Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Rustler VXL ESC Dead

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 09:03 PM
warren52nz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rustler VXL ESC Dead

My new Traxxas Rustler VXL Brushless with 3S (11.1 volt) 5,000 ma-Hr LiPo blew its ESC after not much racing up and down paved roads. Maybe half an hour total with about 5 minutes per run followed by a re-charge. So a pretty easy life. Cartwheels and bang ups of course but that's gonna happen with something as insane as this!!!

One day it started to stutter then stopped and the ESC had a "Low Voltage Cutout" alarm. The ESC was very hot and the motor just hot(ish).

To cut a longer story short, it turned out to be the ESC. Replaced under warrantee so no big deal. I'm heartened that I can't find any other reports of blown ESC's so I guess it was just a rare dud. I didn't do anything stupid like trying to push heavy objects, etc.

One thing occurs to me. To show my friends that it wasn't only capable of STUPID speeds but it could also crawl around the kitchen at ultra slow speeds. I wonder if that caused the problem because I tried it twice and both times it threw an under voltage cutout after about 10 seconds of slow going. Maybe this extreme racer doesn't like crawling around.

Any ideas? Yeah I know.... "Don't go really slow". I mean anything useful.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:06 PM
Takedown
My Feedback: (23)

Default RE: Rustler VXL ESC Dead

ORIGINAL: warren52nz

My new Traxxas Rustler VXL Brushless with 3S (11.1 volt) 5,000 ma-Hr LiPo blew its ESC after not much racing up and down paved roads. Maybe half an hour total with about 5 minutes per run followed by a re-charge. So a pretty easy life. Cartwheels and bang ups of course but that's gonna happen with something as insane as this!!!

One day it started to stutter then stopped and the ESC had a "Low Voltage Cutout" alarm. The ESC was very hot and the motor just hot(ish).

To cut a longer story short, it turned out to be the ESC. Replaced under warrantee so no big deal. I'm heartened that I can't find any other reports of blown ESC's so I guess it was just a rare dud. I didn't do anything stupid like trying to push heavy objects, etc.

One thing occurs to me. To show my friends that it wasn't only capable of STUPID speeds but it could also crawl around the kitchen at ultra slow speeds. I wonder if that caused the problem because I tried it twice and both times it threw and under voltage cutout after about 10 seconds of slow going. Maybe this extreme racer doesn't like crawling around.

Any ideas? Yeah I know.... "Don't go really slow". I mean anything useful.
I just sent mine in about a week in a half ago for reprograming. The sensor post just isnt working for some reason... I want to be able to run a VXL ESC with a Novak Velocity 5.5r and a 3s lipo. It might be insanely stupid but Im willing to take the risk for some fun. And besides its all the stuff I bought and didnt receive so I feel ashamed when I do break something.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:48 AM
tashspop
My Feedback: (1)

i'm afraid my brothers may be having some issues. i did a complete ext flm conversion and got it finished up xmas eve. for some reason reverse has all power, but forward bearly goes at all. it takes forever to build any speed which totals out to be about 1/4 of what it used to be. also noticed the power seemed to be pulsed if you can picture that. like two wires are getting full power to the motor and one is there for the ride. kind of and on off triger effect. i don't suspect a loose wire since reverse has plenty of power and is smooth. i'm afraid some of the foward fets went out or something. i'll try to mess with it more and reprograme it before i really start pointing fingers. it worked fine before i started the build and there is no binding issues what so ever.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:02 PM
Slo-V Flyer

Running really slow should not make it kick into low-voltage mode. However, I'm thinking it is something that my Mamba ESC does at very slow speeds. I mean slow enough to barely make the motor turn over and make my truck move, sometimes it will stop if I keep the throttle low for several seconds, but then it works just fine if I stop and do it again, or go fast or whatever.

Maybe the VXL esc is hit by yet another Traxxas curse?
Old 12-26-2007, 11:14 PM
Access

If you are running it sensorless, you shouldn't be crawling. I had some strange things happen to me when I was trying to use it to crawl around with the stock motor. It would cog like crazy at super-slow speeds and after repeated cogging, the ESC would just shut down (rotor locked detection or something like that). I'd get a blinking red light and that was it.