Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Wife sees the light...

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 10:22 AM
ajb1205

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wife sees the light...

I have been really "suggesting" to my beautiful wife of 7 years and 3 children (gotta throw that in just incase she sees this) that a Ruslter VXL would look great under the Christmas tree. She, as it seems are most wives that their husbands are into rc, thinks that it's a total waste of time/money/etc/etc...so you can see my surprise when she said to go down to the lhs, pick one up, wrap it, and put it under the tree! Now for a question...I would love to run lipos but that's a little out of my price range at the moment. Do you suggest the 7 cell over the 6 cell? Is the added performance (how much exacly) worth the extra $$$ compared to a 6 cell? What NiMh packs are you guys running in your VXLs?
I know Maxamps seems to be popular...anyone using these... http://www.maxamps.com/proddetail.ph...l-Hump&cat=75# ?
Thanks guys.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:43 PM
j.m.

Default RE: Wife sees the light...

those are okay, but with a high power brushless system if your gonna run nihm, then you need either gp's or ib's. You can get the gp3300 packs at radio shack for $25 each (6cell)

The advantage of a 7th cell should be obvious. More voltage.

This will obviously make more power, and if your charger can handle it, one of these will be perfect:

http://www.maxamps.com/proddetail.ph...latHump&cat=13
Old 12-03-2007, 04:39 PM
Eman77

Another option besides MaxAmps is cheapbatterypacks.com. They custom build pretty solid stuff (I had an IB4200 6 cell saddle pack made by them). I like them.

I hear the Elite cells there perform well and seem durable so far, that's a good sign. The Elite 4000s are a reasonable price too (priced out to $40 from that site for a side by side 6 cell NiMh Elite 4000 setup, with 12 awg, deans plugs, shrink wrapped, and "upgrade" selected on that site).

I don't own a VXL though. I have a Novak SS5800 and Mamba 5700. As much as those Elite's seem nice, to be honest my Radio Shack $25 stick pack of GP3300s I got run great in my TC with the Mamba 5700. Quite a value.

What is my point...? Hmm.

Err, anyway - I like 7 cells over 6 when your chassis has room and your ESC can take it. It's not that much more $$ (esp compared to what your electronics cost anyway), so go for it. If it's a pack you'll share with other vehicles that might have a 6 cell limit though, stick with 6.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:58 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

My wife took years to support me. She didn't understand at all why I paid so much or spent time with these things. Years later she knows that it makes me happy and it's one of my only vices in this busy, busy life (3 kids, wife, FT career, FT school).

A few hours or even a few minutes at the bench working on these cars squares me right up and helps me clear my head.

Glad your wife saw the light.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:01 PM
ajb1205

I just found these packs on A Main... http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/18688 ...seems like a great price. I went onto Trinity's website and the msrp is saying $95...just a good deal or not a good pack?

Old 12-04-2007, 06:15 PM
ajb1205

ORIGINAL: j.m.

those are okay, but with a high power brushless system if your gonna run nihm, then you need either gp's or ib's. You can get the gp3300 packs at radio shack for $25 each (6cell)

The advantage of a 7th cell should be obvious. More voltage.

This will obviously make more power, and if your charger can handle it, one of these will be perfect:

http://www.maxamps.com/proddetail.ph...latHump&cat=13
I have the MRC Super Brain 960...will it work with all of these packs?