Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Who has the Best Brushless System?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 05:48 PM
brusselburg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has the Best Brushless System?

I wan't to start a poll on who thinks has the best Brushless Systems. Mamba Max, Novak, or Associated LRP system. Also you may list any other brand that you like that I may have not mentioned. If you like one over the other let me know why please. I am really having a hard time making up my mind on what system to go with and I can't seem to find many reviews out there that compare the different systems.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:11 PM
Krawlin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Who has the Best Brushless System?

Caslte Creations' Mamba Max systems, THE best systems out there, period. The most advanced technology out there right now, as you can program many parameters on your computer, and you can always update the firmware, meaning you can use the speed control for years with the most up to date software. Also, for a complete system of speed control and motor, it will only run you about $212, which for the amount of technology in the system, it is a REALLY good deal. And Castle Creations' customer support is some of the best around. Go with a Mamba Max system, and you wont be disappointed. I run a Mamba Max 6900 in my XXX-T, and when running on pavement with a 6 cell 4600 mAh Ni-MH pack, it will wheely once it gets the traction, and it will wheely when moving.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:16 PM
Rebeldude
My Feedback: (5)

You should have just put it to a vote. You are going to hear good and bad about all systems. Just like the one previous, a very happy Mamba owner. I myself am a Novak fan. Ran Novak systems for years and they just don't break. They are also very race worthy. Just my 2 cents. Let the war begin... LOL
Old 02-25-2008, 06:18 PM
sloppyG

look at stuff from novak (GTB), and the LRP (sphere TC)

those are top line brushless esc's and they're about $200 each

a good sensored motor from novak/lrp/orion is about $80ish

the mamba is popular because it's cheap, and has been out a long time
I have a mamba, and it's good, but not nearly as smooth as my LRP sphere tc

budget about $280 for a high end combo

the mamba combo sells for $182 or so all the time if you know where to look too
Old 02-25-2008, 06:34 PM
noobierunner

I have the mamba max and the vxl, i love them both, if i had to buy just one it would probably be the mamba, the ability to program it on the computer is awesome and its so much faster than the xvl with the same amount of cells.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:08 PM
rschoi_75

You should also specify whether were talking about the esc or motors.

I like the MM esc over the others for its price, features, and durablity. I have 4 of them and they have all been run very hard. Two are in 1/8th scales and running 5s lipos. Castle makes very high quality esc's that can actually perform beyond spec if an external bec is used.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:33 PM
cheech4

castle creations mamba line has my vote.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:33 PM
Checkpointracer

I think O.S. makes the best nit...Oh sorry you're talking about brushless. I like novak since I'm a race guy.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:40 PM
rymansl2

If your looking for a wide range of options then the mamba line is the best. If your looking for the best performance and ease of use for your money then the vxl has it.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:24 PM
brusselburg

So is Mamba the only one that has the feature to alow you to connect it to a PC? What can you do to it once you connect it? What type of parameters can you program in?
Old 02-25-2008, 10:56 PM
Krawlin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: brusselburg

So is Mamba the only one that has the feature to alow you to connect it to a PC? What can you do to it once you connect it? What type of parameters can you program in?

As far as I know, Castle Creations' speed controls (Including the Mamba Max) and I think 1 of Tekin's (Not a brushless Tekin ESC though) speed controls are so far the ONLY ones that you can connect to a computer. So if you want a speed control that is always up to date and always has top notch software and will basically always be new, go for the Mamba Max. No other company besides Castle and Tekin have the PC connection interface, and all of the other companies are way behind as far as the tech and tuning IMHO.
Here are the parameters--

-Brake/Reverse Type (Lockout and such)
-Brake Amount
-Reverse Throttle
-Punch Control
-Drag Brake
-Start Power
-Motor Timing
-Motor Type (You can run brushed on the Mamba Max too)
-Arming Time
-Cutoff voltage for Lipo's
-Throttle Dead Band

-A fully adjustable throttle curve with interpolation options. You can make it whatever shap you want basically. I prefer the throttle curve to be more of a "j" shape for what I do.
-A fully adjustable brake and reverse curve with interpolation options.

-And fully updateable firmware/software. Having the updateable firmware/software allows for a constantly better speed control, with the updates including new parameters at almost every update version, and the same speed control can last you for years and be top of the line if you continue to update it.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:02 PM
cheech4

ORIGINAL: Jolly Roger Pirate

Here are the parameters--

-Brake/Reverse Type (Lockout and such)
-Brake Amount
-Reverse Throttle
-Punch Control
-Drag Brake
-Start Power
-Motor Timing
-Motor Type (You can run brushed on the Mamba Max too)
-Arming Time
-Cutoff voltage for Lipo's
-Throttle Dead Band

-A fully adjustable throttle curve with interpolation options. You can make it whatever shap you want basically. I prefer the throttle curve to be more of a "j" shape for what I do.
-A fully adjustable brake and reverse curve with interpolation options.

-And fully updateable firmware/software. Having the updateable firmware/software allows for a constantly better speed control, with the updates including new parameters at almost every update version, and the same speed control can last you for years and be top of the line if you continue to update it.
yep thats why i got 3 of them, lol
Old 02-25-2008, 11:04 PM
VXL ENCHILADA

Basically the mamba max is the best for its programming abilities.. the VXL has less programming options, therefore making it easier to use. Overall, the system you buy depends on your application. Companies like Novak are better for racing applications. Mamba Max, VXL, and many others, are more for bashing and better to be used if thats all you do.

N.rustlerfreak
Old 02-26-2008, 12:15 PM
brusselburg

I used to race mayself years ago...like 12 years ago. I am just getting back into the hobby. I used to use Novak when I raced and always loved them. However with todays technology it looks as if the programming parameters would make the Mamba a better choice even for raceing since you can control the throttle curve etc. If Novak does not have the programming capabilities then what makes it superior over the Mamba? Does the Novak have less resistance on the electronics so therefore a Novak ESC runs longer and more efficiently? If that is the case does anyone have proof of that? Maybe the Mamba ESC is superior but the Novak Motors are better than the Mamba motors?? Just guessing. Comments please.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:58 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

ORIGINAL: N.rustlerfreak

Basically the mamba max is the best for its programming abilities.. the VXL has less programming options, therefore making it easier to use. Overall, the system you buy depends on your application. Companies like Novak are better for racing applications. Mamba Max, VXL, and many others, are more for bashing and better to be used if thats all you do.

N.rustlerfreak

I wouldn't say the VXL ESC is easier to use just because it has less capabilities. Not all the parameters need to be messed with on the Mamba.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:05 PM
rymansl2

ORIGINAL: ptgarcia

ORIGINAL: N.rustlerfreak

N.rustlerfreak

I wouldn't say the VXL ESC is easier to use just because it has less capabilities. Not all the parameters need to be messed with on the Mamba.
I think he means the fact that you can basically take it out of the package and throw it on your car without having to do anything to it. It only has 2 tuning options. Thats ease of use in my book.

I'm still personally a sucker for being able to tune my motor. Throttle curves ftw!
Old 02-26-2008, 01:08 PM
sloppyG

another positive on the VXL vs the mamba

you can go from lipo voltage cutoff mode to nimh mode without having to hook up to a computer
same thing on my lrp sphere esc

and the mamba will work fine if you just throw it from the box into your truck
Old 02-26-2008, 01:10 PM
rymansl2

ORIGINAL: sloppyG

another positive on the VXL vs the mamba

you can go from lipo voltage cutoff mode to nimh mode without having to hook up to a computer
same thing on my lrp sphere esc

and the mamba will work fine if you just throw it from the box into your truck
Yea this is true. You CAN do the voltage cutoff without a computer, but I wouldn't recommend it .
Old 02-26-2008, 01:16 PM
happywing

I used to race mayself years ago...like 12 years ago. I am just getting back into the hobby. I used to use Novak when I raced and always loved them. However with todays technology it looks as if the programming parameters would make the Mamba a better choice even for raceing since you can control the throttle curve etc. If Novak does not have the programming capabilities then what makes it superior over the Mamba? Does the Novak have less resistance on the electronics so therefore a Novak ESC runs longer and more efficiently? If that is the case does anyone have proof of that? Maybe the Mamba ESC is superior but the Novak Motors are better than the Mamba motors?? Just guessing. Comments please.
Great comments/questions. A month or so ago, I would have said you must use Novak or LRP for the smoothness of sensored technology. With the latest firmware upgrade from Castle, that is no longer the case. I now think the MM controller is superior for racing. The only thing that makes the Novak superior is how they handle ROAR legal sensored motors. If ROAR rules aren't followed at your local track (and I don't know any that follow ROAR), I think the MM is the better choice.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:18 PM
happywing

If anyone here is having trouble configuring their MM, maybe you should consider another hobby. ALL the controllers are easy to use. It shouldn't even be a consideration.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:24 PM
rymansl2

ORIGINAL: happywing

If anyone here is having trouble configuring their MM, maybe you should consider another hobby. ALL the controllers are easy to use. It shouldn't even be a consideration.
Nobody said it was difficult. We just said its got more options than the vxl. Therefore the vxl takes less time. Which = easier. Its not hard to plug a usb cord into your computer and click a few drop down menus....
Old 02-26-2008, 01:27 PM
snellemin

Novak offers both crappy and topend motors. Castle creations just offers OK motors, since they are not a motor manufacturer . Novak ESC are built for racing, crawling and some bashing, but mostly run on "low voltages". In the current market Novak ESC's just cost too much for limited features. A cheapo chinese made sensored esc can do more then the Novak. At one time Novak use to be the "One" when there were only hackers, Qaurks, MGM, Jeti and Aveox to compete with. But now they just have to step up and create something brandnew at a reasonable price just to stay on top of the cheaper and better systems that are flooding the market.
Castle creations on the other hand produces more advance ESC's and their Car ESC can hang with the best that cost more then 2x.

For my purpose, Novak systems don't even come close to my needs. But that doesn't mean they are bad systems either....just overpriced. The mamba ESC offers everything I need, but the motors don't. So I have around 10 different motors for racing with the mamba ESC.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:36 PM
brusselburg

That was what I sort of figured. The Mamba ESC are top notch and can compete with Novak (You are paying a premium for the name) but the motors aren't as good as the Novak motors. Thanks for all the replies on this. I do have one concern about the Mamba....Is it true you have to connect the PC to the ESC if you switch to and from LiPo to NiMH? If so that sucks because I plan run both. That would be a pain to have to carry a laptop with me when I go bashing.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:41 PM
snellemin

ORIGINAL: rymansl2

ORIGINAL: happywing

Nobody said it was difficult. We just said its got more options than the vxl. Therefore the vxl takes less time. Which = easier. Its not hard to plug a usb cord into your computer and click a few drop down menus....

There are people that say that a good radio can do what the mamba ESC does, on every other ESC. What they don't tell you, is how much such a radio cost. Not everybody cares for or has the money to purchase such a radio. So instead you get the affordable Mamba ESC and be done with it. Pickup your cheapo AM radio and have fun. You want less wheelspin, just reduce punch control. You want to go faster and don't have a bigger pinion...increase the timing. You want to save your lipos...setup the lipo cutoff. You want a different throttle behavior, change the curve. You want less wipeouts during breaking, decrease the brake power. It goes on and on. No need for an expensive radio.

I personally just got a "better" radio. The only thing I use on it, is the throttle EPA(so my son can play too) and steering EPA. Everything else is done through the Mamba software.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:42 PM
justinep

Mamba is definetly leading the pack in the brushless esc world. I am not a huge fan of their motors but, I have nothing for respect for their esc. I do however think it depends on what your intended brushless set-up is. MGM makes an amazing esc that can handle more power than the MM... doesn't make it better, just designed for different purposes IMO. I haven't heard a complaint about MM yet. Though I do hate switching the low-volt cut-off through the computer.. it's the one design I really like about the Velineon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.