Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

battery capacity?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 09:47 PM
cork44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery capacity?

Alright, I did a search and I can't find the answer so i would appreciated some help. Is there something that I can hook up to my battery to tell how many mah is left in it? My charger tells me how many mah it took to peak, but I would like to be able to see at any time how much capacity is left. Thanks
Old 12-05-2007, 11:01 PM
hands without shadows

Default RE: battery capacity?

You can only calculate how much went in, how much went out, and by adding or subtracting these how much you have left. A voltmeter will give you a rough idea of how full your battery is.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:05 AM
NjBasher

+1 on the voltmeter also known as a multi meter because it can measure more than just volts.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:10 PM
cork44

How can i tell how much ran out? I have a voltmeter, it just reads volts, I want to know how much capacity is left. Is there anything that does this?
Old 12-07-2007, 02:24 AM
d16z6

You can't tell with just a volt meter... those guys don't know what they are talking about. Even on discharged packs you will be ~7.2v or ~1.2xx per cell.

You need to plug this inline with your system to measure mah to get a ball park figure.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXLMV0&P=ML

Also you'll lose some energy to internal resistance a.k.a. heat. So the more heat you build the more energy losses (inefficiencies).
Old 12-07-2007, 07:35 PM
cork44

Thanks D,

THAT is what I've been looking for!
Old 12-07-2007, 07:45 PM
cork44

Will this also work?

http://www.redrockethobbies.com/E_Fl..._p/efla110.htm
Old 12-08-2007, 10:45 PM
nikg

I got a killer deal on a Turbo 30 charger that came with NIMH packs and a soldering iron. The charger is not the newest piece of equipment, but it is much better than my stock charger that came with the e-savage. Best of all, I can discharge and cycle my packs with it to get an idea of their health. If I were you, I would get a decent charger/discharger. The previous two products seem to do a whole lot of things including finding mah, but a charger with a discharger might be another option.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:52 PM
hands without shadows

ORIGINAL: d16z6
You can't tell with just a volt meter... those guys don't know what they are talking about. Even on discharged packs you will be ~7.2v or ~1.2xx per cell.
I said "A voltmeter will give you a rough idea of how full your battery is." Last time I check a fully discharged 6 cell pack is somewhere around 6 volts and a freshly peaked pack is somewhere around 8.5 volts. I didn't say it would read out the mah left or anything like that, just give you a rough estimation.