Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

battery problems? whats going on?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 11:48 PM
jonnymobil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery problems? whats going on?

hey guys i have theese batterys i have been using with really good luck untill a day or so ago.now they seem to have no power at all.if they do get my stamp running the power seems to come back as the revs get higher but still nothing like it was.and theese are fresh charged batteries.i have a peak charger that i charge em at 4 amps on and they are 3800 mah batteries.what could i be doing wrong?could something be wrong with my speed controll.i noticed that when i test them for voltage they read full charged but when the lad is applyied the voltage drops drasticly?what did i do wrong?the batteries have only been used probly 15 to 20 times max!and i allways let them cool before i charge them or use them?i got them about a month ago and i use them probly 4 to 5 times a week.once a day,maybe 2wice a day on saturday.did i do something wrong?i just recently changed to a 15 turn double modified motor from orion.it is at the limit of what the XL5 speed controll will handle.let me know whats up guys,let me know how to best care for my batteries,they were not cheap.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:52 AM
SavageX78

Default RE: battery problems? whats going on?

How many runs on the motor? Maybe your brushes are worn down or you comm is dirty.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:57 AM
jonnymobil

that is a possibilty but i put em in my friends and they dont work either,then i pop in some different batteries and it flies again?
Old 12-08-2007, 01:24 AM
Jeckler
My Feedback: (2)

Do you discharge them too, or just run 'em until the truck slows down?
Old 12-08-2007, 01:36 AM
jonnymobil

i just run till the trucks slow down or i have to leave.i was told nimh have no memmory effect.i usually charge them at about a 1c rate.(1 hour charge)they are 3500 and 3800mah nimh 7 and 8 cell packs.they usually run good,some of them still do but about half of them just up and quit on me and they have all been doing verry good every time i used them for the last month since i got them.all of them seemed to run the same before?
Old 12-08-2007, 01:40 AM
jonnymobil

is there anny battery mantinence i should be doing?like once i a while give em some typee of slow charge or some type or cycle?
Old 12-08-2007, 12:59 PM
redraze

What kind of batteries are they? It might be possible one of the cells in the pack is dieing. when i have a suspect pack i find out which cell or all cells are bad by chargeing them one cell at a time and looking at the capacity, it's a good indicator.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:52 PM
Jeckler

I charge my nimh's at around 5 amps on AC power, 5.5 or 6 if I'm on the car battery or in a hurry. 1c is too low, IMO.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:55 PM
pede_187

6A!!! That's high. You can hurt the batts like that. What mAh are they? In order to properly charge a NIMH battery at 6A, the battery needs to be 6000mAh!
Old 12-08-2007, 04:08 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life
My Feedback: (34)

ORIGINAL: pede_kid

6A!!! That's high. You can hurt the batts like that. What mAh are they? In order to properly charge a NIMH battery at 6A, the battery needs to be 6000mAh!
Not really. People were charging at 5a back when 3300's were popular. Granted it may reduce the lifetime, but it's not like it'll kill your batteries in a few charges. Pros probably get new batts every race, but they step charger and at some points charge up to 8 amps with 4200mah batts.

Your problems sound like a dead cell. It happens, sometimes luck of the draw, sometimes bad batteries, sometimes improper care etc. What kind of batteries are they?
Old 12-08-2007, 06:31 PM
Jeckler

I've always charged my packs at 2-3c, even 4 year old 1500mah Nicd's. The only batts I charge at 1c or less is the rx pack in my LST2.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:04 PM
RMPROB

could it possibly be his charger too? I am fairly new but it was just one of my Ideas.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:50 AM
jonnymobil

well all my packs are 3500 and 3800 mah and they are stick and hump packs. so i really cant test each cell.could it be my chargers?can you mess up batteries by charging nimh on a nicd charger?and what is bttery mcare annyway?how do i do matinence and how d i test them on a multimeter,i have one but i only know how to read the voltage which says good but there is something going on.i dont think i have a dead cell in terms of voltage because my packs still chargge till arround 1.40 to 1.45 volts each.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:48 AM
jonnymobil

also i noticed that if i let my charger do the peaking and let it run till it is "full" the packs are verry hot.i mean almost as hotas they are just after a race!but when i charge them on my intellipeak charger they peak at a much less tempurature?whats up with that?could it be that my black widow cant handle the 3800mah?or maybe they are made for nicd?i have 2 blackwidow's and 1 blackwidow pro and on the pro there is a button to select from nicd or nimh.should this be the only charger i should be using besides my intelipeak?are some chargers only good for nicd and not nimh?i heard that you can charge nimh on nicd chargers but y have to stop them your self because they wont terminate on there own?that could explane the excessive heat after they are done.i charge them at 4 amps or 2 amps if i have time.right now i am cycling my 8 cell on my intelipeak at 1 amp.should cycle 2wice over night.also if i have 3800mahbatteries and i charge the at 4 amps shouldnt it take an hour to charge a spent battery?why does my charger only take 30 minutes to charge a battery?it has allways been this way even when my batteries were new and it still takes the same time to charge my good batteries as it takes to charge the ones that have been acting up lately.why does my charger charge in half the time as it should.i mean i know my batteries aint know 200mah.thay last way too long for that and put out way to manny amps.whats going on folks.how do you all charge your batteries?what is the proper way to charge and discharge my 3500 and 3800 7 and 8 cell packs?and how do i perform proper battery mantinence?
Old 12-09-2007, 03:08 PM
paintstikker

I had the same problem recently; I was using a 3300 Mah pack. I charge it at 4 amps usually, but anyway I noticed a drop in power.

Of course after that I sent to throw the pack on the charger, but the charger (Triton2) read 50.71V and then promptly stopped charging, with no warning beep or anything to say there was something wrong. The only time it's done that before was with another battery that had a faulty plug, but the charger read it as an open circuit. I took apart the pack and found a dead cell, even though the pack read 7.28V. This confuses the charger and mine just stops all charging functions with the dead cell, although if you have a regular peak like the Intellipeak Pulse, then it'll probably still charge though not correctly or have no change at all.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:03 AM
jonnymobil

o.k. so how do i fix it if that is the problem?is there anny way to tell if there is a bad cell?