Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Rustler XL-5

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 07:47 PM
Viteck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rustler XL-5

I had my rustler for about two months.. I didn't drive it for about two-three weeks. After I recharged my IB4200 battery, motor doesn't run anymore. Is there any reasons why this is happening?. Servo is still good when I turn left and right. XL-5 setup is correct because when i full throttle, esc is still green. Not sure but I'm a little upset with the car right now. Any suggestions will make me very happy... Thanks all...
Old 12-08-2007, 08:06 PM
Always Dreamin

Default RE: Rustler XL-5

Your titan is probbibly toast[:'(]. Thats how mine went down[&o]
Old 12-08-2007, 08:08 PM
pede_187

Are you sure the batt is fully charged. Before the 2 week period, did you half way/full charge the battery to store it?
Old 12-08-2007, 10:05 PM
Viteck

Your titan is probbibly toast . Thats how mine went down
Thats not good, I know it couldn't have blown yet. Its only been 3 months. [&o]

Are you sure the batt is fully charged. Before the 2 week period, did you half way/full charge the battery to store it?
Battery is fully charged. I can turn left and right using steering servo, but doesn't go when I press trigger (both directions). I might have to contact Traxxas and ask them about it.

Any suggestions?
Old 12-08-2007, 10:22 PM
ridgewalker

What kind of connectors are on the battery?Make sure they are making good contact.Mine (stampede) has done that before.I ran through reprograming the radio to the rec.and that solved it once.Once it was my deans connector at the battery and once it was the connector from the motor to the esc.I also unpluged the crystals and pluged them in just to make sure.If you have a volt meter check to see if you have voltage at the motor when you give it throtle.Hope this can help.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:46 PM
Viteck

ORIGINAL: ridgewalker

What kind of connectors are on the battery?Make sure they are making good contact.Mine (stampede) has done that before.I ran through reprograming the radio to the rec.and that solved it once.Once it was my deans connector at the battery and once it was the connector from the motor to the esc.I also unpluged the crystals and pluged them in just to make sure.If you have a volt meter check to see if you have voltage at the motor when you give it throtle.Hope this can help.

Well, I did what I could. Nothing works. My steering servo is making some noise when I hold it at a turn. No voltage is showing when i do press trigger on motor side. I might have the local shop guy check it out. If worse comes to worse, I'll install the vxl system w/ a new servo. [:@]

Edit, there was voltage going through the traxxas connections...just none out of motor.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:00 AM
SubaruSti

iy the steering works, but you have no voltage at the motor, it is either the connection at the motor, the wire between the esc and motor, or the esc. If it is all stock, check the connections at the motor, but more than likely the esc died. BTW, a vxl will fix wil fix whatever the problem is. You don't seem to need a servo.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:27 AM
Viteck

ORIGINAL: SubaruSti

iy the steering works, but you have no voltage at the motor, it is either the connection at the motor, the wire between the esc and motor, or the esc. If it is all stock, check the connections at the motor, but more than likely the esc died. BTW, a vxl will fix wil fix whatever the problem is. You don't seem to need a servo.
Thanks for the input. If i do end up getting a servo. It will be as an upgrade. otherwise, i gotta get the car running. I just hope it doesn't cost an arm and leg to buy the vxl system. Will update if i do get the car running again.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:42 AM
ChuckDeez

the vxl brushless system is only $170. if you can wait for a coupon from towerhobbies, you could possibly get it for $145 shipped.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:05 AM
ludeman

I bet its just your motor the Titan is known to burn out quickly, best to try another first as it is cheap to replace. Remember the Rustler VXL has steel transmission gears the Rustler XL-5 does not. If you go with the Velineon system you will soon strip out your tranny and that will cost a lot more down the road.

The Rustler VXL’s Magnum 272 transmission is assembled with new all metal gear internals. Don't be fooled the XL-5 Magnum 272 tranny does not have steel internals!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83292.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	821789  
Old 12-09-2007, 07:35 AM
dirt101

dont worry the rustler will handle it.

I have put over 1600watts through mine and it held up, and it has gone through mamba 5700, and 7700 abuse pretty much every day of its life. All you need is a steel idler gear and your good to go.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:17 AM
Slo-V Flyer

Wow. In that picture above, does anyone else see the poor quality of the teeth spacing on that steel diff ring gear? I would like to say it's the lighting angle, but look closer it is not.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:13 PM
RC_Basher20
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Always Dreamin

Your titan is probbibly toast[:'(]. Thats how mine went down[&o]
same here ran ok then 1 time suddenly stoped working
Old 12-09-2007, 04:35 PM
Viteck

ORIGINAL: ludeman

I bet its just your motor the Titan is known to burn out quickly, best to try another first as it is cheap to replace. Remember the Rustler VXL has steel transmission gears the Rustler XL-5 does not. If you go with the Velineon system you will soon strip out your tranny and that will cost a lot more down the road.

The Rustler VXL’s Magnum 272 transmission is assembled with new all metal gear internals. Don't be fooled the XL-5 Magnum 272 tranny does not have steel internals!

Steel internals? Where can I find that?.... Today, my wife bought me the VXL system and I'm charging my battery as I type and wait for recharge. I am thinking the motor went bad, but that doesn't matter now because I got VXL already. Any suggestions on where to get the new transmission?

I have put over 1600watts through mine and it held up, and it has gone through mamba 5700, and 7700 abuse pretty much every day of its life. All you need is a steel idler gear and your good to go.

Can you point me to tower hobbies steel idler?....I am planning to get another battery and I should fix my transmission before it goes bad.

Thanks all.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:39 PM
hands without shadows

ORIGINAL: Slo-V Flyer

Wow. In that picture above, does anyone else see the poor quality of the teeth spacing on that steel diff ring gear? I would like to say it's the lighting angle, but look closer it is not.
Wow, that is really sad. I wonder what their tolerance is, and how often they do a quality check.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:41 PM
Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: Viteck

ORIGINAL: ludeman

Steel internals? Where can I find that?.... Today, my wife bought me the VXL system and I'm charging my battery as I type and wait for recharge. I am thinking the motor went bad, but that doesn't matter now because I got VXL already. Any suggestions on where to get the new transmission?

Can you point me to tower hobbies steel idler?....I am planning to get another battery and I should fix my transmission before it goes bad.

Thanks all.
you should be able to get the new transmision parts off tower. this would include steel, diff, idler, and top gear. i personally don't think you need all of those, because all i run is the idler. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXSGZ3&P=ML there is the steel idler.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:05 PM
Viteck

I am going to go with the idler only for now. I will buy it and add another battery to order. Will need some spare parts as well and a new body.

As for the VXL System, its a battery drainer. As for speed, its very quick. Since I can't control the rustler with the 12T motor, I can barely control it w/ the VXL motor. I can't really compare it to mamba or anything else because i never had anything else. I felt this is the best way to go for me. Using IB4200 6Cell battery felt like it gave me about 15-20 minutes run-time. My bro-in-law w/ his E-Maxx nitro kept going and going, refill after refill. Nitro system seems fun but is way too loud. Hopefully my transmission won't fail on me. Will let you guys know..

Just wondering, If I use a 6C IB4200 and buy a 7C battery pack, will this effect the motor/esc??

Also, I have the SMC IB4200, Anyone recommend a different brand? Trinity? Venom 5000? Let me know before I order...
Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:24 PM
Always Dreamin

I am going to go with the idler only for now. I will buy it and add another battery to order. Will need some spare parts as well and a new body.

As for the VXL System, its a battery drainer. As for speed, its very quick. Since I can't control the rustler with the 12T motor, I can barely control it w/ the VXL motor. I can't really compare it to mamba or anything else because i never had anything else. I felt this is the best way to go for me. Using IB4200 6Cell battery felt like it gave me about 15-20 minutes run-time. My bro-in-law w/ his E-Maxx nitro kept going and going, refill after refill. Nitro system seems fun but is way too loud. Hopefully my transmission won't fail on me. Will let you guys know..

Just wondering, If I use a 6C IB4200 and buy a 7C battery pack, will this effect the motor/esc??

Also, I have the SMC IB4200, Anyone recommend a different brand? Trinity? Venom 5000? Let me know before I order...
Thanks for everyone's input.
i don't think the vxl is a battery drainer. i think i got the same runtime if not more geared 19/86. just to let you know, the e-maxx is electric. i think your reffering to the t-maxx. nitro is a pain and i'm glad i didn't go that rout. i am perfectly satisfied with my vxl. Smc is a great brand. i would go with ep cells though. not venoms! the 7c will not really hurt your motor/esc. it will make it run hotter and it will go faster.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:16 AM
Viteck

any someone give me a link to towerhobbies 7C pack. I ran across the traxxas 6C pack which is pretty i am probably going to go that route.

Always Dreamin, tmax is the right thing..

Adjustments were made to my VXL ESC for turning th low volt detection off. States it needed to be turned off for NiCD/NiMH batteries. I will need to buy some pins for the car as well because of steering issues. (ran into some steel stairs at business complex)

Will upgrade gearing when i can control the car. Any suggestions on a better steering servo?

Thanks All for advance advices....
Old 12-10-2007, 11:55 AM
Viteck

Wondering if this was a good steering servo. Thanks

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFKZ7
Old 12-10-2007, 04:57 PM
Viteck

any someone give me a link to towerhobbies 7C pack. I ran across the traxxas 6C pack which is pretty i am probably going to go that route.

Always Dreamin, tmax is the right thing..

Adjustments were made to my VXL ESC for turning th low volt detection off. States it needed to be turned off for NiCD/NiMH batteries. I will need to buy some pins for the car as well because of steering issues. (ran into some steel stairs at business complex)

Will upgrade gearing when i can control the car. Any suggestions on a better steering servo?

Thanks All for advance advices....
Old 12-10-2007, 07:44 PM
Always Dreamin

thats a good servo, but i would go with traxxas high torque
Old 12-10-2007, 08:38 PM
Viteck

Which one?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXF84&P=ML : this is in my car and its making noises.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXSGT8&P=ML : i am looking at this one too

I heard digital was better, is that true too?

Old 12-10-2007, 08:56 PM
Always Dreamin

Which one?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXF84&P=ML : this is in my car and its making noises.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXSGT8&P=ML : i am looking at this one too

I heard digital was better, is that true too?

all servo's will make noise when in use. sort of a wining noise. the second one you linked to is the better one, but both will work fine.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:57 PM
scheibler

get the steel main differential gear. I only got the steel idler when I got my vxl and have now stripped the main diff gear that I decided not to replace when I did the idler. Its no fun goin back into the tranny for the second time when all you have to do is spend $6

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.