Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

what should i do if i get the mamba max

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 07:24 PM
traxxas4ever

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what should i do if i get the mamba max

i want the 7700kv mamba max for my xl-5 rustler. i really dont know what to upgrade as far as parts go.
I have everything stock. Do i need to change any thing such as the gears, ballbearings, heat sink and other aluminum parts. that would normally wear out fast or wont work at all with the added torque.

I am kinda tight on money so i would like to know what i ABSOLUTLY need. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:29 PM
brushlessboy16

Default RE: what should i do if i get the mamba max

Bearing carriers-http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNY89&P=M
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNY90&P=M
Bearings- http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXD125&P=ML
A-Arms- http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPRE9&P=0
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPUP7&P=M

U definatley need a lower kv motor, or you will end up overheating the mm
Old 12-06-2007, 07:32 PM
Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: traxxas4ever

i want the 7700kv mamba max for my xl-5 rustler. i really dont know what to upgrade as far as parts go.
I have everything stock. Do i need to change any thing such as the gears, ballbearings, heat sink and other aluminum parts. that would normally wear out fast or wont work at all with the added torque.

I am kinda tight on money so i would like to know what i ABSOLUTLY need. Any help would be appreciated.
yes there a few things you should change. it would be nice if you told us what batteries you were running. if your planning on running some high cell setup, you will need more stuff. but for the standard person you should get an aluminum idler, rpm bumper, rpm gear cover. thats all you really need. people say you should get bearing carriers/bearings but honestly i'm still using the stock ones with my vxl stampede. just rember, don't upgrade it unless it's broken.

brushlessboy-since he is on a buget, he really doesn't need the a-arms. sure, they are nice, but he doesn't need them.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:46 PM
PedeBeater

With that much power you might want to get all steel gears. Because if you just get the aluminum idler then you will start stripping your diff, and it is not a good idea to put an aluminum idler in with a steel diff.[:'(]
Old 12-06-2007, 08:00 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

steel gears would be the most important. even if your only going to use 6-8 cell batteries the tranny will have alot more power to deal with than with a stock motor
Old 12-06-2007, 08:40 PM
hands without shadows

ORIGINAL: brushlessboy16
U definatley need a lower kv motor, or you will end up overheating the mm
Realy? I don't hear of too many problems running the 7700kv in heavier vehicles like the Rustler or Stampede.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:42 PM
PedeBeater

I run the 6900 in my pede. Gets kinda hot, no problems with a heatsinkt though. I would guess with the higher kv it might get to the limit.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:09 PM
Slo-V Flyer

I would recommend against the 7700 also, unless you have a light weight setup i.e. street tires, and lighter lipo battery. I run a 5700 and it is hard enough to keep cool on 6-cell Nimh and 15/84 with normal truck tires (Gladiators 2.2") and still keep the speeds above stock....

I will recommend you get the RPM bearings carriers and 5x11 Duratrax bearings ($1 something for each bb, it's a good budget deal) for your axles. The XL-5 comes with bushings and those WILL wear the axles from the friction, especially at higher speeds, which not only is a reduction in efficiency, but the wear will cause play in the axles/bushings and vibration eventually (I know how that went....)...
Old 12-07-2007, 12:54 AM
hemiblas

All I did was change the Idler gear to aluminum and it runs great with no broken parts. I went through 3 idler gears before I figured it out though. Doh.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:55 AM
traxxas4ever

wow thanks for the help. But i was wondering if i got a heat sink, would that keep the 7700kv motor temp down enough for me to run my 8.4v batteries in the rustler.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:56 AM
traxxas4ever

what motor were you using.