Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

rustie vxl esc overheating issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 10:31 PM
ekimusman2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rustie vxl esc overheating issues

i'm having thermal shutdown issues with my vxl rustler on my 3s 5400mah lipo

are these too powerful for the esc/motor?
Old 03-17-2008, 10:38 PM
passinuby

Default RE: rustie vxl esc overheating issues

I'm not sure what is going on with mine as well sometimes. What is your car doing when you have this "thermal shutdown" to make you recognize it? How did you recognize this problem? I'm running an 11.1V, 4000mAH, Venom Lipo and my brushless rustler was acting funny today. I know I had a little juice left but the ESC shut down and flashed red. Then the car had less power. It would still run and I know there was battery life left. Is this what your's is doing?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10422.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	906374  
Old 03-17-2008, 11:04 PM
orangewhip

You have to gear it down, there is a chart you can use in the manual. However I cut out my windshield to get better airflow and may get the fan to keep it nice and cool.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:16 AM
doskie

if you're using lipo's don't you have to gear it up???
the stock gearing may be your issue since it's under geared...
Old 03-18-2008, 06:11 AM
ekimusman2

with lipos you should gear it up. i geared it up to 28/53. was workin fine with a 2 cell lipo, but right when i started to run the 3s, the esc started to heat up FAST[X(]
Old 03-18-2008, 08:44 AM
passinuby

Has any one reset their "Throttle Profile?" (Sport Mode, Race Mode, or Training Mode) Does this have anything to do with the esc overheating? This link will explain how to get to each mode. What mode does the car come stock in?

http://www.traxxas.com/products/video/support/

Name:	Om34513.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	906659  
Old 03-18-2008, 11:08 AM
mrbonez

ORIGINAL: ekimusman2

with lipos you should gear it up. i geared it up to 28/53. was workin fine with a 2 cell lipo, but right when i started to run the 3s, the esc started to heat up FAST[X(]
28/53 ?? i thought the smallest spur you could get was a 76 toothe whats up with that ? try have you tried the usuall stuff make sure wheels are spinning free when motor is not hooked up make sure tranny isnt binding up, make sure all your motors leads are pluged in right .
Old 03-18-2008, 01:19 PM
passinuby

Yea I looked it up and these cars come stock with the ESC profile in "Sport Mode"

I will definately check my motor leads and yes it is spinning freely with holding up the car.

Lately with a fresh battery and a newly adjusted spur and pinion the truck acts like the transmission is in a bind when I dump the throttle. It doesn't have the power take offs anymore. I went back with the same size spur and pinion and adjusted it according to the support videos and everything else seems fine. Just when I dump the throttle it acts like something is binding and it won't take off like normal. Any suggestions? Motor? Transmission? I don't know where else to look...

How will I recognize Transmission problems? Will it slowly go out or all the sudden?

Thanks for all the help guys!!!

Name:	Fd90660.jpg
Views:	39
ID:	906877  
Old 03-18-2008, 01:36 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When running a 3s lipo you need to set your gearing at 31/76 or you could have problems with the ESC overheating. Make sure you don't have the pinion tight against the spur gear.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:43 PM
mrbonez

what is your gearing ? my esc and motor get alittle hot when geared to short 23/83 on a bandit with 2.2 wheels and it will get warm after about 8 minutes of running like dragon stated check the mesh of the pinion to the spur gear make sure it's not to tight
Old 03-18-2008, 04:22 PM
passinuby

Thanks for the help guys.

I'm running the stock teeth right now (25/83) but I'm going to put on a 28 pinion and see what that does with my 3 cell lipo. It turns out the ESC was not over heating, I had my slipper clutch too loose. I tightened it all the way up and backed it out about 1/4 of a turn. What is your slipper adjusted to?

Has anyone added any weights to the front of their unit to keep it down? My bottom end is just ridiculously touchy.

Name:	Ax72858.jpg
Views:	34
ID:	906985  
Old 11-07-2010, 02:07 PM
Link119
My Feedback: (1)

Dont cut the windsheild. Ebay has pleanty of cheap fans for computers that are much less than $10. Get a fan.