Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official DB-01 Durga Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 06:17 PM
Hwa224

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official DB-01 Durga Thread

Video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItvxgpOQw84[/youtube]

Very basic stuff. No jumps or interesting handling. Not much of speed either. Just messing around and finding out that filming and driving with less than 3 hands and arms is rather difficult. I deliberately try to slide out and drift throughout the video, but it's no good with less than a full hand on the steering wheel.

Note that the increase in rotating MASS due to the gear diff makes the DB01 a touch sluggish. It almost gives me an excuse to buy a hotter motor. But as much as I'd like one, I'm afraid that adding more power will cause other problems - stripped gears, overheating, zero tolerance for overheating, short runtimes. In the latter respect, the EZrun 8.5t was a good choice. I've taken it to over 200F one time when I had first installed the one-way and there was binding there that I wasn't aware of. The motor still ticks just as I had bought it the first time.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:37 PM
ElectricGuy007

I converted my 501x to 2wd so i can run in the 2wd buggy class here.
Removed dead weight, front diff front belt, only thing I kept was the front axles so I could still use my 4wd wheels.
Should be interesting I let you guys know how it handles on the track.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:09 PM
Hwa224

ORIGINAL: Colzy2
. Very frustrating as the larger pinion that came with the kit won't mesh correctly onto the spur (with the brushed motor having a bearing on the outside of the case this reduces the space available for the pinion to fit & therefore won't align correctly to the spur).
Here's the solution: Get the pinions made by HPI. They are smaller in length which means they have a lower profile.

I installed a new motor- LRP X12 6.5t- and had the same problem you were having with the sport tuned. But I bought an HPI pinion (48p, 20t) and now everything lines up perfect.

I've tried Traxxas pinions in the past. Don't like them. They too are slightly shorter in length (though not as short as the HPI and not short enough to fix the problem you've had), and they don't seem very refined and seem to be rough on spur gears.

BTW, I don't recommend using a 23t or something greater than 17t with the brushed motors as I imagine they will overheat. Or if you do use higher gearing make sure you're monitoring temps.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:39 AM
Eman77

Can you link me to the DB01 gear diffs, and/or what is necessary to get to replace the ball diffs with those? Did you do front and rear, or just rear?
Old 05-29-2012, 03:54 PM
ElectricGuy007

ORIGINAL: Hwa224

I've tried Traxxas pinions in the past.
So glad I got rid of all my traxxas junk. I now have a fairly nice tamiya touring car. Traded my 4wd slash roller for it.
And YES ITS A TAMIYA YAY!!! No more craptraxxas traxxas garbage.....><LOL another tamiya for a Traxxas YES SIR....HAHA

Here's a picture of the touring car.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:15 AM
Eman77

That's a funny lookin DB01 ya got there chief.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:54 AM
ElectricGuy007

All it needs is buggy tires and bigger A-arms and it'd be a buggy.
Im just glad I have a TA05 Ive been wanting one for a long time. But I finally traded that 4wd slash off.
Man I do not want anymore traxxas stuff. 4wd slash handles like the 2wd truck it handles so poor on the race track.
Sticking with Tamiya, Associated and Losi.Tamiya needs a Stadium truck and maybe a Corr Truck too.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:47 AM
Eman77

I used to have a TA05-R. It was pretty sweet. Onroad just isn't for me though. Beautiful chassis though.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:05 PM
Hwa224

ORIGINAL: Eman77

Can you link me to the DB01 gear diffs, and/or what is necessary to get to replace the ball diffs with those? Did you do front and rear, or just rear?
You can get it from Stellamodels for about 20 USD. http://www.stellamodels.com.hk/54329...it-p-5772.html

I'd recommend picking up some green slime and putting that on the o-rings and the gasket to prevent leaks.

I only have it in the rear and I used the stock 1k oil. Very happy with it. But you might want to try thicker oils for some limited slip and for better leak prevention, although be careful about understeer.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:27 PM
ElectricGuy007

How good is stella models? Hopefully they are better than RCmart. RCmart it took me 6 months to get stuff, and when i got
the stuff they shipped the wrong color aluminum parts. So I never bought from them again. I just want someones opinion thats all.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:36 PM
Hwa224

I've ordered from RCmart quite a few times. Their delivery time was average from China to where I live (about 1-2 weeks). Although I believe they've taken a day or two longer to send the things out.

That said, Stellamodels is a good merchant and I've bought from them twice now. And they sell the diffs cheaper than anyone, and they provide shipment tracking.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:30 PM
Eman77

I've used RcMart, no issues. It does take a while, but then it's on the other side of the world, so... *shrug*

Thanks for the link, I might look into that gear diff. Green slime on the o rings is a good idea. I've always got some for shock building.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:53 PM
Hwa224

ORIGINAL: Eman77

I've used RcMart, no issues. It does take a while, but then it's on the other side of the world, so... *shrug*
I just remembered that in the end they're no slower than anyone else on that side of the planet.

BUT..

they have EXCELLENT customer service. Their website is RCmart.com and their ebay seller tag is dinball.

I believe I wrote about it. When I purchased a blue alloy steering linkage kit for the Db01 and it didn't fit (it fits only the TRF501x, which is slightly different) they didn't hesitate at all to fix the mistake: Unconditional refund. They made the mistake in advertising the linkage as being compatible with the Db01. And they paid for it and I paid nothing.

That's a seller that has won more business with me. And indeed after that issue, I went ahead and purchased more items from them. Laudable seller.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:32 AM
ElectricGuy007

Yeah Im glad you had a good experince with dinball. I didnt...[&:]
Maybe because your closer to them and it doesnt take forever for you to recieve your items.
I imagine it takes a couple weeks for you to recieve items from RCmart.

I have to either stick with tower hobbies or A-main hobbies because they are both closer to my location.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:19 AM
Eman77

ORIGINAL: ElectricGuy007

Yeah Im glad you had a good experince with dinball. I didnt...[&:]
Maybe because your closer to them and it doesnt take forever for you to recieve your items.
I imagine it takes a couple weeks for you to recieve items from RCmart.

I have to either stick with tower hobbies or A-main hobbies because they are both closer to my location.
Closer? Dude is in New York, you're in Kentucky. Seller is in China. You're both really, really far, so I doubt living in KY would make any impact on delivery times. Maybe the stuff you ordered was out of stock? That can take forever.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:10 PM
Hwa224

Here's a true story: I ordered the stabilizer set from Rcmart/Dinball on 6/6 on a Wednesday and then had them delivered and in my hands on 6/13, Wednesday, exactly 1 week.
BTW, I'll add the stabilizers/swaybars to my short list of "Best" hopups for DB01. Anyone having body roll or sway problems and don't want to compromise a soft suspension setup by putting stiffer springs to combat the roll, should try the stabilizer kit.
I have the thickest bar in the back and middle bar for the fronts. Good results and real difference. The swaying is a thing of the past and I like driving the DB01 again since I put TRF dampers in.
The dampers are good too, but I don't believe their cost justifies them, though I bought them brand new for about 38 dollars on sale. I will continue to test and change up shock oils and such, but for now the TRF dampers miss my "Best" list.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:02 AM
crusadores

Hello guys!

I haven't raced my DB01R for some time now, so i decided to sell. Can someone suggest a fair eBay price for the chassis/body with almost a spare car in spare parts (most of them in their bags) including aluminum suspension holders, anti-roll bars, front/rear bumpers, 501 diff halves, belts, diff covers, tons of hardware and many more?
The car is in very good shape including the Durga body.

Thanx in advance...

P.S.: if anyone is interested in buying, please contact me.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:35 AM
Vyger

Hey all, I'm not really sure if anyone still visits this thread....

But, Tamiya has finally released carbon fiber damper mounts for the DB01 (no rush guys). I gave mine a nice refresher with some new bits here and there, plus the carbon mounts. The part numbers are Front 54385 and the Rear 54386

Here they are all mounted up.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:17 PM
Eman77

Better late than never?

What wheels are folks running? I'm always on the lookout for nice spoked wheels, but for 4WD buggies they are hard to find nowadays.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:39 PM
Vyger

Hey Eman!

I know right! Five years in the making...for shock towers. LOL

Spoke wheels? I've never seen them...I've never looked before but... I always run the dish wheels from Tamiya on mine.

BTW, Tamiya has also released a sealed gear diff unit (54329) for the car as well. I don't think it's new but I'm thinking about getting a couple to try. I just don't know where to start with diff oils/grease. Any suggestions?
Old 02-08-2013, 04:10 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

Vyger... as always very nice!
Old 02-08-2013, 04:17 PM
Vyger

Thanks man!!!
Old 02-09-2013, 07:55 PM
Eman77

ORIGINAL: Vyger

Hey Eman!

I know right! Five years in the making...for shock towers. LOL

Spoke wheels? I've never seen them...I've never looked before but... I always run the dish wheels from Tamiya on mine.

BTW, Tamiya has also released a sealed gear diff unit (54329) for the car as well. I don't think it's new but I'm thinking about getting a couple to try. I just don't know where to start with diff oils/grease. Any suggestions?
I heard about the gear diffs too - I'll get those next time I melt my ball diff. I might have it sorted out now though, so we'll see. With oils/grease, I'm not sure on the db01 specifically, but I run 10k wt Associated silicone diff fluid in my 1/8 and 1/12 truggies for bashing around fun, and it does the job well enough. Racers will tweak that accordingly to different weights front/rear/center, but for my 10k all around is just fine. Maybe that's where you could start if you go that route.

I'm running Sparrowhawk (I think - TT anyway) spoked wheels, and they're ok, but they restrict movement if I crank down too hard on the nuts. Offset might not be right on them (wheel rubbing?)

Old 02-11-2013, 10:07 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

Ive been wanting to get the durga running again. If I do ill defiantly get the gear diffs cause I Hate with an capital H the ball ones..
Old 02-12-2013, 10:22 AM
Eman77

ORIGINAL: Ttam Says Blarg

Ive been wanting to get the durga running again. If I do ill defiantly get the gear diffs cause I Hate with an capital H the ball ones..
I found out about the gear diffs right after I purchased TRF 501x parts (err, I think 501x anyway) for my ball diffs to upgrade them. D'oh!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.