Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Brushless motor system for a 1/10 scale stadium truck

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 12:46 PM
speed racer 12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushless motor system for a 1/10 scale stadium truck

OK, here is the thing, i currently have an Orion Revolution V2 Ryan C. edition (13x1), which is a great motor, i was using it with a 19 tooth pinion. anyway, it was a very fast motor, but it got very hot, so hot in fact that the rubber sleeves around the female bullet connectors i had on my speed control melted! And the motor was quite hard to work on, I also began to get annoyed at all the dirt that clogged the motor and made the brushes get stuck very often.

So, i was thinking about getting a brushless motor to my T4. I have no prior knowledge about brushless motors except that they are expensive. I do hope to save up one day ind buy a brushless system. My question is, what motor is the right selection for a stadium truck, you know, how many turns do i get, what size pinion do i use, can they work with a standard six cell NiMh battery pack?
Old 11-25-2007, 02:01 PM
Always Dreamin

Default RE: Brushless motor system for a 1/10 scale stadium truck

ORIGINAL: speed racer 12

OK, here is the thing, i currently have an Orion Revolution V2 Ryan C. edition (13x1), which is a great motor, i was using it with a 19 tooth pinion. anyway, it was a very fast motor, but it got very hot, so hot in fact that the rubber sleeves around the female bullet connectors i had on my speed control melted! And the motor was quite hard to work on, I also began to get annoyed at all the dirt that clogged the motor and made the brushes get stuck very often.

So, i was thinking about getting a brushless motor to my T4. I have no prior knowledge about brushless motors except that they are expensive. I do hope to save up one day ind buy a brushless system. My question is, what motor is the right selection for a stadium truck, you know, how many turns do i get, what size pinion do i use, can they work with a standard six cell NiMh battery pack?
They will all run 6 cell packs. If your going to stick with 6 cell packs and have a good buget, novak is your best bet. I put a VXL in my t4 and it ran great, but it doesn't fit directly. The mambas might work but I heard they arn't the best quality motor. If you have the money, novak all the way!
Old 11-25-2007, 02:02 PM
pede_187

Novak for 6 cells.

I'm planning to get the mamba. I hope it's not low quality.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:05 PM
For_The_Win

go with the mamba or the Team AE LPR i think it is.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:16 PM
Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: pede_kid

Novak for 6 cells.

I'm planning to get the mamba. I hope it's not low quality.
Might want to look into the mamba. I have heard they don't do well in pedes.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:19 PM
speed racer 12

OK, a lot of you are saying mamba, ill look into that, i was also looking at the LRP sphere competition motor and ESC set, they go around $260 on www.towerhobbies.com, so far I have had a good experience with associated and LRP, there stuff may cost a bit extra than some other people, but I find that they are well made.

Well, ill go look up that mamba now...
Old 11-25-2007, 02:22 PM
Always Dreamin

OK, a lot of you are saying mamba, ill look into that, i was also looking at the LRP sphere competition motor and ESC set, they go around $260 on www.towerhobbies.com, so far I have had a good experience with associated and LRP, there stuff may cost a bit extra than some other people, but I find that they are well made.

Well, ill go look up that mamba now...
If you're looking to spend $260 your set. That is arround what a novak is, they are sensored, fast, and perfect for what you want.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:24 PM
speed racer 12

OK, I just looked at the Mamba, and they are cheaper than the LRP, about $212. but they have several models with different kV ratings, and i did not see anything about how many turns they each had, what does the different kV ratings effect exactly?
Old 11-25-2007, 02:29 PM
pede_187

Kv means RPM per Volt. The more Kv the motor has the faster it will spin the shaft. However this also means it will heat up faster making you give it lower gearing. I am planning to probably get the Mamba 4600 because it will have more torque and better temps, so I will be able to gear it higher.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:30 PM
speed racer 12

I also checked out Novak, they sound like they might be higher quality, i still have a few more questions, what do sensored motors do differently, and how do they effect performance, and how many turns is appropriate for a stadium truck?
Old 11-25-2007, 02:34 PM
pede_187

It's not really turns. BL is rated in turns. It's rated in Kv. Different motors serve different purposes. You want a motor with medium torque, speed, temps. 540 size.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:35 PM
speed racer 12

OK, so what you are saying is that i should get a lower kV motor, about 4600, so what size pinion gear should i use with that, if I am using the stock 38 tooth spur gear for the T4?
Old 11-25-2007, 02:38 PM
pede_187

Low Kv would be better. The Traxxas VXL is 3500Kv.

The Kv really depends on what yoiur doing. Are you looking for more speed or torque?
Old 11-25-2007, 02:39 PM
Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: pede_kid

Kv means RPM per Volt. The more Kv the motor has the faster it will spin the shaft. However this also means it will heat up faster making you give it lower gearing. I am planning to probably get the Mamba 4600 because it will have more torque and better temps, so I will be able to gear it higher.
The VXL will be just as fast as the 4600 with smoother acceloration..
Old 11-25-2007, 02:46 PM
speed racer 12

Well, if more torque allows the vehicle to get moving with less stress on the motor and batteries, then I guess i should make sure to get a fair amount of it, but I don't want to sacrifice too much speed for torque, so I guess im looking for something relatively in the middle, but with a pinch more torque, although i can just change the pinion if i feel like i need more torque or more speed, cant I?
Old 11-25-2007, 02:51 PM
pede_187

Honestly, I think the novak is still your best bet. There aren't many BL system's that are going to give you that much speed on 6 cells.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:54 PM
Always Dreamin

Well, if more torque allows the vehicle to get moving with less stress on the motor and batteries, then I guess i should make sure to get a fair amount of it, but I don't want to sacrifice too much speed for torque, so I guess im looking for something relatively in the middle, but with a pinch more torque, although i can just change the pinion if i feel like i need more torque or more speed, cant I?
If your running 6 cell only, and you have a few buck to spend, the choise is obvious novak. if your looking for a good strong motor for a decent price, vxl all the way. the vxl can be geared for torque, or very high for high end. i don't think anyone ever gets bored of a 65mph pede on 3s lipo. that and tons of torque.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:54 PM
speed racer 12

Well, I looked around, and I think I like the Mamba 4600kV model, its more affordable, and I'm not going to do anything too serious, so I think it fits my needs pretty well, also, I was reading, and I heard about how you can hook the speed control to your computer and adjust a lot of stuff, and thats really cool.

So what size pinion should I use with it, maybe an 18 or a 19? or is that up to me?
Old 11-25-2007, 02:58 PM
pede_187

Lower the pinion maybe 2 teeth and see how the temps are.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:58 PM
speed racer 12

Well, I looked around, and I think I like the Mamba 4600kV model, its more affordable, and I'm not going to do anything too serious, so I think it fits my needs pretty well, also, I was reading, and I heard about how you can hook the speed control to your computer and adjust a lot of stuff, and thats really cool.

So what size pinion should I use with it, maybe an 18 or a 19? or is that up to me?
Old 11-25-2007, 02:59 PM
speed racer 12

OK, lower it 2 teeth, ill try that.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:26 PM
Always Dreamin

it's pretty much what works for where you drive. i use 23t in mine on street and 19 on the track.. it's all what you want. the programability is pretty nice on the mamba. it's not really more affordable tho.. on tower the vxl is $170, the mamba is $210
Old 11-25-2007, 03:52 PM
speed racer 12

WOW, 170? well can you tell me how it compares to that mamba in performance, or can u not say?
Old 11-25-2007, 04:22 PM
j.m.

the vxl will be alot slower than what you are running now. The LRP has the best quality and performance. (which you will NEED for racing) Even though is costs more, it is definitely worth it.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:36 PM
pede_187

The VXL on 6 cells got the Stampede VXL to 30MPH and geared with a 25T pinion instead of a 19t, it got 38MPH.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.