Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

looking at 4wd trucks, opinions suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 06:28 PM
tashspop
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking at 4wd trucks, opinions suggestions

i'm looking for something to get a dad for christmas. i really wanted to get him an e savage, but i wanted my brother to help with the cost and it doesn't look like he can, although thats still in the air. he'll let me know by tomorrow. other than that, i'm thinking cheap. to me the redcat's look pretty interesting. as far as cheaper rtr's, are there any other suggestions. he's pretty simple, as long as it works and will do yard duty, and chase the dogs well. he isn't into upgrading much either. i don't need any suggestions for an emaxx or the new emaxx. i know everything about those and have one myself.

thanks in advance for your help.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:30 PM
hemiblas

Default RE: looking at 4wd trucks, opinions suggestions

Hpi came out with the sport version thats $265. Wheelie King might be good too around 200.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:52 PM
Mekong

wheelie king couldnt even chase down a over weight basset hound, its VERY slow

as for 4wd truck theres two options emaxx or esavage...
Old 12-07-2007, 07:23 PM
83gt

ORIGINAL: Mekong

Do you spend much time reading ? You got alot of posts to throw out a comment like that. The wheelie king has tons of potential. As a matter of fact, wheelie king took the top speed trophy at a recent event. 78mph (i think it was) from a wheelie king. Pretty impressive IMO.

The cool thing about the WK, is you can go the crawler route, the scale route, or the speed route. Lot's of potential for each. Since you're looking for something fast and capable out of the box, then e-savage or e-maxx is probably where it's at. The Redcat's are ok for cheaper. The local hobby shop here has had good luck with them.

J.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:36 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

for a wheely king to chase a dog youd need a good 19-20turn motor.
heres a good vid of a stock wheely king
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-xOwf2o2cQ
not super fast, but it looks great. i hope to get one with my tax return.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:17 PM
tashspop

yeah, i thought about the wheelie king for about 2 seconds. it is slow and my dad isn't into upgrading, or atleast my mom doesn't allow him to spend money on it, and rc isn't that important to him to fight it.

83gt, i see what you are saying, but like i said it won't fit what i'm looking for, and not to turn this into a debate, but that 78mph record was hardly a wheelie king anymore. pretty much a full custom ride.

there hasn't been any discussion about my redcat interest. here's a link to the one i was thinking about. http://www.redcatracing.com/itemdeta...no=VOLCANO-EPX

it looks nice for the price. here is a topless pic

Old 12-08-2007, 12:58 PM
The Mad Modder

It looks like a pretty good truck.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:39 PM
Mekong

83gt...

Calm down child!!!

apparently you dont spend much time reading!

He said "he isn't into upgrading much either." so the thought of a 78mph wheelie king in stock form is retarded.

Think about it...

ORIGINAL: 83gt

ORIGINAL: Mekong

Do you spend much time reading ? You got alot of posts to throw out a comment like that. The wheelie king has tons of potential. As a matter of fact, wheelie king took the top speed trophy at a recent event. 78mph (i think it was) from a wheelie king. Pretty impressive IMO.

The cool thing about the WK, is you can go the crawler route, the scale route, or the speed route. Lot's of potential for each. Since you're looking for something fast and capable out of the box, then e-savage or e-maxx is probably where it's at. The Redcat's are ok for cheaper. The local hobby shop here has had good luck with them.

J.

That redcat looks great, but I havent seen many hobby shops carry anything redcat so replacing parts might be a pain
Old 12-08-2007, 07:12 PM
pede_187

Hobbytown USA is starting to carry parts/cars
Old 12-08-2007, 08:45 PM
tashspop

man that would be great, except the hobby town close to me just shut down a few months back. i'm not surprised though, their service and the feel of the place just wasn't any good. the staff just didn't really seem into the stuff they sold.

i guess another option would be to look at a stadium truck and deal with the 2wd and some proline mashers or something that would overcome the lack of 4wd better. the duratrax evader exl or what ever its called is only like $119, and would probably have a better esc.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:53 PM
tashspop

here is another one i found that looks interesting. i'm sure their are a few here that have heard or seen these. its a mad truck speedy monster truck. it has aluminum chassie, and what looks like larger tires.

heres an ebay link, they are all over ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-1-10-Electri...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 12-08-2007, 10:26 PM
nikg

You might want to consider a Cross Tiger/HBX/Bonzer (same vehicle is called different things). I was looking at the Redcat Volcano EPX myself and posted to see if anybody had feedback on it. The general way the thread went was that the HBX was a better truck. Personally, I think the Redcat looks better and of higher quality, but sometimes looks can be deceiving. The people who own their HBX's really seem to like them. There is a whole thread devoted to it here. (HBX..Who else owns one?) That Mad truck looks good, but I think people have said there is littel parts support. The HBX has some parts and apparently you can swap about 95% of the truck with Tamiya parts. I got my HBX for $85 including shipping. It is for my son for Christmas, and I actually just got it today. Looks decent. I intend on charging the batteries and testing it out so there are no disappointments on Dec. 25th.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:31 PM
hands without shadows

ORIGINAL: nikg
I intend on charging the batteries and testing it out so there are no disappointments on Dec. 25th.
Mhmm Whatever helps you sleep at night
Old 12-08-2007, 10:34 PM
pede_187

I have no idea what that eBay car is, so I wouldn't get it.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:37 PM
tashspop

actually, the hbx is very different looking and about 1/2 the price from what i've seen. i breifly looked at the hbx thread, and something that stood out was it being over geared and difficult to change. maybe i'm confusing something else i read. for lawn duties, the last thing i want is to get something over geared. let me know how the test run seems on your sons xmas present.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:25 AM
redraze

tashspop the redcat and the exceed cars and trucks are the same cars when you get the electric versions, on the redcat page there are so many parts for these MT's and they are cheap cheap. the only problem is the battery... they are junky nicd 1800mah 3 minute paperweights...lol you should get your dad a better battery if you get him this MT.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:34 AM
83gt

LOL, yeah, sorry about that. it was too late and too many beers later :|

I didn't mean to come off sounding like a horses rear. I just threw the comment about the uber fast wheelie king out there so you could see the possibilities.

I think you're on the right track,

HBX Bonzer
Redcat Volcano

Have you thought about a Pede ?

You're right about the bonzer, it's based on Tamiya TL-01, which was over-geared in the Tamiya Stadium Raider release. Add the much larger tires of the Bonzer and you can have some serious heat issues from the motor. Gearing choices are very limited too.

There's always the twin motor tamiya trucks, double blaze or twin detonator perhaps ? That'd be good for lawn duty.

J.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:30 AM
j.m.

4wd buggy with ST tires on it. Not hard at all. Infact, i've already done it with my academy sb pro.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:29 PM
tashspop

ORIGINAL: j.m.

4wd buggy with ST tires on it. Not hard at all. Infact, i've already done it with my academy sb pro.

this has indeed crossed my mind, only two problems. one my dad likes monster trucks. two the cost would put me right close to affording an e savage sport.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:39 PM
uncle everett

the Redcat battery will literally get you 100ft of run time. I have 2 exceed dynamites. ran the first it went 10 feet. Ran the 2nd it went 100ft. You have to have an additional battery if you purchase this!

livlrge
Old 12-09-2007, 09:58 PM
tashspop

what did you think about it with a better battery, if you had a chance to run with one yet?
Old 02-18-2008, 04:38 PM
Snowboarder dude

Get an hbx i got one and like it!!