Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Triton 2 Charger (About to Order)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 08:20 PM
Takedown
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Triton 2 Charger (About to Order)

Im about to order the GP Triton 2 charger and I was wondering what are the ups and downs of the charger? I plan to use it with one of the 12v 10a power supplies I got from school today. BTW this is a x-mas gift from my mom. I might get to open it right when it gets here.[8D]

Thanks for the input.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:28 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Triton 2 Charger (About to Order)

If you are familar with the original Triton, then here's a comparison.

Comparing Differences between Triton 2 and Original Triton. If you like the Triton's interface, you will like the T-2 better.
First off I will list the obvious improvements and then move on to some menu and feature changes. Take the changes as good or bad , most are good.
OBVIOUS differences: most of these are on sales literature. http://www.electrifly.com/chargers/gpmm3153.html
Blue Back-lite and has slightly smaller characters, but is easier to read.It looks more like "regular text" I had no problems seeing the display on either T-1 or t-2.
7 amp charge rate capacity now. This was one of my complaints with T-1 and even though the total power is still 90 watts the 7 amp rate is real nice. Racers?
The increased LIPO rate of 7 amps is also a plus. The new max 7 amp affects all types , even pb.
Increased output voltage for lipos is now up to 5S instead of 4S and is a welcome and simple change. No change to the max output for NI batts (still about 39 volts)
It may have been just as easy to go up to 8S lipos, go figure??
Banana inputs have been added along with dc adapter clamps similar to the T-1 having only the dc clamps, a nice change I do to most of my chargers anyways.
A (worse) round scrolling button is now present along with heavier feeling detents when scrolling. It makes it slower to scroll through values (yes I like spinner knobs on steering wheels) I think the heavy detents with the old button would be tops. I'll get used to it.
A new manual with about half the number of pages should be simpler , yet may have some missing info. I prefer the original and is a matter of preference.
Lipos can now be discharged at 3 amps instead of 2.5 amps.
A neat little warning to not plug a battery into the temp probe plug.
Generally a touch nicer looking charger and a brighter box. It is nearly identical case, display, buttons, labeling.
On to what was lost in the upgrade (I'll add things if I happen to notice more) I welcome additions by others.
The ability to set a separate capacity AND current for lipos is gone, and is replaced with only a capacity setting. The default rate is a 1C rate, I like a bit more control and wonder how I will charge at a rate lower than 1C while still using the correct capacity in a memory setting. We will see if it will stop at the capacity set-point, this may be a non-issue.
Some of the troubling global settings that many complained about are now separated, a very welcome change.
Main Menu
Adds temp scale option of C and F. and increased the range of temp cut-off from 60-130 for original to 50-150 on the T-2 Very nice.
The cycle setting for NI batts display now has (in addition to the rates) a number of times setting. It has been moved from the main menu and I prefer it the new way.
Lipo Menu
Sets the capacity of the batt instead of the current.
The Voltages for separate LI-ion and Lipo are now replaced with a different type setting for each one. Cool with me.
Good News that it ramps up with in about 30 seconds on a lipo instead of the sometimes 10 minutes of the T-1, It looks similar to the Ice and is great.
Memory Menu
No charge current in Lipo memory, the option is eliminated (see above)
Added Lithium Type (only Li-ion and Lipo 4.1 and 4.2 termination voltages) No A123 termination voltages as of yet. Bummer.
The "no. of cells" setting became "total pack voltage" A matter of preference again. NI setting is in 1.2 volt increments.
The capacity setting in memories has been increased from 6000 mah to 9900 mah, very nice.
The cut-off voltage is now a total instead of a "per cell" setting so in effect has far finer increments. Nice.
Global settings (these are all improvements over the original in my opinion)
The global settings that so many complained about are all in the same spot (menu) but are separated between types now like they should be. The only thing left to do is to allow different memories to use different settings. I guess we will have to wait for that.
The buzzer can now be set for each type of battery.
The safety Timer can now be set for each type.
The temp cut-off can now be set for each type.
The peak delay at start can now be different between nicad and nimh batts.
The delay between C<D can be different for nicad and nimh now also, but the Number of cycles menu has been moved to the Cycle screen where it belongs.
The Nicad and Nimh peak sensitivity settings were seperate in the T-1 and are still that way.
I am not into cycling and reading cycle data very often, but if I notice any differences I will update. Other info to follow as I get used to this T-2.
Now if I could just disabled that open voltage check every minute,,,lol. One plus is that it will charge thru a radio diode now, but still won't discharge thru it of course.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:33 PM
Takedown

Thank you so much Guver! I had a feeling that you'd help me on this one.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:31 PM
paintstikker

I have it, and I like it better than my ICE anyway...

Mainly cause it has a LCD screen with a backlight, and I can charge 4 packs at once.

I dunno about you, but sometimes I'll run two vehicles w/ 2 packs each so it's nice to charge enough packs for them at the same time.

Plus, this thing is small, it's great for when I travel.

The only downside IMO is that it won't break in motors but that's not important as all my mod brushed systems are being converted to BL anyway.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:54 PM
Always Dreamin

i have 4 batteries too. that looks like a nice charger, i might have to start thinking about one for x-mas.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:26 PM
Takedown

I went to my LHS today to pick up a Century Mod1 14t piinion and I had already told my mom what I wanted for christmas and she said to check to see if my LHS had them instock. So I checked doubting that the'd have it and sure eough it was there. It took me around 20mins to decide wbetween the T2 and the Ice and well I got my Triton 2. Wow is it small! Its also very lightweight and Im loving the look of it. I sure hope it preforms as good as it looks. But a 24cell charging capability is very handy esspecially when you need to be able to charge 3-4 packs at once (racing)
I sure hope that once I start racing that this charger will do me plenty good and be very reliable.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:28 PM
Takedown

ORIGINAL: Always Dreamin

i have 4 batteries too. that looks like a nice charger, i might have to start thinking about one for x-mas.
Remember to get a 12v power supply. Says right in the instructions you need a minimum 12v 10a power supply.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:45 PM
PedeBeater

Do you have to wait till christmas or do you get it now?
Old 11-30-2007, 07:50 PM
Takedown

My mom gave me the choice. I want to wait till christmas.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:26 PM
Takedown

I dont know Im already getting to tempted to just open it now. We'll have to wait and see.