Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc
View Poll Results: A poll
Tamiya DF-03
16.67%
Tamiya Durga
54.17%
Kyosho ZX-5
29.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

4wd Buggy Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 09:02 PM
rymansl2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4wd Buggy Suggestions?

I probably won't be getting a kit until the summer, but I kinda want to get an idea of what I'm gonna be looking for.

I should have gotten one from the start of my hobby level rc career, but I knew nothing about any of my options when I first bought my Evader EXT. Soooo I eventually want to build one. The 4wd buggies seem to appeal to me the most. I don't know anything about them (other than some very helpful things I was told about some of the tamiya kits).

I want to know what everyone's opinions on these cars are, and which one you suggest.

I'm leaning towards the Losi XXX-4 G+ mainly because it has the room for a 7 cell flat pack (which I just spent $50 on and would like to be able to use it in my buggy) and because I wouldn't have to break apart my 7 cell to make a saddle pack ( [:'(] ). I also am going to use my 4600kv mamba max system, so let me know if your suggestion is tolerant of brushless power.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:17 PM
Takedown
My Feedback: (23)

Default RE: 4wd Buggy Suggestions?

Definately go for the 501x. Its the best 4wd buggy made right now IMO.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:34 PM
rymansl2

Is there any downsides to belt driven vs shaft driven?

To me it would seem the belts would wear out and would slip under brushless power.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:36 PM
Takedown

The belt driven r/c's will be more efficient and will ussually run alot smoother. Belts only need to be replaced every so often. Not alot...
Old 02-08-2008, 10:39 PM
cheech4

the 501 x is great but expensive 500$. and also is the B44 and thats 300+ but the durga is a budgeted version of the 501x that was my pick and at 219$ its a good pick. and it being a budget version lots of upgrades from the 501 will be available...
Old 02-08-2008, 10:42 PM
rymansl2

ORIGINAL: Takedown

The belt driven r/c's will be more efficient and will ussually run alot smoother. Belts only need to be replaced every so often. Not alot...
Ok cool. That means I dont have to take the belt driven ones off my list

ORIGINAL: cheech4

the 501 x is great but expensive 500$. and also is the B44 and thats 300+ but the durga is a budgeted version of the 501x that was my pick and at 219$ its a good pick. and it being a budget version lots of upgrades from the 501 will be available...
Yea it is expensive, but when you think about the cost of all that cf/aluminum its really not overly expensive. I looked around and there really isn't many upgrades for the durga. Is that because its fairly new?
Old 02-08-2008, 10:43 PM
Takedown

ORIGINAL: rymansl2

ORIGINAL: Takedown

Ok cool. That means I dont have to take the belt driven ones off my list

Yea it is expensive, but when you think about the cost of all that cf/aluminum its really not overly expensive. I looked around and there really isn't many upgrades for the durga. Is that because its fairly new?

The durga and the 501x are both fairly new.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:20 PM
zjwhitrock

what are you going to be using it for??
Old 02-08-2008, 11:20 PM
rymansl2

Idk if I should get an expensive kit such as the 501x if its my first time. I don't want to screw up on something that pricey and sexy. I love that carbon fiber and blue aluminum chassis, but that would make me afraid to even use it at all, haha. So maybe for my first I should just get something under $400 and not completely carbon fiber.

Thoughts?
Old 02-08-2008, 11:21 PM
rymansl2

ORIGINAL: zjwhitrock

Probably most of the time i'd just be messing around near my house or in my yard. I might try racing in the future, but idk if the tracks near me have the setup for 4wd buggies.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:26 PM
cheech4

Probably most of the time i'd just be messing around near my house or in my yard. I might try racing in the future, but idk if the tracks near me have the setup for 4wd buggies.
more of a reason for you to buy a durga
Old 02-08-2008, 11:31 PM
rymansl2

lol, whys that. Cause its has the capabilities to race, yet it plastic so I can bash it?
Old 02-08-2008, 11:44 PM
cheech4

lol, whys that. Cause its has the capabilities to race, yet it plastic so I can bash it?
exactly, and its not as expensive as the other cars in the bunch. plus from what you said messing it around and trying to race in the future, it would be better for you to get a worthy car and practice with it and at the same time not spend a boat load on it.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:30 AM
rymansl2

Alrighty, I have 2 opinions so far and 9 votes. So wheres the other 7 opinions

I want to know WHY you suggest the buggy you voted for. Thats the whole point of the thread.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:57 AM
Phelansa

I voted for the DF03. Not because I think it is the best of the buggies on the list. But simply because it is such good value for money and it deserves at least one vote.

Just a thought? But do yeah really think that it is worth spending more than $200 on a buggy you are just going to bash with? All the cars you list are brilliant!! But surely a bit of overkill for your application? Most of the buggies you list are full on racing spec machines? I would love any one of them!

I think you should first set yourself a budget, then narrow down your list from there?
Old 02-09-2008, 10:41 AM
rymansl2

ORIGINAL: Phelansa

I voted for the DF03. Not because I think it is the best of the buggies on the list. But simply because it is such good value for money and it deserves at least one vote.

Just a thought? But do yeah really think that it is worth spending more than $200 on a buggy you are just going to bash with? All the cars you list are brilliant!! But surely a bit of overkill for your application? Most of the buggies you list are full on racing spec machines? I would love any one of them!

I think you should first set yourself a budget, then narrow down your list from there?
I agree with what your saying, but I don't want to spend money on a kit that may let me down in the future (as in it won't perform how I would want it to). I don't know if I'm going to race or not. I'm going to try to, but I don't know my track options around here. The review of the DF-03 by oople sounds like its takes alot of hopups for it to be race worthy, especially the shocks.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:05 AM
MT

I agree with the above, I would say stay away from the high end racing buggies for bashing. They are all great cars, but they are not made for bashing, they are made for smoother tracks, and most are not as durable as a basher type car. I have xxx4, the only reason I have run it in my back yard, is to test or becasue I needed to get a few drive for a winter break. The xxx4 is low and gets hung up easly, flips over big bumps at high speed, etc. At half the cost, a monster truck would smoke my xxx4 in the back yard, and probably not break near as much.
Buy a track car for the track, or a backyard basher for the backyard.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:01 PM
Phelansa

The review of the DF-03 by oople sounds like its takes alot of hopups for it to be race worthy, especially the shocks.

You will need a slipper and decent shocks. Add that to the cost of the DF03 kit and you are still under $200. You will still be able to run it as a club racer with ease!

Kit = $120
Damper set = $50
Slipper Set = $25

Slightly less than the DB01, but then you will need to drop about $25 on the Slipper for the Durga as well. That leaves you somewhere around $250.

I would honestly not spend much more than that on a basher!! Look the cars you list are all brilliant! But unless you race you will not notice a thing different between those cars.

Worst of all, unless you have run a high end 4x4 buggy you cannot begin to appreciate the level of traction or road holding these cars offer. And with the Mamba you plan to run in this car? Even the DF03 will be beyond what your capabilities are as a driver for a good while, that is not to even mention the high end vehicles you list here!! Please do not think that I am being disparaging about your abilities. But run one of these buggies and you will understand totally what I am saying.

Add to that the cost of breaking parts on something like the xxx4 or the AE? And believe me, you bash.... you break stuff!!!! I personally think you are on a hiding to nothing here.

Old 02-09-2008, 02:23 PM
The Hedgehog

I voted Durga for the reasons Cheech mentioned. The 501X is overkill for messing around your house
Old 02-09-2008, 02:33 PM
Phelansa

Has anybody here actually run a decent BL system in the Durga? I am dying to know how the belts hold up! I am pretty keen on getting one myself.... but... I replace enough belts on my RS4 as it is.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:04 PM
mattnin

If you are not going to race, then get the Durga.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:19 PM
cheech4

the durga is a budget 501x its a capable racer.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:05 PM
rymansl2

ORIGINAL: Phelansa

The review of the DF-03 by oople sounds like its takes alot of hopups for it to be race worthy, especially the shocks.

You will need a slipper and decent shocks. Add that to the cost of the DF03 kit and you are still under $200. You will still be able to run it as a club racer with ease!

Kit = $120
Damper set = $50
Slipper Set = $25

Slightly less than the DB01, but then you will need to drop about $25 on the Slipper for the Durga as well. That leaves you somewhere around $250.

I would honestly not spend much more than that on a basher!! Look the cars you list are all brilliant! But unless you race you will not notice a thing different between those cars.

Worst of all, unless you have run a high end 4x4 buggy you cannot begin to appreciate the level of traction or road holding these cars offer. And with the Mamba you plan to run in this car? Even the DF03 will be beyond what your capabilities are as a driver for a good while, that is not to even mention the high end vehicles you list here!! Please do not think that I am being disparaging about your abilities. But run one of these buggies and you will understand totally what I am saying.

Add to that the cost of breaking parts on something like the xxx4 or the AE? And believe me, you bash.... you break stuff!!!! I personally think you are on a hiding to nothing here.

lol, every time I look to buy something hardcore you talk me into getting something less hardcore. But you make so much sense!

I probably wouldn't notice a difference between buggies while racing. Plus if I did start racing I wouldn't exactly know anything about what I was doing so having a high end racer wouldn't be good. For breakages and such... I know your not putting down my abilities, lol. Its all good.

I can definately take anything over $400 off my list then. And probably even the $300 and up ones. Now to decide between the others....

It'll now be between: the DF-03, Durga, ZX-5, and XXX-4
Old 02-09-2008, 11:04 PM
rymansl2

Well scratch the xxx-4. It sounds like it breaks too much from the reviews I've read. Plus its $100 more than the rest of my listed options. Would have been nice to fit a 7 cell battery in it though...[]

Out of whats left, my favorite is the Kyosho. Plus it already comes with a slipper clutch so I won't have to wait on that to come in the mail seperately. And from the reviews of it, it sounds like a capable racer. Plus it has some color to the kit (blue shocks and other bits) unlike the tamiya kits.

And yes I like nice looking rc cars as you can tell
Old 02-09-2008, 11:15 PM
cheech4

Well scratch the xxx-4. It sounds like it breaks too much from the reviews I've read. Plus its $100 more than the rest of my listed options. Would have been nice to fit a 7 cell battery in it though...[]

Out of whats left, my favorite is the Kyosho. Plus it already comes with a slipper clutch so I won't have to wait on that to come in the mail seperately. And from the reviews of it, it sounds like a capable racer. Plus it has some color to the kit (blue shocks and other bits) unlike the tamiya kits.

And yes I like nice looking rc cars as you can tell
the kyosho is a great buggy and also a capable racer. BUT the only problem you will have with them is parts support. not that they dont have any but its a little harder then the rest of the bunch.. but it is a great buggy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.