Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

duratrax ep st

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 10:58 PM
NjBasher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default duratrax ep st

im thinking this is the truck im going to get. how much of an upgrade is it from tamiya? do you think i can race in competetion with this truck?
Old 11-29-2007, 11:01 PM
Always Dreamin

Default RE: duratrax ep st

ORIGINAL: truggyman240

im thinking this is the truck im going to get. how much of an upgrade is it from tamiya? do you think i can race in competetion with this truck?
i might be the only one that doesn't know what truck you are talking about. what tamiya is it?
Old 11-29-2007, 11:07 PM
NjBasher

heres the link
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAFE4&P=0
Old 11-29-2007, 11:16 PM
Always Dreamin

heres the link
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAFE4&P=0
i know the truck. i was asking about your current truck. only because you asked how they compared.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:19 PM
NjBasher

oh i have a super hornet wit monster truck tires on it.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:21 PM
Always Dreamin

oh i have a super hornet wit monster truck tires on it.
you should notice quite a diffrence. it didn't look like you were looking at the ext were you? that would be the duratrax i would reccomend right now. cheap, durable, and a fun truck. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXSGU7**&P=ML
Old 11-30-2007, 10:24 AM
04DarkShadowGT

Other than the DF-03 or the high end 4wd buggy the Tamiya off road cars are not good racers.

The Evader is much better than any tamiya stadium truck.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:51 AM
cheech4

I agree right now the evader EXT is a better buy than the regular evader. its stronger has a better tranny, and the price is sweet.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:16 PM
Ttowntoolman

I disagree about the ext, it is cheeper, but better? There are no ball bearings in the truck anywhere, all brass bushings. There is no foam in the tires just rubber glued to the rims. The diff is a gear type that does not seal good, can only use grease in it, would be nice if it had a ball diff. There are outdrives with dogbones instead of CVD's. My oldest son bought a new one 3 weeks ago. It does run OK and drives nice but will require many upgrades to keep up to your friends regular ep evaders. Stock out of the box is slow under 20mph.

My sons truck has broken in half, the tub broke at the rear. So what about the stress tech waranty, broken stuff is broken stuff which means your not running. We made an aluminum plate to join the halves back together. He has broken one of the outdrives, we replaced it with a cvd from a regular evader. Lastly, the UGLY body has cracked to the point where it will not stay on the truck any longer. I can here that the transmission gears or the gear diff is about to go as it is starting to click when slowing down.

It is OK for a first r/c car, but if it would have been my first r/c car, I would be turned off on the whole r/c thing. I am not biased against duratrax cars either, I own 4 nitro Evader trucks, and 2 evader pro st's which I like very much and would recomend to anyone.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:08 PM
04DarkShadowGT

ORIGINAL: Ttowntoolman

I disagree about the ext, it is cheeper, but better? There are no ball bearings in the truck anywhere, all brass bushings. There is no foam in the tires just rubber glued to the rims. The diff is a gear type that does not seal good, can only use grease in it, would be nice if it had a ball diff. There are outdrives with dogbones instead of CVD's. My oldest son bought a new one 3 weeks ago. It does run OK and drives nice but will require many upgrades to keep up to your friends regular ep evaders. Stock out of the box is slow under 20mph.

My sons truck has broken in half, the tub broke at the rear. So what about the stress tech waranty, broken stuff is broken stuff which means your not running. We made an aluminum plate to join the halves back together. He has broken one of the outdrives, we replaced it with a cvd from a regular evader. Lastly, the UGLY body has cracked to the point where it will not stay on the truck any longer. I can here that the transmission gears or the gear diff is about to go as it is starting to click when slowing down.

It is OK for a first r/c car, but if it would have been my first r/c car, I would be turned off on the whole r/c thing. I am not biased against duratrax cars either, I own 4 nitro Evader trucks, and 2 evader pro st's which I like very much and would recomend to anyone.
I think someone needs to learn how to drive thier car better. j/k The chassis is identical between the ST and EXT so if you broke one you would have broken the other.

The EXT tranny is MUCH stronger than the ST. The biggest complaint about the ST and BX were the ball diffs and the maintenance involved, now that DTX went to a gear diff people complain and want the ball diff. Its a no win situation. Imo the gear diff is better, it has some play and is not as adjustable as the ball diff. But its stronger and virtually no maintenance.

But you are also comparing the EXT to a Evader pro, the pro has alot of hop-ups already on it so of course that is going to be better. No denying that bushings suck, but the EXT is $99 on ultimate while the ST is around $170. The ST/BX is not $70 more truck imo and I own both.

Yeah no tires foams may be a problem when racing, but who uses stock rtr car tires to race? Everyone upgrades to proline or something better anyway.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:19 PM
cheech4

for 99 bucks, the evader EXT rtr is a better buy than the regular st evader rtr. i have the pro and with the upgrades as mentioned, and i have upgraded things on top of that. i do wish the EXT did come with bearings but again what can you expect for 99 bucks?
as far as the tranny, going the EXT route was the best thing DTX did for the evader, why cuz they actually listened.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:17 PM
Ttowntoolman

$99 for an entry level truck looks real apealing, but you get what you pay for. Gear diffs are good when they are sealed and you can put silicone in them. Gear diffs that contain grease, dont seal and have both steel and plastic gears will not last. What are you going to do when the brushes go in that nice motor? Upgrade? You better plan on getting a speed contol also. Of coarse now that you have spent the money on a nice motor and speed contol, now the diff needs to be upgraded as well as adding all the missing bearings throughout the truck. This is how my brain works, so I say, spend more upfront and you'll be much happier down the road. You wont have to put it up in the closet while you save for your upgrades.

Darkshadow; My son can drive pretty good, he was jumping the ext over a huge jump he built. He built the jump because he was getting board with this slow truck. Tried to jump it into the basketball hoop 3 pointer style and broke the pan. He has no respect for this truck as it does not meet his expectations. I said to him, "what do you expect for $100"? He said he was hoping it would be as good as my old T3. He has priced all the upgrades he would like and now just intends to get something else. Wana buy a slightly used EXT? Only 3 weeks old.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:39 PM
cheech4

for 99 bucks, there is no better stadium truck to buy period. handling aspects are the same as the pro version, and with that being said you get a great handling truck for 99 bucks, that is more durable plus a 1 years warranty, im sorry its hard to pass up a sweet deal.. DTX hit this one right on the money.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:49 PM
04DarkShadowGT

$99 for an entry level truck looks real apealing, but you get what you pay for. Gear diffs are good when they are sealed and you can put silicone in them. Gear diffs that contain grease, dont seal and have both steel and plastic gears will not last. What are you going to do when the brushes go in that nice motor? Upgrade? You better plan on getting a speed contol also. Of coarse now that you have spent the money on a nice motor and speed contol, now the diff needs to be upgraded as well as adding all the missing bearings throughout the truck. This is how my brain works, so I say, spend more upfront and you'll be much happier down the road. You wont have to put it up in the closet while you save for your upgrades.

Darkshadow; My son can drive pretty good, he was jumping the ext over a huge jump he built. He built the jump because he was getting board with this slow truck. Tried to jump it into the basketball hoop 3 pointer style and broke the pan. He has no respect for this truck as it does not meet his expectations. I said to him, "what do you expect for $100"? He said he was hoping it would be as good as my old T3. He has priced all the upgrades he would like and now just intends to get something else. Wana buy a slightly used EXT? Only 3 weeks old.
Why would you have to upgrade the ESC on the EXT but not the ST. They are the same thing. Besides even in the ST and the brushes go bad on that motor most people will upgrade to a different one anyway since the ST motor is nothing to write home about.

You are adding unnecessary upgrades to the EXT to make it sould like less of a value when chances are most would upgrade the ST the exact same way so you are spending $70 extra for nothing.

I would argue you are getting alot more for your money because the EXT transmission will need LESS upgrading than the ST or BX. There are already people with ST and BX cars trying to buy the whole EXT tranny to upgrade their supposedly better truck with cheaper parts from an inferior car.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:49 AM
Ttowntoolman

The ESC and motor on a regular Evader is a Photon speed 20 turn, the EXT has a Photon speed 2 no turn specified is not the same motor, noticably slower. You can replace the motor in a regular with some choices, but not the ext, must use the same motor or replace the esc also. This little fact alone justifies the regular Evader over the EXT not to mention the bearings that are totally absent on the EXT, the radio that does not have a charge jack on it so you can't run Nicads, the ugly pastel colored body which is thinner than a regular Evader, and the missing foam in the tires.

The only difference between an EXT and a Walmart r/c is that there are upgrade parts available for the EXT. Yes the Evader EXT is a cheep entry level hobby grade r/c car, all I am saying is I think your better off buying a little more expensive r/c right away. This unless you of coarse are only interested in bashing around and have no interest in racing. I am a racer, this is where my opinions may differ from others.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:15 AM
cheech4

The ESC and motor on a regular Evader is a Photon speed 20 turn, the EXT has a Photon speed 2 no turn specified is not the same motor, noticably slower. You can replace the motor in a regular with some choices, but not the ext, must use the same motor or replace the esc also. This little fact alone justifies the regular Evader over the EXT not to mention the bearings that are totally absent on the EXT, the radio that does not have a charge jack on it so you can't run Nicads, the ugly pastel colored body which is thinner than a regular Evader, and the missing foam in the tires.

The only difference between an EXT and a Walmart r/c is that there are upgrade parts available for the EXT. Yes the Evader EXT is a cheep entry level hobby grade r/c car, all I am saying is I think your better off buying a little more expensive r/c right away. This unless you of coarse are only interested in bashing around and have no interest in racing. I am a racer, this is where my opinions may differ from others.

where does it say the motor cannot be replaced, even if the wires were hard wired.. you can always cut them and install a new motor.
do you have the EXT to make such statement???
Old 12-03-2007, 11:23 AM
Ttowntoolman

Yes I have an EXT. The motor can be replaced with another Photon speed 2 motor. The ESC does not specify what turn motor it can handle so the only motor that will work with the ESC is the exact same motor or one that is equal to the one it comes with. Know where in the litterature does it say what turn the motor actually is, so good luck getting something different.

I own 4 nitro Evaders.
I own 2 Evader ep pro ST's
I own 1 Evader ep EXT
I own 1 Evader ep ST
I own 1 RC10B3
I own 1 RC10T3
I own 1 Klein Nitro sprint
Old 12-03-2007, 02:54 PM
04DarkShadowGT

Yes I have an EXT. The motor can be replaced with another Photon speed 2 motor. The ESC does not specify what turn motor it can handle so the only motor that will work with the ESC is the exact same motor or one that is equal to the one it comes with. Know where in the litterature does it say what turn the motor actually is, so good luck getting something different.

I own 4 nitro Evaders.
I own 2 Evader ep pro ST's
I own 1 Evader ep EXT
I own 1 Evader ep ST
I own 1 RC10B3
I own 1 RC10T3
I own 1 Klein Nitro sprint
I am not denying that the motor on the EXT is not as good, however the one on the ST isnt anything great either. Most people would replace the motor on either one when the original dies anyway. So arguing the ST is better because the brushes are replaceable is kinda a moot point. I agree that no tire foam for people who race can pose a problem, however 99% of the people who race arent going to use stock tires anyway so again imo its not that big of a deal and for a basher no foam isnt a huge deal.

The ESC on the ST isnt something great either, it has a 20 turn limit so if you decide to upgrade the motor on the ST you will need a new ESC too. But with the $70 you save going with the ext and then buying $20 in bearings, you have $50 to buy a new esc and motor.

Not only that but the EXT has stronger plastic, stonger transmission, stronger servo, and nearly all hop-ups are interchangeable.

Dont act like the EXT is a piece of junk or not even a hobby grade RC. Its almost as good as the ST in racing out of the box and is a better stronger basher all while bing $50-$70 cheaper.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:46 PM
cjg

"Tried to jump it into the basketball hoop 3 pointer style and broke the pan."

And people criticize duratrax for being fragile???? Would anyone dream of such a thing with their Losi or Associated? I don't think so...it would end up just as broken...

Reminds me of the kid who complain he broke his evader trying to jump his garage...and claimed the evader was trash because it broke....
Old 02-06-2008, 09:53 AM
conservative

Hey all,

OK. forgive me all, but i am completely new to all this r/c stuff. My 3 year old son and me bought a r/c car from Toys R Us and tried to drive it in our backyard which is basically just grass with minimal terrain. The r/c was terrible as you can imagine so i returned in and got my money back. I went to a hobby shop and bought the Evader ext. I ran it outside today for the first time and it was 500% better than the other (of course). I read some of the above comments and am happy with this car as i'll not be racing it. However, i do want to do some upgrades. I was interested in getting a bearing kit to install since i know there are none on the car as is. I found this site: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=DTXD29**&P=OW

which has lots of upgrades for my car. Would the first item on the site, the bearing set, work for my car? would i be able to install it? What other upgrades would improve the cars performance? I figure many of the upgrades are mostly for looks which is fine but i'd rather improve the cars performance first....Also i'd like to get new tires, but i cannot find them on any site. I hope all this makes some sense. Thanks....
kyle
Old 02-06-2008, 10:38 AM
04DarkShadowGT

I have an EXT and its a great truck. The first thing I bought was to upgrade to bearings. The only other way to increase performance is to repalce the motor and speed control. I dont know what kind of budget you are working with but here are some suggestions.

Budget Minded -

Runner Reverse ESC - $39 - http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKYX5&P=7
Team Orion 19t SV2 Motor - $28 - http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJAK4&P=SM

Best Solution -

Traxxas VXL Brushless System - $169 - http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXSDB8&P=ML
Mamba Sidwinder Brushless System - $129 - https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...ns&pn=CCMM7702

Wheels and Tires -

Duratrax has abotu the only wheels I have found that have wheels that fit both front and rear. They also have different colors.

Front Wheels - $5.50 - http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAMW4&P=OW
Rear Wheels - $5.50 - http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAMW7&P=OW

As far as tires, any 2.2 sized tire will fit. Here are some of the more popular brands

Proline Dirt Hawgs - http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDU11&P=7
Proline Moabs - http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLDK4&P=7
Proline Mashers - http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSTA5&P=7
Proline Holeshots - rear - http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFHL6&P=7
Proline Edge - fronts - http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFHL7&P=M

There are tons of others just search for 2.2 at towerhobbies or any other online shop. Or better yet if you have a local shop, go there and give them your business to help the local hobby.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:12 AM
conservative

Thank you for the advice. Though i cannot get the real expensive stuff and, probably, i'd never need it, not to mention my wife would choke me. However i'd like to get the cheaper motor and ESC (what the heck is an ESC?). I am worried about adjustments. When i get these extra items are they like plug and play or does it take some adjusting to fine tune them? I was looking at the parts list in my last post and saw some gears you can buy with different numbers of teeth on them. are those upgrades from what i currently have? just replacements? What is an ESC and what makes one better than another? When i get the bearing kit are they easy to install or does it take some modifications that i might be scared to do? Please forgive all the questions, and thanks again for the advice.
kyle
Old 02-06-2008, 11:14 AM
conservative

forgot to ask. i like those tires alot more than what i have. could use use the knotty tires on the front and rear or should the front remain without rough treads?
Old 02-06-2008, 11:35 AM
04DarkShadowGT

ORIGINAL: conservative

Thank you for the advice. Though i cannot get the real expensive stuff and, probably, i'd never need it, not to mention my wife would choke me. However i'd like to get the cheaper motor and ESC (what the heck is an ESC?). I am worried about adjustments. When i get these extra items are they like plug and play or does it take some adjusting to fine tune them? I was looking at the parts list in my last post and saw some gears you can buy with different numbers of teeth on them. are those upgrades from what i currently have? just replacements? What is an ESC and what makes one better than another? When i get the bearing kit are they easy to install or does it take some modifications that i might be scared to do? Please forgive all the questions, and thanks again for the advice.
kyle
The real benefit of the brushless systems is they are much more efficent, require virtually no maintenace, and therefore give you more sped and longer run times. But if you cant swing the $130 then the other stuff is just fine.

The ESC is the electronic speed control, it basically sends the motor the power from the battery and tells it how fast to spin, therefore controlling the speed of the car. There really isnt much fine tuning with setting this stuff up, the ESC will have a manual that gives you everything you need to know. Its pretty easy.

The more expensive esc's have more features or can handle a faster motor (lower turns). The motor I recommended is a 19turn motor, if you go to a lower number of turns you will get more speed and less torque. The ESC is rated to a certain turn motor, the one I recommended could handle down to 18 turns. The more expensive ones have higher limits or even on the higher end stuff no motor limit.

The gears you are refering to are pinion gears (small ones, usually metal) and the large ones, spur gear. The smaller the number of teeth on the pinion the less top speed and less heat but more torque and run time. The larger you go the more heat will be generated as well as more top speed, but you will have less off the line power and less run time. The spur gear is also figured the same way but in the ext really doesnt need to be changed.

To install the bearing kit, you do need to completely dis assemble the transmission. Its not difficult but can be intimidating for a first timer. Installing the bearings in the axles and wheels is really easy.

I saw by your location you have a Hobbytown in your town. Id go there and you can see some of this stuff in person and can see what they have in stock and recommend.

HOBBYTOWN USA
(706) 660-1793
6770 VETERANS PARKWAY
COLUMBUS, GA 31909

ORIGINAL: conservative

forgot to ask. i like those tires alot more than what i have. could use use the knotty tires on the front and rear or should the front remain without rough treads?
I dont see why you couldnt use them front and rear, but another one that may be a better option would be these.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFHL7&P=M
Old 02-06-2008, 11:42 AM
conservative

Okie Dokie, thanks again....that hobby shop is where i bought the car. The dude said he had lots of upgrades for the car....i'll check his prices in comparison with the online ones. Is the bearing kit easy to install? i know that the ext doesn't have any bearings in it, just bushings. Is it necessary?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.