Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
33.33%
No
66.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Do you use a lipo sack/bag ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 02:44 PM
-EXTRA-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Do you use a lipo sack/bag ?

You guy's would get laughed at where i live if you put your batterie's in and under crap LOL...i think that's funny..i have personally never had an issure with a lipo neither anyone i know..there so easy to use it's pathetic..my charger(triton JR) WILL NOT begin charging if my setting's for the battery are incorrect so i don't have to worry about that and i know i treat them well so no worries here..GL to all who use concrete block's and backing pan's ETC..LOL...
Old 08-18-2008, 03:02 PM
Bigshades

ORIGINAL: GravityJunkie

What charger do you have? A battery charger cannot tell the chemistry of a battery by the positive and negative leads it charges from.
Most modern chargers will detect VOLTAGE, and make thier assumptions based on such.

Lipo = 3.6 - 4.2v Per cell. So the charger will only begin a charge for a lipo cell, when the detected voltage is between those values per cell.

But there still is the possibillity of fooling a charger. These algorithyms were designed to help reduce Errors, but are not flawless. It is still important to check every time you charge a pack.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:15 PM
Access

Right, the charger could detect a 5,6,7-cell NIMH as a 2s LiPo, or something similar. Voltage detect is no gaurantee.
Charging the LiPo (as NIMH) or NIMH (as LiPo) can both end badly, you should always check just to be sure.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:50 PM
GravityJunkie

That's exactly what I was getting at. The only thing a charger can do is see the voltage. And it will be total voltage of the pack if charged through the normal discharge leads. It can't determine chemistry. Looking at the voltage can maybe save you a little bit, but it's nothing that much of a safety net. And like I stated before, humans make mistakes. Just now there is a new thread about someone charging with the wrong setting. It happens. And if it NEVER happens to you for the lifetime you're running rc, you'll be a statistical abnormality.

Actually, I was wondering if his charger chargers through the balancer or something. I guess if it did that, it could assume a charge through there would be lipo. And it would know cell count along with individual cell voltages. I really asked it because I am in the market for a new charger, and a super safe lipo charger would be a nice thing to have.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:18 PM
Dawman
My Feedback: (33)

Correct me if I`m wrong[since I am just getting into this] but if you charge through a balancer does`nt the balancer charge to each individual cell ? So wouldn`t it be better to charge lipos with a balancer all the time , instead of a charger that just sees total voltage ? [sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif]
Old 08-18-2008, 07:56 PM
Hardin Valley Magic

ORIGINAL: Dawman

Correct me if I`m wrong[since I am just getting into this] but if you charge through a balancer does`nt the balancer charge to each individual cell ? So wouldn`t it be better to charge lipos with a balancer all the time , instead of a charger that just sees total voltage ? [sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif]
I always use a balancer.. Just to be safe from over or under charging one cell more or less than the others..
Old 08-18-2008, 08:02 PM
Dawman

Pretty interesting results so far . seems more don`t use them . I have an Ice charger and decided to do some tests to see what it will do . I set it to Lipo and tried charging a NIMH , won`t even do it . Said something like detected or wrong battery , then tried a charging a 4 cell nimh with setting for a 6 cell , right away it states battery voltage is lower then number of cells selected . Being that and I will only be using lipo from now on and with my charger models set to lipo I don`t see there being a charger error . From what I`ve heard the problems with lipos come from user error like charging a damaged pack , charging to fast rate , or charging in wrong mode .
Old 08-18-2008, 08:23 PM
wattman

From the Dollar stores or something like , a blue metal turkey roasting pan with lid is cheap , works for me to hold the charging batterys in , and I do not leave the house while charging them .
It even has handles to grab and run outside with , if need be []
Old 08-18-2008, 08:28 PM
Dawman

ORIGINAL: wattman

From the Dollar stores or something like , a blue metal turkey roasting pan with lid is cheap , works for me to hold the charging batterys in , and I do not leave the house while charging them .
It even has handles to grab and run outside with , if need be []
Nice idea , but i think I`d rather use the sack or a clay pot before lugging around a roasting pan .
Old 08-18-2008, 09:25 PM
GravityJunkie

I personally know of someone went to top off a lipo pack with an ICE. However the charger was set at nimh. Puff city.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:41 AM
Dawman

ORIGINAL: GravityJunkie

I personally know of someone went to top off a lipo pack with an ICE. However the charger was set at nimh. Puff city.

I`m not saying it`s not possible but even before charging my Nimh packs or gell cell for my starterbox I always check the mode , charge , discharge , peak values before even connecting the leads . If I had money laying around it would be no problem spending $30 on a sack . But I`m on work comp and they haven`t been paying my benefits for almost 4 months plus 5 months last year , so money is a little tight . If I can get by with a clay pot until this comp is settled I`ll do so . Thanks for all the input . The more I hear about bad experiences with lipos it seems it`s more user error then the actual batts .
Old 08-20-2008, 12:09 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are exactly correct....... Most problems with the lipos are more user caused then the batteries themselves.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:09 PM
GravityJunkie

I'm not telling you that you have to use a liposack. Just get yourself some sort of a bunker to charge in. Whether that's a sack, clay pot w/sand or an ammo box is up to you. Things can go wrong, just take the appropriate safety precautions.

I'd tend to think that most lipo issues are user error. At least most of the ones I've personally seen have been of this variety.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:01 PM
Access

And I posted a thread a while back about the types of injuries people have seen / witnessed / been involved in during RC racing and couldn't find one battery-related injury, all the injuries were impacts (vehicle crashing into person), burns, etc. caused by carelessness.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:55 PM
Dawman

I have to say I expected the poll to be a little closer in results . 34 said no and 16 said yes . Very interesting , keep them coming ! Now I just need wait for the mail to get the lipos here .
Old 08-20-2008, 03:59 PM
Access

The bags might become more popular in the future though, the current rules for ROAR require them for using and charging LiPos I think.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:01 PM
Safety Hawk
My Feedback: (6)

I have never had a problem charging a Lipo, and I have been doing it for over four years now. However, I use fireproof safe to charge them in anyhow. Seems to me that the little investment is worth the peace of mind. The only issue I've ever had with a lipo was from lawn darting one of my planes while doing a full throttle slow roll and loosing orientation. The pack smashed through the firewall and ripped two of the cells open. It smoked some, but never caught on fire.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:04 PM
DARKWAV

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one just to be on the safe side. I also balance charge my LiPos everytime. Now I didn't pick-up a temp sensor for my ICE charger, figuring the balancer will protect from overcharing issues and the LiPo sack is my safegaurd against any battery charging issues resulting from any physical damage that might have been introduced by shock loads from crashes or drops. Anyway I'm curious if anyone out there consistently uses all three of these safety measures; sack, balancer, and temp sensor.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:08 PM
Dawman

I plan to use the balancer and a pot every time I charge .
Old 08-20-2008, 09:13 PM
GravityJunkie

Dude, save the POT for after your battery is charged. Having a little too much pot may cause more user errors
Old 08-20-2008, 09:28 PM
noname994

What's a lipo bag? I don't know anything about lipos. Also how are they better than NiMh batteries?
Old 08-21-2008, 07:12 AM
Dawman

ORIGINAL: noname994

What's a lipo bag? I don't know anything about lipos. Also how are they better than NiMh batteries?

Lipos hold the voltage longer and can be charged and ran numerous times a day , unlike Nimh .
Old 08-22-2008, 05:02 PM
Dawman

well , I ran my lipo last night and can`t believe the difference . Got 35 minutes of runtime with my truck that has a 10.5 brushelss and 20 minutes on my buggy with a brushed 10 turn . glad I made the switch .
Old 08-22-2008, 07:36 PM
Safety Hawk
My Feedback: (6)

For someone who is as into rc as you seem to be, I can't believe you waited as long as you did.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:54 PM
Dawman

ORIGINAL: Safety Hawk

For someone who is as into rc as you seem to be, I can't believe you waited as long as you did.

I never wanted to switch until talking to a guy at the track last week about them . I`ve been racing since the 80`s and just got stuck in the old ways of doing things . But right now my buggy will probably stay brushed until i need new motors .