESC later on. It will be a perfect combo with the XLT-1. The VXL is getting sent out sometime this week hopefully and will be back around early-mid december.[8D]
Old 11-26-2007, 04:54 PM
j.m.

maybe switch back to regular mt sized tires. Those heavy 40 series are making that motor work.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:39 PM
knutklo

Have you looked at Fine Design's Combo's?
[link=http://finedesignrc.com/motorsnemesisblueesccombos.asp]Nemesis Blue Motor - BK 9920 ESC[/link]

Or [link=http://home.comcast.net/~milemarkers/Motors-ESCs-Brushless.htm]Kershaw Designs Feigao?[/link]

NB. remember it is 5mm shafts so you must buy mod1 pinions if you have a E-Savage/E-Zilla
The difference on these motors are only that the Feigao has a notch for the pinion screw and Nemesis has not.

Br,
Knut Klo
Norway
Old 11-26-2007, 05:48 PM
dirt101

I had bad luck with my bk9920 and I wouldnt really recomend it becuase bk is stationed in europe so there is nothing I can do. Im stuck with a broken esc.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:53 PM
knutklo

That was sad to hear... [&o]
I live in Norway that is in Europe, so I am very happy with it...
My next project is to waterproof the BK9920 ESC with Plastidip spray and plastic padding for winter driving.
Today I gues I am lucky cause I drive in the winter here in Norway and the ESC still works for me.
I will post movies and pictures of my car as soon as I get my new camera inhouse ;-)

Br,
Knut Klo
Norway
Old 11-26-2007, 06:13 PM
dirt101

really its didnt fully burn up just the receiver wires on it. but I have no Idea what im doing. I sold it to a guy for $10 and he said he would give me another $20 if he can get it working. I dont really care becasue there was nothing I could do with it.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:44 PM
Takedown

ORIGINAL: knutklo

That was sad to hear... [&o]
I live in Norway that is in Europe, so I am very happy with it...
My next project is to waterproof the BK9920 ESC with Plastidip spray and plastic padding for winter driving.
Today I gues I am lucky cause I drive in the winter here in Norway and the ESC still works for me.
I will post movies and pictures of my car as soon as I get my new camera inhouse ;-)

Br,
Knut Klo
Norway
Good luck keeping it cool.