Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Quieting the Stampede/Rusty/Bandit

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 06:38 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quieting the Stampede/Rusty/Bandit

Is it me, or are these Traxxas vehicles (that all share the same gearbox and basic transmission components) very loud compared to other vehicles on the market? Believe it or not, neighbors have given me dirty looks for running even the Pede on stock Titan.

For example, my belt drive Cyclone is whisper quiet, but this is because belt drive is inherently quiet. But even my old Xcellerator was quieter compared to the Pede.

How can we rectify it?
Old 12-07-2007, 06:40 PM
fatkidjoey

Default RE: Quieting the Stampede/Rusty/Bandit

ORIGINAL: Yub, yub, cmdr!
Believe it or not, neighbors have given me dirty looks for running even the Pede on stock Titan.
get a nitro and see how they like it then
Old 12-07-2007, 06:50 PM
Mekong

Its probably not the noise they are mad about, its that they think your gonna tear up their lawns and planters with the truck and hit their car lol
Old 12-07-2007, 07:14 PM
Always Dreamin

My stampede is louder then my t4. that might be because of the loud brushless system though.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:16 PM
DriftingDragon

heres what you do... dont use it

lol just kidding
Old 12-07-2007, 09:52 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

I own a nitro buggy that I do not drive in the driveway. Furthermore, they are not afraid of me tearing up their lawns. It's just that it's loud. Is there any way to quiet it down?
Old 12-07-2007, 10:00 PM
hands without shadows

Pack the tranny full of grease and make sure your mesh is set properly.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:07 PM
Slo-V Flyer

More likely than not it's your spur pinion mesh, and it's usually louder when the pinion is really small compared to the spur, like 15/90 or 12/90.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:49 PM
MM5700PEDE

The next time your uptight wienie ass neighbors say anything, look them square in the eyes and ask them if they have a problem. Flip 'em off if they give you any lip. If you run YOUR truck in YOUR driveway, then it's none of their nosy ass business! I hate stupid people.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:55 PM
ohgrfreak

lol, your neighbors aren't forced to watch and listen to you with your rustler, unless you are holding a gun to their head, which i hope isn't the case at all.

but whatever, some vehicles are louder than others, that's it. sure, a proper mesh will quiet it down if that is in fact the case, but then again, you can only get it so quiet.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:23 PM
Slo-V Flyer

ORIGINAL: MM5700PEDE

The next time your uptight wienie ass neighbors say anything, look them square in the eyes and ask them if they have a problem. Flip 'em off if they give you any lip. If you run YOUR truck in YOUR driveway, then it's none of their nosy ass business! I hate stupid people.
It's sophomoric attitude like that which gets people into more trouble or ruins the fun for others. No need to be vulgar about it. Just let your neighbors know that if they have a problem with it, their lawn mower is louder and is annoying too the whole hour they might run it (I know my neighborhood is annoying in summer), but you don't say anything about that to them (hopefully) so they should give you some slack and let you run your R/C for 15 minutes out of the entire day. If not, then just do the right thing and try to run your R/C further down the street or someplace else.

I notice that at a certain distance standing directly behind my Bandit, the whine of the gears and brushless motor gets almost ear piercingly loud at full speed. However whenever I'm indoors and my bro is running the buggy right outside on the street, it is no where near as loud as my Nitro Hawk with it's Stinger pipe (which is LOUD ).

I think your neighbors just need to lighten up or find other more useful things to complain about, like the high price of gas and the ridiculous amount of money we spend on electricity bills.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:21 AM
gemroz

My neighbors enjoy watching me run my nitro, one neighbor brings his toddler son out so he can watch it. The other neighbor said it sounded like i was playing with a duck call from inside his house (quaaaaaaack quaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack quaaaaaaack) lol. I guess its just the luck of the draw on what kind of neighbors you have. If your brave enough let them drive it for a minute or 2 and TADAAA, they're addicted to rc just like you. lol
Old 12-08-2007, 01:10 AM
MM5700PEDE

Yeah, I guess I agree with you Slo-V. I just get tired of hearing about stories like this. To the original poster... Don't worry about it unless they say something about it. Dirty looks from neighbors never hurt anybody.[:@]
Old 12-08-2007, 05:23 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

I'll try packing it up with grease.

Have you all noticed how there is a rather nasty, elliptical gap on the bottom of the tranny case before the screws are wholly tightened?
Old 12-10-2007, 03:12 PM
MM5700PEDE

[b]Yep, I've noticed it. If you put the lower screws on the tranny case where the diff case is located first, then put the other top three screws in around the idler, it works better that way. Mine had a small gap in it until I figured that out.