Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

official water proofing thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 11:51 AM
RC_Basher20
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default official water proofing thread

i have seen a lot of people asking on how to water proof their trucks, so feel free to post pics of you water proofing your trucks for the rain or snow I'm trying to water proof mine, ill post pics later on
Old 12-02-2007, 11:53 AM
Always Dreamin

Default RE: official water proofing thread

ORIGINAL: hockey911

i have seen a lot of people asking on how to water proof their trucks, so feel free to post pics of you water proofing your trucks for the rain or snow I'm trying to water proof mine, ill post pics later on
i would like to water proof my stampede vxl. any suggestions? i have seen ways to make boxes for the esc and stuff but that just looks like too much work. i want something that is easy that can be removed in a snap. also, i want a way to make sure everything is water proof. such as battery, vxl, motor, everything.

thanks
always dreamin
Old 12-02-2007, 12:20 PM
RC_Basher20

ORIGINAL: Always Dreamin

i would like to water proof my stampede vxl. any suggestions? i have seen ways to make boxes for the esc and stuff but that just looks like too much work. i want something that is easy that can be removed in a snap. also, i want a way to make sure everything is water proof. such as battery, vxl, motor, everything.

thanks
always dreamin
well i made something for the esc which is very easy, get a small tupperwarre container, drill a hole in the top, put wires through the hole, close container, glue where the hole is not letting water in and now ur esc is water proofed, is there anything wrong wiht puttin a battery in a ziplock bag?
sry for the horrible picture, i was using my laptop camera and it shows horrible pics and i didnt wanna soedn $$ sending pics to my e-mail from my phone and having it to take forev.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:23 PM
Always Dreamin

only one problem. how are you going to mount the esc? about the ziplock, it would work fine but it might be a little big. you might want to try a large baloon. i have a question about those wires. just because the esc is waterproofed, would it hurt if the wires got wet. i mean, they do lead to the esc.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:24 PM
RC_Basher20

only one problem. how are you going to mount the esc? about the ziplock, it would work fine but it might be a little big. you might want to try a large baloon. i have a question about those wires. just because the esc is waterproofed, would it hurt if the wires got wet. i mean, they do lead to the esc.
im gonna waterproof every connection and electronic ill put the battery in a ziplock and glue the opening

ill tape it down
Old 12-02-2007, 12:25 PM
Always Dreamin

im gonna waterproof every connection and electronic ill put the battery in a ziplock and glue the opening

ill tape it down
don't forget your motor, reciever, and servo. do you have any ideas on how you plan to mount the xl-5?
Old 12-02-2007, 12:29 PM
RC_Basher20

ill tape it down
don't forget your motor, reciever, and servo. do you have any ideas on how you plan to mount the xl-5?
brushed motor can get wet ill post pics of what i did so far
i found a gerber baby tubberware conatiner heres some pics (1 top runined and wasted trying this lol)
Old 12-02-2007, 12:31 PM
Always Dreamin

brushed motor can get wet ill post pics of what i did so far
sorry, forgot you had a brushed motor.
do you have any idea on how you plan to mount it?
Old 12-02-2007, 12:49 PM
RC_Basher20

lol ya, iwont risk my bl when i get it so when i get a new motor ill used my xl-5 and titan for drivin in water
Old 12-02-2007, 01:03 PM
rc monkey

Things to note when waterproofing:
1. Battery and (brushed) motor can get wet/run under water
2. If you put your esc in a bag/box/sealed container it will more than likely overheat - you are much better buying a waterproof esc
3. Connections do not need to be waterproofed
4. Reciever just needs put into a balloon to be waterproof
5. Servo can either be put into a balloon with a hole in the top, or you can open it up and seal all the joints inside
Old 12-02-2007, 01:38 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

anyone ever used testors plastic cement? will puting it on the seams, joints, where wires come out and around heat sink of esc waterproof it?
Attached Images  
Old 12-02-2007, 01:42 PM
hands without shadows

Mold building latex is pretty amazing stuff. You simply paint a thin coat on the cover of your receiver/servo/ESC, let it dry, repeat a few times, and your done. The result is a latex "glove" that fits your piece of electronics perfectly. Don't paint this onto the ESC heatsinks or servo output shafts, the heatsinks are left fine bare and an O ring under the servo saver will keep the servo safe. If you want to remove it you can simply pull it off. You can buy mold builder latex at craft stores like Michaels's.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:48 PM
syncronized77

2. If you put your esc in a bag/box/sealed container it will more than likely overheat - you are much better buying a waterproof esc
I totally agree. I've had nothing but good times with my Mtroniks ESC. And if anything goes wrong with it....u just send it in and their turnaround time is incredible! The only thing that sucks about that is that you need a backup esc....which I've already blown by enclosing it in a waterproof container *POOF*

So now it's snowing and I don't have an ESC to go bashing in!![:@]

So I'm thinking about getting another waterproof ESC, what do you guys think....

Mtroniks Viper Truck vs Mtroniks Viper Max vs LRP AI Runner Reverse (not sure if this handles 7 cells??)

Can anyone else suggest any other waterproof esc's that can handle 7 cells?
Old 12-02-2007, 04:09 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life
My Feedback: (34)

Ai runners are horrible.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:01 PM
syncronized77

Ai runners are horrible.
Thanks for the input....I was just about to bid on one via eBay LOL! Mtroniks it is...I guess you can't really go wrong with a company that's well known and has great customer service.

Also, quick question....can us bashers use boat ESCs? I need something to get me going in the snow while my mtroniks is getting serviced []
Old 12-02-2007, 05:09 PM
Krazy Chicken

ORIGINAL: CustomTamiyas4Life

Ai runners are horrible.
what is wrong with ai runners? i am about to buy one
Old 12-02-2007, 06:17 PM
Straick7

I opened up my Tazer 15T ESC and covered the board in hot glue after rewireing the programming switch to be on the side of the housing. Running an Evader ST with the nice nickname of Submarine(I didn't know the puddle was that deep). Receiver in a balloon with black RTV in the neck followed by a siptie to help seal it. Battery and motor left exposed. Waterproof grease in the drivetrain(so that it won't wash out). Top it all off with a servo that is completely water tight. O-ring on the output shaft, RTV on the seams of the case and were the wire enters the case. It'll drive through a swamp and come out the other side very muddy, but still running as good as when it entered, if only the 1:1 vehicles could be waterproofed so easily.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:23 PM
ElectricGuy007

ORIGINAL: rc monkey

Things to note when waterproofing:
1. Battery and (brushed) motor can get wet/run under water
3. Connections do not need to be waterproofed
4. Reciever just needs put into a balloon to be waterproof
5. Servo can either be put into a balloon with a hole in the top, or you can open it up and seal all the joints inside
Time to get out the shoe goo.....just kidding...wouldnt be able to get the servo back apart if you did that...
Would silicon work, I saw some at wal-mart....blue siliocon....i think...
Old 12-02-2007, 06:27 PM
Krazy Chicken

ORIGINAL: RC Freak363

Ai runners are horrible.
i didnt get a answer, what is wrong with AI runners
Old 12-02-2007, 06:29 PM
ElectricGuy007

Overheating issues I suppose....the only LRP esc's ive seen that are any good are the sphere competion and a few others.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:47 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life

Ai runners are horrible.
i didnt get a answer, what is wrong with AI runners
Overheating, innacurate rating, throttle has a "traction control" control system but actually it's 2 seperate speeds, making accelleration unsmooth. It has a mega reverse delay. They are rated for 18t and 7 cells yet I ran a 19t and 6 cells and it overheated every couple minutes until it actual went up in flame and the board was permanently damaged. I am not the only one who says this either, most who have owned one and run it with a motor under 27t will agree it is not suitible for the task. I can testify that they are waterproof though, I perposely drove it through a deep puddle and did a full run in rain and it kept working. I would get an mtroniks or do the waterproofring yourself.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:57 PM
RC_Basher20

i just ran my truck outside in a cm of snow i water proofed everything and id dint really have to

lol it was awesome! i said i was going outside to run my truck my dad was like no your not your truck will get wet and the electronics will die out

then i showed him what id di to my electronics, he was like wow go have fun

lol it was 5:15 and dark go i got a flashlight and put it on a chair and ran it

donuts! lol with my motor if i go half throtle my motor or tanyy clicks so i ony went half throttle and man was it fun sry, no pics truck was dry when i thgouht

of taking pics and in the driveway the snow coverd from the tracks from my tires
Old 12-02-2007, 08:00 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life

Lucky! Havent gotten any snow yet in ct and i'm like 10 miles away from RI.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:05 PM
RC_Basher20

Lucky! Havent gotten any snow yet in ct and i'm like 10 miles away from RI.
lol i fell bad 4 ya lol but remba i could have had more fun but.... i could only go half thorotle
Old 12-02-2007, 08:09 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life

I have a broken outdrive

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.