Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Brushless Exceed dynamite

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 09:57 PM
uncle everett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushless Exceed dynamite

I'm searching for a brushless system for my exceed dynamite. I'm thinking sensored for smooth control. I'm nervous about too much power ripping the truck apart. I would rather get a top of the line system so I can move it into my next truck (losi xxx-t cr). They just don't make good all arround 1/10th 4wd trucks, so I'm going to up grade the exceed.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:58 PM
Bigshades

Default RE: Brushless Exceed dynamite

Novak is the way to go. Reliable, Consistent, and Raceable. plenty of parts for the motors, great support, great color!!! novak also has those (xrb? ) new sport systems. And you cant go wrong with the GTB esc. go to thier website and sniff around for a while, you'll see a lot!!!

Cheers!
Old 11-25-2007, 11:03 PM
uncle everett

bigshades

Thanks, but I need some more info from you, please. In your opinion which motor is the best for this truck for all arround performance? Smooth not over the top, something usable at the track and powerful enough for the grass.

Livlrge
Old 11-26-2007, 01:04 AM
paintstikker

I'd say the XBR 8.5, but for a track a 7.5 would be more suitable, though you'd have to spend 80 more and get the GTB system.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:57 AM
Phelansa

Depends on your budget, but I would second the Novak XBR/EX 8.5 system.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:55 AM
speed racer 12

Well, I'm getting a brushless system for my Associated RC10 T4, and people are telling me that you do not want too much Kv rating, because you will end up gearing it down, and making inefficient use of power. They told me to get something in the middle, I'm going to get one with a rating of 5900 Kv. That will give me plenty of power, without having me spin out on the dirt or having to use a very small pinion.

Now, although my T4 is 2wd, I could imagine it is relatively the same with most off-road vehicles, but for a 4wd truck, I think that you might look for something that you could get more torque out of. Now this is just my estimation now, but i would guess that you should get a good torque motor, and getting a pinion that is 2 sizes smaller than what you would regularly use, just as a rule of thumb. But play around with the pinions, find something you like.

Bigshades is right, Novak would be a good choice if you have the money. But im going with Associated LRP, I had a good experience with them, cost about the same as the Novak too.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:36 AM
snellemin

That 2teeth less pinion rule, goes out the door with brushless. Brushless has enough torque and is way more efficient then the brushed counterpart.

using 6 cells for example;
lower kv motor will have more torque then the higher kv motor, but the topend will be higher with the higher kv motor.

Torque is dependant on your battery capability. So you can use a higher kv motor, but you need batteries that can handle the amps.

Voltage controls horsepower and Amperage controls Torque. In a nutshell, your gearing options are limited by your batteries and speed controllers.

Here is an example in my heavy rustler+87T Spur:

8L hacker 3750Kv--22T to 35T pinion depending where I race
Mamba 5700Kv--17T-24T pinion depending where I race
Feigao 8s 4436Kv-- 18T-26T pinion depending where I race
LRP X11 4.5 7800Kv-- 15T-19T pinion depending where I race

Old 11-26-2007, 12:01 PM
speed racer 12

OK, because that is what Ive been told. I am having issues with pinion gear selection, but I am figuring it out.

The voltage and amp thing is interesting, I never thought of it that way before, but now that I think of it, it makes sense. It sure simplifies things.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:02 PM
speed racer 12

What does 3s1p mean, what does that stand for?
Old 11-26-2007, 12:14 PM
snellemin

3s1p stands for 3 in series and 1 in parallel, or just 3 cells in series.

3s2p stands for 3 cells that are in series, connected in parallel with another set(this doubles your amps)
Old 11-26-2007, 12:26 PM
speed racer 12

Is this referring to LiPo batteries?
Old 11-26-2007, 12:34 PM
snellemin

ORIGINAL: speed racer 12

Is this referring to LiPo batteries?

No, it refers to batteries in general.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:39 PM
speed racer 12

OK, because I never heard of anyone running batteries in parallel. Running your cells in parallel would give you better run time, but make you lose power right?
Old 11-26-2007, 12:49 PM
snellemin

No not really.

It's not feasible with Nimh, just because of the weight and limited amp gain compared to lipos. Power to weight ratio makes no sense with Nimh connected in parallel in small vehicles.

With my A123 packs for example, sticking with 1P, my voltage drops considerbly when pulling 80 amps, not to mention that the batteries heat up quick(which is not a bad thing in dragracing). But if I connect them in parallel, I get double the amperage, less voltage drop and way cooler batteries. Not to mention longer run times. My warm batteries have less resistance, which is pretty good for dragracing. Its just that I have to calculate my estimated top speeds with 2.2 volts(racing with 1p) compared to 3v(bashing with 2p) when I dragrace.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:57 PM
speed racer 12

So what your saying is, it does not make sense to do this to NiMh packs, but you can do it to LiPo successfully?
Old 11-26-2007, 01:11 PM
tashspop
My Feedback: (1)

no loss in power. series simply adds voltage with each cell while maintaing the same amps and capacity. paralle does just the oposite. keeps same voltage but adds amps and capasity. when you run paralle, you need to keep everything equal ie 2x 3cell packs to make a 3s2p. not 1 3cell and 1 2cell to make i guess fire.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:08 PM
uncle everett

which is more powerful, a novak 7.5 or 8.5? I think the 7.5 right? I'm looking into the gtb and....
Old 11-26-2007, 04:41 PM
rcfun4dad

greetings, I'm currently testing my exceed truck out with a mamba max 6900. the two cell battery offers up to twenty five minutes of play. I have actually tested the breaking points, so here is what you need to do. The center drive shaft pins are the first to let go. i am going to place a small sleeve over each pin section and super glue them in place. Another hint. the mamba max is more than you will ever need, 65+ degrees climb and a safe 50 mph. more tips if you need them
Old 11-26-2007, 05:08 PM
uncle everett

also, I plan on using a single maxamps lipos 7.4volt 12,000 mah battery pack. I want to be able to put the brushless system into a losi xxx-t cr for racing in the spring. i'm think the 8.5 just to be on the powerful side, but I'm nervous about to much power? Is that crazy, can the exceed dynamite handle the power???
Old 11-26-2007, 05:28 PM
rcfun4dad

i honestly had to make a set of wheelie rollers just to keep the truck down. i put a 3 cell in mine( that's how i spun the shaft) and the truck literally jumps into the air, and does a backward 360. control seems to be all in our fingertips.punch control features are needed for agressive runs. i run a nitro style tire to handle the higher turning speeds. i did test a rear end for strength. it handled 40+ thousand rpm without breaking. i'm still testing possibilities
Old 11-26-2007, 05:30 PM
pede_187

Well, I'm getting a brushless system for my Associated RC10 T4, and people are telling me that you do not want too much Kv rating, because you will end up gearing it down, and making inefficient use of power. They told me to get something in the middle, I'm going to get one with a rating of 5900 Kv. That will give me plenty of power, without having me spin out on the dirt or having to use a very small pinion.

Now, although my T4 is 2wd, I could imagine it is relatively the same with most off-road vehicles, but for a 4wd truck, I think that you might look for something that you could get more torque out of. Now this is just my estimation now, but i would guess that you should get a good torque motor, and getting a pinion that is 2 sizes smaller than what you would regularly use, just as a rule of thumb. But play around with the pinions, find something you like.

Bigshades is right, Novak would be a good choice if you have the money. But im going with Associated LRP, I had a good experience with them, cost about the same as the Novak too.
I told you about the 2 teeth. I ment that with the MM4600 you should start your gearing at 2 teeth below and see how your temps are and go up or down from there.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:33 PM
speed racer 12

Well, it does sound like a bit much, you don't want too much because the higher the Kv rating, the higher the horsepower and top speed, but the lower Kv motors have more amps and that will give you more torque, which you need. You do not want to end up having to put a lower tooth pinion gear on.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:25 PM
uncle everett

just got dynamite in mail today. Not much suspension travel-but nice and low! Any photos on how to fit lipos? Novak gtb with 8.5, what do you guys think? I'll get a spekrum dx2 later. Sounds like these trucks can take so abuse! What will I race at the track??????
Old 11-27-2007, 12:26 AM
rcfun4dad

hi, impulse and max amps both make a pack that fits. i had to remove the two outer battery cradles , then they fit with the hold down perfectly. enjoy! just set that exceed battery aside for low power toys.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:47 AM
speed racer 12

I think Ill check out max amps, and see if i can find a battery to fit a T4, I'm curious. Although it will probably be a while be for I get one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.