Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

YAY! got a sidewinder 4600 today!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 03:42 PM
walkingcarpet900

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: YAY! got a sidewinder 4600 today!

grab some servo tape
MUCH better

find it at your LHS
or online
Old 03-26-2008, 03:52 PM
Redvanmafia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Castle once again kills it, they got a killer systems and the Customer serivce to back it all up
Old 03-26-2008, 07:16 PM
Trimmy
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Mean Green

Double sided tape is fine for mounting the ESC. I recommend going to an auto parts store and getting the 3M brand double sided tape that is used for mounting moldings, bug deflectors, etc. It is used OEM by automotive manufacturers for many badges, and holds up VERY well. It's about $5 for 5 feet.

As far as gear selection goes, go to http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...ring_chart.pdf , it is the breakdown of recommended gearing for motor/ESC/battery combinations.

If you get a good 7 cell and get in broken in.... I hope you enjoy wheelies. I've got a Sidewinder/5700 in my Rustler and it is a fun little machine.

What 7 cell battery are you running?
Old 03-27-2008, 10:28 PM
MahnkenVille

okay, got it all ready. here's what i ended up doing...

-Traxxas Hi-current connectors (rated for 70 amp, or so i've heard..and it's what the lhs had.)
-Losi IB4600 6-cell NIMH battery, the guy says it'll do great in my system. (don't worry, i'll get lipo eventually, but there's $5 in my wallet right now)
-kept the stock pinion gear and spur, i'll play around with it for a little while before changing the gearing, but i'll get new gears and find a "sweet spot" of gearing in a month or sooner probably.

I have the prophet sport charger, and i want to know what charge rate (1 amp, 2 amp, 4 amp) to charge the batt at for the first time to get a nice full charge? and how do i break in the motor/battery?

turns out my hex wrench was stripped, so i'm out of one. is there a way to tighten that pinion gear without the wrench? (ha, stupid question, i'm sure )
Old 03-27-2008, 11:49 PM
ah-see

Maybe you could find a short phillips screw at a hardware store to use as the screw for the pinion gear. I rounded off my hex tool and i was pretty annoyed because its hard to find such small hex tools, and they pretty much all come in large sets as well. Anyone have any experience with this?
Old 03-28-2008, 02:38 PM
MahnkenVille

Turns out a bottle/can opener on my little multi-tool works with that hex size perfectly (cause it goes in and grabs a side.). I've got it mounted, just need a little double sided/servo tape and i'm waiting for that battery to charge. The battery seems to hit with the front grooves in the battery holder, but i can just file that down. I'm charging on the 2-amp setting. I'll get pics in a little while.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:56 PM
MahnkenVille

OH MY GOD.

I will never EVER go back to brushed motors EVER again! This thing is at the full speed of my last setup when i'm only at 1/4-1/2 throttle! I barely do full throttle cause it's so powerful that I skid out on pavement (need street tires.) But i took it to a parking lot, did about 45 mph before i ran out of straightaway and hit the snowbank, flying 10 feet into a fence (and I didn't even break anything!)

On a sadder, but still amazing note...I basically destroyed some parts of my left-front-end because I was going WAY too fast on little traction with the wrong tires. Basically, 45mph + Light pole + fire hydrant = car out of commission for awhile. I'm rigging it to work with superglue and duct-tape, the 2 most important adhesives in the world . At least until I get the replacements (*cough cough* upgrades *cough cough* )

I'll have a vid when i'm up and running, without a doubt.

oh and by the way, Losi IB4600's are amazing. If you're considering them, buy them!
Old 03-29-2008, 09:08 PM
lee172

ORIGINAL: MahnkenVille

I believe the sidewinder ESC can be run with the VXL motor... here's a quote from the manual...

"Brushless: Other manufacturers: Motors must have Kv same or lower than ours and the motor must be ran within motor manufacturer's specs."

so i think it would work.

quick questions...theres no mounting bracket or anything for it, should i just use some good double-sided tape and put it over the old ESC's mounting bracket?

And since i'm upgrading the pinion gear anyway, and i really just wanna get this thing mounted at least...can i just pop the old pinion gear off with pliers or something (I think the grub screw is stripped or something, nothing's working to get it out with the hex wrench.)

thanks.
here's my tip for getting stubborn pinions off...

get a nail thats smaller in diameter than the pinion gear hole, then put the pinion in a vice (tight) then use a hammer to hit the nail through the pinion, connecting with the rotor of the motor, it should work loose after a few hits.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:43 PM
MahnkenVille

thanks, i got a new wrench but i'll keep that in mind.

turns out the duct tape suspension-to-chassis thing didn't work, so we drilled a few holes and used small zipties to get the the front suspension arms back on. then more zipties to get the steering turnbuckle to go back onto the part of the servo that broke.

quick little question..cause this is my first major crash where things actually broke
i'm looking up the parts i broke on A Main hobbies, and there's the blue/red turnbuckles and the stock ones, traxxas part 3139, but they're different sizes (62mm for stock and 59mm for upgraded). Will this make a difference at all?

i would have pics, but my camera's at family's house and not here...but i'll have some soon.