Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Melted Batteries on my rc10 b3

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 01:55 AM
IDrift

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Melted Batteries on my rc10 b3

Hey guys i posted this over in the battery forum

thanks for any help

Stephano

Ok guys Im new to this forum and to the RC community but i have been using automotive forums for a long time so i can honestly say i used the search feature. I know how annoying it can be answering the same q over and over again.

Well heres the situation I currently have a rc10 B3 with a 12 T quad modified rage fury motor 19 tooth pinion and the stock 81 tooth spur gear. I am using an novak super rooster ESC (no motor limit). Well as the title states i have meted the shrink wrap on 2 batterys. These batteries get so hot i actually feel like i have a 1st degree burn on my hand from when i pulled it out.

I had originally thought that it was geared too high so i had dropped from the 20t gear to the 19 that is currently in the car. The funny thing is that the motor is only warm to touch which to my understanding is normal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Stephano
as a side note these were 3000mah batteries running at full throttle about 80% of the time

thanks

stephano
Old 05-13-2003, 11:49 AM
Unstable

3000mah NiMH?

sound like you are just running too hot for the battery.

do you need the 3000mah or can you switch to a 'smaller' nicad.
NiMH cant take the amps like nicads can so it might be just too much draw for the batteries to take.
Old 05-13-2003, 01:23 PM
IDrift

Originally posted by Unstable
3000mah NiMH?

sound like you are just running too hot for the battery.

do you need the 3000mah or can you switch to a 'smaller' nicad.
NiMH cant take the amps like nicads can so it might be just too much draw for the batteries to take.
I tried that. I ran a 1500nicad the was on the verge oof starting to melt the plastic.

I guy that I run with has an almost identical setup (he has a LRP speed controller and cvds in the rear, 10T quad modified with a 18t/81t gear setup) and he ran my remaining 3000 NiMh with no problems what so ever. Hell he got about 3x the life out of it. Its just getting frustrating now
Old 05-13-2003, 03:44 PM
Shadow102
My Feedback: (5)

sounds like there could possibly be a wiring problem somewhere posibly between the connection of the plug and the battery
Old 05-14-2003, 11:19 AM
kbrent_d

I have a bad connector plug on one of my trucks and the battery gets way to hot, I would try changing the plug.
Old 05-14-2003, 11:36 AM
Unstable

thats true. I dont use the tamya style plugs anymore because I would melt them. (any little spec of dirt makes them fry it seems.)

i switched to these
the SER003 Powerpole Connectors on this page
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/connectors.htm

they work great.
Old 05-15-2003, 11:53 PM
SixVi6-Camaro

Default well my advice..

hard wire the motor and use as short a length of good quality thick gauge wire as you can and use a good connector for the battery connection or anything other than a crap tamiya connector.
Old 05-27-2003, 10:00 PM
kenji

Default me too

I've recently melted a few packs while racing. After racing and then discharging the NiCd packs, if I don't cool them down fully before recharging, and the packs were a wee bit warm after the next race the plastic was melted away.

If I cool the packs down before recharging all is fine.

Are you maybe running the batteries while they are still hot from being charged?
Old 05-28-2003, 02:12 AM
IDrift

I've recently melted a few packs while racing. After racing and then discharging the NiCd packs, if I don't cool them down fully before recharging, and the packs were a wee bit warm after the next race the plastic was melted away.
I ussually start running the car around 5:00pm (in the parking lot after work), so i start charging the batteries at about ten or eleven or so. By three or four all 6 of my bateries are fully charged which leaves them with about an hour or so of "rest time".

Ive also hard wired everything, some of the cleanest sotter work ive done to date. Ive also changed the gearing again to an 18/87 combo.... I think im just gonna give up and take it to the local hobby shopon sat to see what they have to say , that is if i can get up in time....

Thanks for you help guys

Steph
Old 05-30-2003, 09:07 PM
volsstd

Hi,

uhm...did you allready check your ESC? or your motor? Try a other car with your batterypack ( a hot car)

GreeTz
Ben
Old 05-31-2003, 11:39 PM
Evader ST

i think new connecters and wiring is the soltion
Old 06-01-2003, 10:06 PM
IDrift

uhm...did you allready check your ESC? or your motor? Try a other car with your batterypack ( a hot car)
ESC was the first thing i replaced, thats why i got the super rooster with no turn limit. A budy of mine ran my batteries with no problem and he has a ten turn motor

i think new connecters and wiring is the soltion
that was the second thing i replaced. i resotterd every thing with the shortest possible wire, and replaced all the connectors

still messing with the gearing trying to see if thats the culprit