Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Stock rustler XL-5 Gear???

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 09:59 PM
unidot888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock rustler XL-5 Gear???

I am in the process of ordering a rustler xl-5 and I have seen some things that people are saying that normally you should have a pinion gear 2 teeth smaller then the motor. Since the rustler comes with an 18t pinion gear is that bad should I get a 13t or sothing smaller. And if so how does that affect my speed and preformance??? Any information as I am new to the hobby will raelly help me out thnk you
Old 01-06-2008, 10:08 PM
Always Dreamin

Default RE: Stock rustler XL-5 Gear???

ORIGINAL: unidot888

I am in the process of ordering a rustler xl-5 and I have seen some things that people are saying that normally you should have a pinion gear 2 teeth smaller then the motor. Since the rustler comes with an 18t pinion gear is that bad should I get a 13t or sothing smaller. And if so how does that affect my speed and preformance??? Any information as I am new to the hobby will raelly help me out thnk you
The rustler comes with a 23t pinion. If it did come with a 18t pinion a few teeth less would be 16, I don't know where you got 13t. Order a 19t pinion and you will be ready to go. The stock Titan is 12 turn so that would be a 10t pinion (way to small). I don't know about that rule........
Old 01-06-2008, 10:12 PM
Slo-V Flyer

ORIGINAL: Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: unidot888

The rustler comes with a 23t pinion. If it did come with a 18t pinion a few teeth less would be 16, I don't know where you got 13t. Order a 19t pinion and you will be ready to go. The stock Titan is 12 turn so that would be a 10t pinion (way to small). I don't know about that rule........

No, the XL-5 comes with a Titan 12T 550 size motor so the rule does NOT work with it. Just keep the stock gearing that the XL-5's motor comes with because that is the right size for that particular motor. THe Titan 550 has more torque than a standard 540 sized motor, that is why it uses a 23t pinion and so on.

BUT when you do switch to a regular 540 sized motor, then the 2-teeth rule does help get you around the ball park gearing.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:25 PM
unidot888

ok thank you for the information
Old 01-06-2008, 10:28 PM
Always Dreamin

No, the XL-5 comes with a Titan 12T 550 size motor so the rule does NOT work with it. Just keep the stock gearing that the XL-5's motor comes with because that is the right size for that particular motor.
I know thats what Traxxas reccomends for the motor, but people have been having bad luck with them. Gearing down helps them last longer.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:36 PM
banzaij
My Feedback: (1)

Yep, I think they tend to gear toward getting more MPH. The Stampede XL-5 came with a 19 installed and a 23 to hit their advertised top speed. I dropped down to a 17 on it and gave it much more low end punch (easier wheelies and better acceleration). I'd guess you could take the Rustler down to to something between 19 and 21 depending on your preference and you'd be happy + extend the life of your motor. I'm still on the original Titan at 11 months of occastional, but hard use.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:36 PM
Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: banzaij

Yep, I think they tend to gear toward getting more MPH. The Stampede XL-5 came with a 19 installed and a 23 to hit their advertised top speed. I dropped down to a 17 on it and gave it much more low end punch (easier wheelies and better acceleration). I'd guess you could take the Rustler down to to something between 19 and 21 depending on your preference and you'd be happy + extend the life of your motor. I'm still on the original Titan at 11 months of occastional, but hard use.
Exactly what I've been telling people. They need to be geared down and they will last longer. I think Traxxas really wanted to be able to say 35+. It is a big step for a brushed RTR.