Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

batteries getting hot when charging?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 12:17 PM
keepontruckin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default batteries getting hot when charging?

i just recieved three 3600 NiMh and i cycled one, and tired to quick charge it with my dynamite Mega2 charger (the one with the 15min dial) and i charged it for 40 minuets, and it started to get warm so i took it off, i ran it in my pede and it seemed like a good charge, when it died i let it cool, and pluged it into my MRC 819 SuperBrain to peak charge it, and i noticed after about 45-50 minuets it was still not done, and decently warm/hot i unplugged it, and let it cool off

how hot should batteries get when charging, and how long do 3600 NiMh usually take to charge??
Old 12-01-2007, 12:44 PM
Bigshades

Default RE: batteries getting hot when charging?

ORIGINAL: keepontruckin

i just recieved three 3600 NiMh and i cycled one, and tired to quick charge it with my dynamite Mega2 charger (the one with the 15min dial) and i charged it for 40 minuets, and it started to get warm so i took it off, i ran it in my pede and it seemed like a good charge, when it died i let it cool, and pluged it into my MRC 819 SuperBrain to peak charge it, and i noticed after about 45-50 minuets it was still not done, and decently warm/hot i unplugged it, and let it cool off

how hot should batteries get when charging, and how long do 3600 NiMh usually take to charge??
at what rate does your charger charge at? and are the 3600's in a shotgun configuration or side x side?

generaly a battery will heat up as it aproaches its peak. it should be a little warm/hot. BUT, if it is uncomfortable to touch, or too hot to touch, that IS too hot.

i would suggest charging at a lower rate if possible with the 819.

cheers!
Old 12-01-2007, 03:05 PM
keepontruckin

charger charges at 4amps and the batteries are 6cell side x side 3600NiMh
Old 12-01-2007, 05:59 PM
magnat

The Superbrain should detect a peak and shut off when there done.. I do know some 3600mah batts to hold a 4200mah charge when new..