Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

brushless gearing in new emaxx?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 07:57 PM
mycarisaser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brushless gearing in new emaxx?

I picked up a nemesis [aka feigao] 11L motor and a 22 tooth[32p] pinion to run in my new [3905] e-maxx. I am useing a mgm 160amp esc and 2 2s 4800 25c lipos= 4s2p= 14.8v. I am using the stock 68 tooth spur. So the final drive is 16.128. Its pretty quick, better than I thought it would be.

Well, my problem is that my esc and batteries are so much overrated for this application I cant tell if I am overgeared![&:] The motor after a 10min run was very very hot [:-] but the esc and batteries were still cold. So again I cant tell for sure if I am overgeared. Is 16.12821:1 to tall of a gearing for a 11L?
Old 04-09-2008, 08:08 PM
SavageX78

Default RE: brushless gearing in new emaxx?

It sounds like your overgeared.

If you dont have a temp gauge you should get 1. I thought my mm5700 was too hot but after getting a temp gauge it wasnt that hot at all. around 130F. and it felt like it was atleast 200F.

It also depends on driving style too.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:26 PM
mycarisaser

Balls to the wall is how I would describe my driving style[>:] I normally drive in soft sand [I live at the beach] but today l was driving on road to test it out. I have a brushless e-savage and e-lst2 and neither of them get that hot and there geared taller l think[I also have heatsinks on them and dont on the emaxx]. l guess l am going to have to get a temp gun b/c your probably right about the finger temp test.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:26 AM
rhylsadar

hi

imo a 22T on a 'small' 11L may well be overgeared. i would check with smaller pionions. furthermore a motor clamp with heat sinnk from rc-monster.com will help also.

bye
rhylsadar
Old 04-10-2008, 06:33 AM
SavageX78

ORIGINAL: mycarisaser

Balls to the wall is how I would describe my driving style[>:] I normally drive in soft sand [I live at the beach] but today l was driving on road to test it out. I have a brushless e-savage and e-lst2 and neither of them get that hot and there geared taller l think[I also have heatsinks on them and dont on the emaxx]. l guess l am going to have to get a temp gun b/c your probably right about the finger temp test.
Yea I was useing the finger trick for a while on my batts and motors and when i got the temp gauge I was very suprised at how low my temps where compared to what i thought they were. If you got that many rcs a temp gun is deffinatly a wise investment.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:52 PM
mycarisaser

Thanks I am going to order a smaller pinion and a temp gun this weekend.

I took the rc-monsters heatsink/clamp off my e-savage and putt it on the emaxx and it helped alot but it still gets hotter than I want it too.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:42 PM
SavageX78

ORIGINAL: mycarisaser

Thanks I am going to order a smaller pinion and a temp gun this weekend.

I took the rc-monsters heatsink/clamp off my e-savage and putt it on the emaxx and it helped alot but it still gets hotter than I want it too.

you wont regret buying the temp gun. I spent 25$ on my PE1 about 1 and a half years ago and its still works great. And I havent had to replace that battery in it yet.