Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official DB-01 Durga Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 08:55 AM
Lanzo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official DB-01 Durga Thread

Hey Guys,

Quick question. I have just bought the aluminium 3 racing diff halves. Do I just glue the stock diff plate washers to the Aluminium diff halves exactly like you do with the stock plastic halves?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 08-14-2009, 10:41 AM
malice23

No you dont glue anything to any diff...U merely place the metal plate onto the diff half and then screw it to the other. The metal plates have that cut out in the middle where the diff half goes through and holds the plate in place without the need for gluing. Even on the plastic one I never used glue. The force of the screw is what holds the diff halves together.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:04 PM
dimblum

ORIGINAL: Tilux

Outdoors, there is 1 indoors at about 1 and half hour by car.
Try 35W for the front and 30W for the rear if you are using the Tamiya TRF aerated shocks. By default you can try the soft Tamiya soft Red springs all around (that come with the aerated shocks). Tighter springs (Tamiya Yellow or Blue) can be used for more smooth surfaces.. It is always best to experiment with spring stiffness and tension until it feels good on the track.. If needed, tighter springs can be run in the front if you need a little more distance when jumping.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:33 PM
Tilux

ORIGINAL: dimblum

Try 35W for the front and 30W for the rear if you are using the Tamiya TRF aerated shocks. By default you can try the soft Tamiya soft Red springs all around (that come with the aerated shocks). Tighter springs (Tamiya Yellow or Blue) can be used for more smooth surfaces.. It is always best to experiment with spring stiffness and tension until it feels good on the track.. If needed, tighter springs can be run in the front if you need a little more distance when jumping.
Thanks! but the shock come with the white spring. (Soft?) Probably will use the red one.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:10 PM
The Collector1
My Feedback: (2)

Theres a red dot on the spring, thats how you can tell the tension on them, the TRF springs are white
Old 08-14-2009, 04:29 PM
malice23

Dimblum...Atomic Carbon towers are on their way to me soon....cant wait to use those. Dreading taking off all those limiter now lol. I also ordered a new clutch and 2 new spurs to see if maybe that layshaft was bent but still waiting on those too...My durga has been out of comission for waay to long...Totally restless and I wanna go out and race sooo bad![:@]
Old 08-14-2009, 04:56 PM
dimblum

Thanks! but the shock come with the white spring. (Soft?) Probably will use the red one.
The Collector is right.. There is a small colored Dot on the top of each spring. Red=soft, Yellow=Medium, Blue=Hard
Old 08-14-2009, 10:20 PM
Lanzo

malice23 -> RE: Official DB-01 Durga Thread (8/14/2009 4:41 PM)

No you dont glue anything to any diff...U merely place the metal plate onto the diff half and then screw it to the other. The metal plates have that cut out in the middle where the diff half goes through and holds the plate in place without the need for gluing. Even on the plastic one I never used glue. The force of the screw is what holds the diff halves together.
so you really do not use any glue between the 3 racing diff half and the diff plate? With the stock halves the manual says to use some rubber cement to secure the diff plate to the diff half. Once when the glue broke once my diff did not work at all as expected. As soon as I re glued the plate to the half it was solved.

I am not doubting you but I can't see how the diff will work properly without a dab of glue. I will give it a try though. Does anyone else not use glue/cement on the diff plate to secure it to the diff half?

Cheers Mike
Old 08-15-2009, 01:09 AM
dimblum

ORIGINAL: Lanzo

malice23 -> RE: Official DB-01 Durga Thread (8/14/2009 4:41 PM)

so you really do not use any glue between the 3 racing diff half and the diff plate? With the stock halves the manual says to use some rubber cement to secure the diff plate to the diff half. Once when the glue broke once my diff did not work at all as expected. As soon as I re glued the plate to the half it was solved.

I am not doubting you but I can't see how the diff will work properly without a dab of glue. I will give it a try though. Does anyone else not use glue/cement on the diff plate to secure it to the diff half?

Cheers Mike
The 3Racing or Tamiya aluminum diff halves should have a thin coat of 'diff grease' between the metal diff part and the diff ring.. Diff grease should only be used between the ring for the -aluminum- parts only.. Don't worry, the aluminum parts will not slide once the diff is assembled.

The kit plastic parts still need a layer of glue to work effectively.. The plastic parts do have a tendency to slide and rub against one another which is why the glue is recommended when using those parts..

Hope this helps.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:33 PM
traxxasfanatic

Got a question for any one who races their DB01. Is there a way to get the center pullies to last longer than 3-4 race days?
Old 08-15-2009, 04:33 PM
Tilux

ORIGINAL: traxxasfanatic

Got a question for any one who races their DB01. Is there a way to get the center pullies to last longer than 3-4 race days?
Are talking about the small white ones?
Old 08-15-2009, 06:02 PM
HSVXU6

Hi traxxasfanatic. Raced a full 12mths with a hot 19t brushed, lipos and slipper and will see out the rest of this year on original parts. Got a first a couple of seconds and a few thirds since I have been racing the Durga. I race once a month and don't bash in grass. Have re built the rear diff once. Tight belts, grass and no slipper are the destroyer of belt drives. I always blow my buggy down after each race. If you are not a smooth driver with a low turn BL you are better off with a shaft drive and bevel gear diffs or run a twin slipper and run it loose. Belt drives set up properly are so smooth to race but you need to look after them a bit more than shafts. You might need to tone down your throttle and esc and run thinner wires to your motor to help smooth out the amps.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:48 PM
traxxasfanatic

Yes.

ORIGINAL: HSVXU6
Hi traxxasfanatic. Raced a full 12mths with a hot 19t brushed, lipos and slipper and will see out the rest of this year on original parts. Got a first a couple of seconds and a few thirds since I have been racing the Durga. I race once a month and don't bash in grass. Have re built the rear diff once. Tight belts, grass and no slipper are the destroyer of belt drives. I always blow my buggy down after each race. If you are not a smooth driver with a low turn BL you are better off with a shaft drive and bevel gear diffs or run a twin slipper and run it loose. Belt drives set up properly are so smooth to race but you need to look after them a bit more than shafts. You might need to tone down your throttle and esc and run thinner wires to your motor to help smooth out the amps.
I'm running a sidewinder with a Traxxas Velineon motor and I have the slipper clucth. I even run the clutch a bit loose and it still not helping.[&o]
Old 08-15-2009, 11:13 PM
gman1

Please explain exactly what is happening to the plastic center pulleys. If those are only lasting you 3-4 races then it sounds like you might have another issue that is causing this. So whats up? Are they melting? Are the teeth wearing down? Please explain a bit more. One more thing: Do you have a slipper clutch on there?
Old 08-16-2009, 12:08 AM
dimblum

ORIGINAL: gman1

Please explain exactly what is happening to the plastic center pulleys. If those are only lasting you 3-4 races then it sounds like you might have another issue that is causing this. So whats up? Are they melting? Are the teeth wearing down? Please explain a bit more. One more thing: Do you have a slipper clutch on there?
Agreed, there is something else wrong.. I have run a Novak 6.5T Ballistic for a few months now on my off-road track.. Never had a problem with a pulley.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:54 PM
malice23

Ya just like dimblum said...No glue needed with the aluminum diffs...I never ever used the plastic ones as I had 1 bad experience with them and Never reinstalled them ever again...Melted after only a few runs. Problem solved wit hthe 3racing diffs....so no glue just screw together, grease them up and ur off.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:24 PM
gman1

[quote]ORIGINAL: I never ever used the plastic ones as I had 1 bad experience with them and Never reinstalled them ever again.

So you have used the plastic ones before as you just stated in your post. JK. Just being a wise guy,lol.

Are any of you guys looking for upgrades/HopUp's or just regular spares for the DB01 or possibly the DF03? Please let me know, as i have some lying around at the moment and will probably never use them. To Malice and Dinblum: What other vehicles do you guy's own weather they are Tamiya or not? Just curious.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:09 PM
traxxasfanatic

Yes I have the slipper clutch. The teeth on the pulleys are wearing down and making it so that the belts can slip once in a while which also is starting to messes up the belts.
Here's a pic of what they look like. The pulleys that got messed up this time are the 2 white ones. The one with the black on it is the one I melted before these 2.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:30 PM
gman1

How tight are your belts? They shouldn't be flopping around or anything like that(obviously) and are your pulleys in the right direction when you put them on the little layshaft i think it's called? My suggestion would be to have patience and go through your owners manual and make sure that everything is precisely kosher, well fitted, and so on. All it takes is one little mistake and all of a sudden a bunch of things start to be thrown off and out of whack. On the other hand, don't get discouraged as i'm sure everything will work out for you. It's all about getting familiar with your vehicle both inside and out. You should take the car apart periodically and become so familiar with it, it becomes second nature. The DB01 is an excellent buggy so don't let this leave a bad taste in your mouth. Once everything is up and running properly you will feel very rewarded and good about the car. Good luck. Oh yeah and another thing: make sure that your belt tensioner thingys are good to go. They do not necessarily have to be exactly as the manual shows. If your belts are loose, be sure to tighten them up.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:37 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

Yes I have the slipper clutch. The teeth on the pulleys are wearing down and making it so that the belts can slip once in a while which also is starting to messes up the belts.
Here's a pic of what they look like. The pulleys that got messed up this time are the 2 white ones. The one with the black on it is the one I melted before these 2.

Do you have the drive train enclosed? Look at step A9. I didn't put the part on and it screwed my pulleys up.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49352.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	1257625  
Old 08-17-2009, 12:01 AM
traxxasfanatic

How tight are your belts? They shouldn't be flopping around or anything like that(obviously) and are your pulleys in the right direction when you put them on the little layshaft i think it's called? My suggestion would be to have patience and go through your owners manual and make sure that everything is precisely kosher, well fitted, and so on. All it takes is one little mistake and all of a sudden a bunch of things start to be thrown off and out of whack. On the other hand, don't get discouraged as i'm sure everything will work out for you. It's all about getting familiar with your vehicle both inside and out. You should take the car apart periodically and become so familiar with it, it becomes second nature. The DB01 is an excellent buggy so don't let this leave a bad taste in your mouth. Once everything is up and running properly you will feel very rewarded and good about the car. Good luck. Oh yeah and another thing: make sure that your belt tensioner thingys are good to go. They do not necessarily have to be exactly as the manual shows. If your belts are loose, be sure to tighten them up.
My belts are tight. Not to tight that they cause binding but tight enough to not be flopping around. I have been taking the buggy apart after every race day and it all seems to be together correctly but somehow the pulleys are still getting messed up.[:@]
ORIGINAL:Ttam Says Blarg
Do you have the drive train enclosed? Look at step A9. I didn't put the part on and it screwed my pulleys up.
Yes I have the A9 part on the buggy.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:49 AM
dimblum

My belts are tight. Not to tight that they cause binding but tight enough to not be flopping around. I have been taking the buggy apart after every race day and it all seems to be together correctly but somehow the pulleys are still getting messed up.[:@]
ORIGINAL:Ttam Says Blarg
Yes I have the A9 part on the buggy.
You may want to check and see if the set screw (grub screw) used to tighten your pinion gear is protruding from the gear too much.. The pinion set screw is unfortunately in line with the teeth of the rear belt and it may be wearing away at them. If the belt teeth get too worn, it will slip like crazy and trash/melt your layshaft pulley (since it is where the force originates from)..

I saw this as a potential problem when I built my Durga so I used a Dremel to grind down my pinion set screw so that it rested flush with the gear.

If both the front and rear layshaft pulleys are getting worn, then I will have to rethink your problem..

Hope this helps.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:55 AM
malice23

I never use is what I intended to say.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:56 PM
traxxasfanatic

You may want to check and see if the set screw (grub screw) used to tighten your pinion gear is protruding from the gear too much.. The pinion set screw is unfortunately in line with the teeth of the rear belt and it may be wearing away at them. If the belt teeth get too worn, it will slip like crazy and trash/melt your layshaft pulley (since it is where the force originates from)..

I saw this as a potential problem when I built my Durga so I used a Dremel to grind down my pinion set screw so that it rested flush with the gear.

If both the front and rear layshaft pulleys are getting worn, then I will have to rethink your problem..

Hope this helps.
The set screw isn't hitting the rear belt. I checked it when I put it together to make sure the belt wouldn't get chewed up by the set screw and it was close but never hit the belt. And this time both front and rear pulleys are worn down a bit.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:37 AM
Tilux

Yes.

ORIGINAL: HSVXU6
I'm running a sidewinder with a Traxxas Velineon motor and I have the slipper clucth. I even run the clutch a bit loose and it still not helping.[&o]
Sorry, I don't have any idea what is the problem. Are the pulley tight?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.