Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

ESC and Motor not match?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 01:06 AM
KingOr28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESC and Motor not match?

Can a 19T motor and a 12T ESC match up together with no problems? I still don't quite understand how this works yet. Can someone please explain? Like as long as the ESC # is lower than the motor # as far as turns it will work? When will the ESC heat up and not match up with the motor?
Old 11-26-2007, 01:30 AM
Slo-V Flyer

Default RE: ESC and Motor not match?

Basically, the ESC should be able to handle a little lower # of turns then the motor you will run. So yes, a 12 turn ESC can run a 19t motor, 27t turn motor, or 12t motor. If you run a 11 or 10 turn motor in that 12T ESC you will be over the limit and will overheat the ESC most likely.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:01 AM
j.m.

or it will just completely ruin it.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:35 AM
KingOr28

(***UPDATE***) (Maybe because the ESC is rated at 7.2 volts, I have a DuraTrax 7.2v 3600 high quality battery that may be putting out more than 7.2v because its a better battery and its heating up the ESC to shutdown? -------------------------------> then why the hell is my ESC so hot to the touch now with my new setup? I am trying to troubleshoot why now after I went out and spent like $80 more bucks on my truck to get a NEW Tazer 12T ESC and a Dragon 19T motor, NOW I can tell it goes faster, but it will die for like 10 seconds and not respond, then go for like 10 seconds and soon as I turn, it dies for 10 seconds again and doesn't respond (and the process continues almost got hit by a car the otherday running to get it out of the street). I'm so upset about trying to troubleshoot this problem I just want the FREAKIN thing to work have I not spent enough money already (over $250 now).

I am not an expert but I think these things may be causing it below:

1. I have not set the ESC up by hitting the program button then hitting throttle to set the memory etc (not sure if not doing this would be causing the type of problem listed above)
2. The ESC is getting to hot to the touch and is shutting down to cool (why would it be doing this though with a 19T motor? Maybe better battery even though it is listed at 7.2v is putting out like 7.8v and shutting down the ESC to cool for 10 seconds? Remember I didn't have this problem until the new ESC come into the picture the Drago 19t motor worked ok for like 5 minutes with the STOCK ESC until it killed the ESC and it no worky then I had to replace it with the Tazer 12T ESC.
3. The dragon motor didn't come with capitiors, and they guy at the hobby shop didn't put them on which is causing radio interference? (he says the motor comes with built in capitors so it didn't need them when I called and explained that I thought it might have been that)
4. The radio system needs to be tweaked/replaced? But I never had the problem listed above with the stock ESC and Motor that came from Exceed RC on my 1/10 Monster Truck

Slo-V can you help me out with some advice with this man you been there 4 me from the very start when I came on this board and I appreciate it. Or anyone else with some ideas or info feel free to speak your mind!!
Old 11-26-2007, 02:01 PM
KingOr28

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search <----- should I buy this fan to try and cool the ESC, I have a strong gut feeling that it is the ESC getting to hot and the thermal shutdown feature kicking in...

what type of battery would I need to get to power that fan, and do you think this could fix the problem? I just saw another post with someone having the same problem with a Tazer 15t ESC overheating and that one is speced to handle 7cell 8.4 where mine only is 6cell 7.2

Old 11-26-2007, 02:52 PM
j.m.

your motor is probably over heating. If you were using a stock or higher motor before, then you need to use a pinion with a lower number of teeth. What car and gearing setup do you have?
Old 11-26-2007, 03:25 PM
KingOr28

Don't think its the motor as it isn't hot to the touch really. I have the Exceed 1/10 Electric RC truck with the stock pinion (not sure how many teeth it is). I replaced the stock motor with a Dragon 19T motor, and it worked fine for like 5-10 minutes without the stopping problem but it fried the stock ESC. I replaced the stock ESC with a Tazer 12T. This gets HOT HOT to the touch, and is only rated for 7.2v which is what I use but its a good battery so maybe it puts out more volts?

I can try a fan for the ESC. I can try switching the stock pinion (any suggestions on this?), or I can throw away the Tazer 12T ESC that I bought for $50 bucks and buy one with a higher volt rating? <------- this is pissing me off im getting tired of dumping money into this and stuff not working
Old 11-27-2007, 12:37 AM
Slo-V Flyer

No... A ESC rated for 7.2 volts can handle more than 7.2 v up to a limit. That is not the problem. All 6-cell batteries will charge up to 8 volts or so and ESCs are designed to run at those volts.

I too think that your pinion maybe too large for this new motor. Try to get a pinion gear that is 3 or 5 teeth smaller and see what happens. If the pinion is too large, the motor will pull more amps to generate torque, which will over heat the ESC and motor. What I am not sure about without looking at it myself is why only the ESC is overheating, and not the motor with your new setup.

Another thing is you may have a faulty ESC and might want to see if the warranty can cover it. If you can, call Dynamite and let them know of your problem and see what they can suggest about the shutdown issue.

Also, what size pinion and spur does your Exceed r/c come with? What size motor did it come with? It might help with the problem if we know that. Look up that info in your manual or Exceeds website.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:33 PM
KingOr28

The stock motor was a 540 motor. I am not sure about how many turns it was. The stock ESC I'm not sure what the specs on that were they didn't really say, it did say up to 6-7cell in the manual though.

That is some great advice about maybe being a bad ESC and to contact company. I might do that actually. I ran the truck last night and it actually didn't die like it has been doing, this is after I programmed the ESC though like the manul said so this may have fixed that not sure yet will see how next run goes.

I did notice that the battery dies a lot faster now than it used to I guess cause this new motor and esc are pulling more amps than the old setup.

I will keep you updated on how the next few runs go.

I am so tempted to get a new RC car I wanna maybe get the Traxxas Rustler XL-5 RTR with the Speical towerhobbies is running right now with like $25 off or something, I got an itchy mouse triger clicker lol