Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

E-Savage Simple Brushless System By KLO

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 09:49 PM
knutklo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-Savage Simple Brushless System By KLO

Hello there
This is my simple but maybe expensive solution to make your E-Savage GREAT!!!

This is my trucks config and where I bought the parts:

Nemesis Blue 10L Brushless Motor (2458 rpm/v)
BK 9920 Marine ESC 100Amp
18 tooth pinion gear (mod1)
Total cost $249.95 + pinion gear(s)
[link=http://finedesignrc.com/motorsnemesisblueesccombos.asp]Fine Design[/link]

2 x GRP Tracktor Monster Tires (these are the best tires EVER for this truck in the snow)
Total cost $35.99 x 2 = about $70 for 4 tires
[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMXW7&P=ML]TowerHobbies[/link]

Bigger and Better SHOCKS (you may replace the screws with someone that is 3-4mm longer)
Total Cost $29.99 x 2 sets = about $60
[link=http://home.comcast.net/~milemarkers/E-SavageCENShocks.htm]KERSHAW DESIGNS[/link]

2 x 2S2P 8000mah 7.4v LIPO batteries from MaxAmps
Total cost $154.99 x 2 packs = about $310
[link=http://www.maxamps.com/Lipo-8000-74-Pack.htm]MaxAmps[/link]

Baja Bodies, Clear, Not painted
Total $16.80
[link=http://gohobbies.com/itemHBS-70456.html]GoHobbies[/link]

I have replced the Tamiya plugs with DEANS cause they melted after hard mud driving!

TIP: When you go brushless you must tighten the spurgear(clutch) all the way or else it will melt.

You can find some older movies from this summer of my car (without LIPO's) here:
[link=http://youtube.com/knutklo]YouTube[/link]

I will upload new winter movies late desember!!!
Old 11-26-2007, 04:28 PM
PedeBeater

Default RE: E-Savage Simple Brushless System By KLO

You forgot one thing. Drivehsafts! What did you do to make the drivetraine handle all of that power? I will be getting a ammo 2600 mamba max esc combo, and I am very worried about the drivetrain. (gears, shafts)
Old 11-26-2007, 04:45 PM
knutklo

I did NOT forget anything cause this is my config today and ALL the other parts are original.
Yes I have broken some parts within the TWO years I have had this car.
2 C-hub and this happend when I crashed in a tree and a wall
7 drive shafts and they may break in jumps and crashes not cause of the power of the motor
5 spurgears before I tighten them all tha way. the spurgear I have now have lasted for about 6 month
6 or 7 diff bevel gears and this was before I bought the new bevel gears that are stronger but still original from HPI and to E-svage.
You can also see how I am driving at my YouTube page and as you see I am driving pritty hard at times and the longest junp I have made are 12 meters in the gravel pit and that day I broke a drive shaft ;-)
I must say that I am very NEW to LIPO and have only driven them in the snow so I don't know what will happen next summer but that is a looooong time... here in Norway we have about 7-8 moth of winter, summer comes some time in may ;-)

Br,
Knut Klo
Norway
Old 11-26-2007, 04:52 PM
knutklo

I must say I have a Mamba Max 5700 combo kit ant the motor si way to weak to handle the E-Savage. It works for 2-3 minutes and the it will jitter the **** of the truck cause the motor goes to hot.
Castle Creation told me that it was something wrong at first with the motor and sendt me a new one but the same thing happend.
The Mamba Max ESC is good and handles well but the motor is way to weak, just so you know the 5700 is NOT a good idea!
The funniest thing was that Castle Creation did NOT give me the money back cause I bougth it on TowerHobbies, but they sendt me a third one with the message that if I used it on the E-Savage I did NOT get a new one.

So if you have a 1/12 scale monster truck og a 1-10 scale car og buggy, then I have a Mamaba Max 5700 Combo kit for sale ;-)

Br,
Knut Klo
Norway
Old 11-26-2007, 07:15 PM
TheEmaxxKid

Do you know how the Kershaw shocks are different from normal Nemesis shocks? I run 4 normal Nemesis shocks and they mount up just fine on my E-Savage. I think Kershaw is screwing people.

That sounds like a fun setup. I'm running Bowties, 6000mah lipos, and a Feigao 7l with the Nemesis shocks and it runs great. How do you like that 10l compared to stock?
Old 11-26-2007, 07:28 PM
knutklo

No I cannot compare Nemesis Shocks and Kershaw cause I only have bought shocks from Kershaw.
How do you make a 7L run cool when I had to go up to 10L to make it run cool in the gravel pit!
Cannot compare the stock to the brushless 10L it is extreemly fast and I had to use a 18 tooth pinion to manage the car cause the original tires got "thin" when speeding and then I lost the steering. Now it runs cool no matter what I do and No matter how hard i run it.
I must say that I do NOT use FAN cooling cause they cannot work in mud/water and snow...

You say Kershaw is screwing people... why do you say that? I have no bad things to say about either of the (Fine Design or Kershaw) but it seems like Fine Design has more professional people answering mail and phone... chris I think his name was...
Old 11-26-2007, 08:01 PM
TheEmaxxKid

I use lowest motor timing (Mamba Max) and a 17t pinion. The motor is about 160F after a hard run. Climbing gravel hills is much harder on the motor than the jumping and mild hill climbing I do on dirt.

I'm suspicious about the "three ways" they modified the shocks to make them fit the E-Savage since the stock ones seem to work fine. Sounds like false advertising to me.

I still can't believe how E-Savages hold up so well to brushless without modifications.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:36 PM
knutklo

The Stock E-Savage shocks broke the forst winter but that might be my fault cause I was running them in the winter on the original oil and they went stiff and broke. The new shocks must have other oil cause they do not get stiff even in -15 degrees.

I don't know why E-Savage makes it so well but it may be the weight.
Fully loaded with batteries ready to run it is: 17.6lbs or 3.8kg.
We are 7 people who has bought this car but I am the only one that has the E-Zilla version cause I bought it before Hot Bodies migrated with HPI, E-Zilla = E-Savage ony name change and part number changes ;-)

The minus with E-Savage is that it is VERY little HOP UPS to the car
The plus with the car is that it is VERY durable right out of the box, but the original motors did not stand out my mudd driving LOL ;-)
OH I forgot to tell you... I have change to DEANS cause the Tamiya plugs melted... Tamiya plugs are BAD [&o]
Old 11-26-2007, 08:49 PM
knutklo

Here you can see why I think E-Maxx is cool... You just have to love all the hop ups for this car
[link=http://www.neweramodels.com/cgi-bin/inccatalog.cgi?h=y&fitlist=0010&shortlist=1#]E-Maxx HopUps, Just Love It ;-)[/link]

But I'll be using my E-Savage as long as I do not have problems with breaking parts all the time like other people has with their NITRO cars.
LOL the Savage X and other Savage NITRO cars that are driving here sinks in the snow but Our E-Savages floats in the snow cause of the weight hehehe LOL.

If I had one wish for E-Savage it would be to have HopUps to make it look more stylish like you can with E-Maxx
Old 11-27-2007, 04:21 PM
PedeBeater

There are a lot of sylish aluminum parts made bt strc. Really cool, just not a lot of them.[]
Old 11-28-2007, 05:24 PM
mycarisaser

I have a 9l nemisis with a 120amp mgm compro esc running with a 4s hyperion 5000 battery. It runs over 50mph. I running a 22t mod1 pinion and a savage 49 tooth mod 1 spur gear. Its very fast and loves to kill drive shafts. I am looking into putting the revo drive shafts on it. I will let you all know how it goes(I am running the e-maxx ones and they are better but I want the best). I also have lst shocks on it and they are great, fast lane chassis extention, and 40 series proline multcher tires. its a beast
Old 11-28-2007, 05:25 PM
mycarisaser

ORIGINAL: PedeBeater

There are a lot of sylish aluminum parts made bt strc. Really cool, just not a lot of them.[]

What web site is it . I would love to see some of there stuff
Old 11-28-2007, 05:49 PM
PedeBeater

http://www.teamstrc.com/ebproduct.asp?catmainid=2

I will be extremely interested in using revo shafts. The main obstacle IMO will be the stube axles. There is no way to use the revo stub axles, and you can't use t-maxx ones because the joint pin size is totally different. If I found an easy way to use the revo shafts I would no question about it. BTW, I asked this so many times on the e-savage website, nobody will answer the question, that site goes so slow!
Old 11-28-2007, 10:34 PM
mycarisaser

Well I have done some searching for a 6x15x4mm bearing but I cant find someone that makes one????? So I guess I am on to try something else to make it work. [&:].
Old 11-29-2007, 12:18 AM
Slo-V Flyer

ORIGINAL: knutklo

I must say I have a Mamba Max 5700 combo kit ant the motor si way to weak to handle the E-Savage. It works for 2-3 minutes and the it will jitter the **** of the truck cause the motor goes to hot.
Castle Creation told me that it was something wrong at first with the motor and sendt me a new one but the same thing happend.
The Mamba Max ESC is good and handles well but the motor is way to weak, just so you know the 5700 is NOT a good idea!
The funniest thing was that Castle Creation did NOT give me the money back cause I bougth it on TowerHobbies, but they sendt me a third one with the message that if I used it on the E-Savage I did NOT get a new one.

So if you have a 1/12 scale monster truck og a 1-10 scale car og buggy, then I have a Mamaba Max 5700 Combo kit for sale ;-)

Br,
Knut Klo
Norway

Well, of course the 5700 motor is NOT designed to be used in 1/10 Monster trucks...I don't know where you got the idea from. I think Castle has stated it before that they do not recommend the Mamba Max motors (4600, 5700 and above) for big trucks. They lack the torque needed to move a truck along without overheating. I do not blame Castle for not giving you a replacement motor after you burned up your 5700 running it in a heavy monster truck which the motor was not designed for in the first place. The 5700 and other MM motors are made for regular 1/10th scale cars/buggies/stadium trucks and are plenty powerful for that, nothing more. You should have used the 10L with the Mamba Max ESC and you would be just fine.

I use a Mamba Max ESC and Feigao 7XL 2382 kv motor in my 8+ lbs E-Maxx and it runs just fine on 3s lipo or 12-cell Nimh.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:41 AM
knutklo

I do not agree with you there because:
I called Castle Creations for a good solution for my E-Zilla and they told me that the NEW Mamba Max Combo 5700 should work fine with my E-Zilla and that I had to buy it from a dealer like towerhobbies.
When I burned the motor and called them back they FIRST told me there must be an error with the motor so they shipped me a new one. I burned the second motor to.
Before I got the third motor I got a new mail saying that there has been an mistake cause they though that I had a miniZilla???
I have never told them on the phone or in the mail that it was a minizilla. only an E-Zilla 1/10 Scale Truck.
Some month after this happend they got the WARNING up on the website saying: "The Mamba Max Power System is NOT for use in 1/10th scale monster trucks." but the site is a little confusing cause it still says that it is for 1/10 scale trucks???

When I call a company and ask for a GOOD solution I count on getting a GOOD solution and I dod NOT get that from Castle but I got a GOOD solution from Fine Design!

Br,
Knut Klo
Norway

Old 11-29-2007, 03:00 AM
knutklo

ORIGINAL: knutklo

I do not agree with you there because:
I called Castle Creations for a good solution for my E-Zilla and they told me that the NEW Mamba Max Combo 5700 should work fine with my E-Zilla and that I had to buy it from a dealer like towerhobbies.
When I burned the motor and called them back they FIRST told me there must be an error with the motor so they shipped me a new one. I burned the second motor to.
Before I got the third motor I got a new mail saying that there has been an mistake cause they though that I had a miniZilla???
I have never told them on the phone or in the mail that it was a minizilla. only an E-Zilla 1/10 Scale Truck.
Some month after this happend they got the WARNING up on the website saying: "The Mamba Max Power System is NOT for use in 1/10th scale monster trucks." but the site is a little confusing cause it still says that it is for 1/10 scale trucks???

When I call a company and ask for a GOOD solution I count on getting a GOOD solution and I dod NOT get that from Castle but I got a GOOD solution from Fine Design!

Br,
Knut Klo
Norway

Fra: xxxxxx [mailto:[email protected]]
Til: Knut Olav Klo
Emne: RE: E-Zilla, same as E-Savage but older... converting to Brushless

Knut,

I would recommend the Mamba Max 5700 system for the E-Savage with a small pinion and large ring gear. With only one motor you will over twice the power of the stock set up.

Because we are the manufacture it is better to order from someplace else because we cannot discount. Tower Hobbies would be a good place to check on shipping charges. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNKU1&P=7

--
xxxxxx Wolfard
Product Support Supervisor
Castle Creations
235 S Kansas Ave
Olathe, KS 66061
913-390-6939 Ext 123
Old 11-29-2007, 03:05 AM
Slo-V Flyer

1/10th scale Trucks does not necessarily mean Monster Trucks... 1/10th Trucks means Stadium trucks or similar vehicles of weight and dimension.... I guess there was a problem with communication on both you and Castle's part.

Also, you could have run that 5700 motor IF you geared it correctly. Meaning if you used a very small pinion and large spur gear you might not have burned up your motor, even though the performance would have still not been impressive ... which leads me to the question, did you even check your motor's heat when you ran your first 2 motors??? I mean it's only common sense that when you run something new for the first time you should check to see if it's working correctly.....and then when you burn it the first time, you should check the motor the second time to make sure everything is running cool... Sorry but I don't know how else you can burn up 2 motors and then place the blame on Castle when clearly YOU ran the motor in your truck and then didn't bother to check the motor's heat. If you're knowledgeable enough to run brushless motors, then I think you should know some basic troubleshooting and problem spotting such as motor heat.

But any ways, good luck with your 10L... that should be a killer setup on a budget.. though how much does that BK ESC cost compared to the MM esc? BTW, you can get the Feigao type motors much cheaper ($20 cheaper) from places other than rc-monster...
Old 11-29-2007, 03:46 AM
knutklo

Just to get finished with the Mamba Max questions.
I tested if the motor got to hot by touching it and if I could hold my hand on the motor for 5 to 10 seconds it was OK I was told.
The Mamba Max 5700 did not even get near the heat that the Nemesis Blue motors get when I am driving but I can still hold my hands on the motor for 10 sekonds with ease...

I pay $179 for the BK 9920 ESC and $70 for the nemesis 10L and $75 for Feigao 10L
I am still pritty new in this brushless world cause here in North of Norway there are almost none that has Brushless Systems and the two dealers we have here does NOT have these brushless systems in the shop so I must search the internet trying to get what I think is best after talking to people like you about how and what to do to get my truck better and better ;-)

What is MM?
I must have ESC that I can waterproof cause of the winter and summer mudd driving and the BK 9920 ESC are easy to waterproof with plastiDip spray.

I am happy to get any links to good ESC's and Motors that might be good for HARD driving like snow and mudding.
I spend about $1-2000 each year on my hobbies (E-zilla and E-Savage) I have two trucks.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:38 PM
mycarisaser

I was one of the unfortunate ones that spent about $8000 last year on my trucks and I still need more stuff. I have come pretty close to the 8000 this year since I have gotten into airplanes too.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:02 PM
Slo-V Flyer

"MM" is just short for Mamba Max. The MM esc can be bought for around US $115-$125 + shipping from finedesignrc.com or b-p-p.com or other sites. I don't know how easy the BK is but the MM esc might require a little more work to become water proof. Oh, and don't forget that your motor will need to be water proofed too, or you will fry everything.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:19 PM
mycarisaser

Motors are already water proof(the windings have a coating on them so it doesnt shot out against each other) the ony area of concern is the connectors.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:42 PM
83gt

Funny. In big red letters at the top of castle's MM page:

NOTE: The Mamba Max Power System is NOT for use in 1/10th scale monster trucks.

Of course the mamba wouldn't pull it. Ouch. You have a good motor with the 10L, and a very nicely matched ESC. You might even give the MM ESC a shot with that 10L. I think you'll find they perform very nicely together, with nothing more than a small fan on the MM if needed. The PC programmability of the MM is very nice. Of course, that 9220 is just fine. I have heard they are not very smooth in operation though.

I had one question, you said you were running a Mod1 pinion and all else was stock. Are you using that Mod 1 pinion with the stock 32p spur ? If not, what spur/slipper assembly are you using ?

Thanks,

J.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:40 AM
knutklo

ORIGINAL: 83gt

Funny. In big red letters at the top of castle's MM page:

NOTE: The Mamba Max Power System is NOT for use in 1/10th scale monster trucks.

Of course the mamba wouldn't pull it. Ouch. You have a good motor with the 10L, and a very nicely matched ESC. You might even give the MM ESC a shot with that 10L. I think you'll find they perform very nicely together, with nothing more than a small fan on the MM if needed. The PC programmability of the MM is very nice. Of course, that 9220 is just fine. I have heard they are not very smooth in operation though.

I had one question, you said you were running a Mod1 pinion and all else was stock. Are you using that Mod 1 pinion with the stock 32p spur ? If not, what spur/slipper assembly are you using ?

Thanks,

J.
YES Mod1 Pinions runs on E-Svage Stock Spurgear but Idon't Know the pinion size I just told to order the mod1 and it is a direct fit
Old 12-01-2007, 02:07 AM
kostaktinos_mt

no way it works smooth... 32p and mod1 will work together, but VERY INEFFICIENTLY, which means lots of noise, heat, wear and tear, and limited performance ratio...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.