Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

New Wheely King 4 wheel drive..

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 07:05 AM
eglitjys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Wheely King 4 wheel drive..

I noticed the wheely king has a new version of their truck that now has 4 wheel drive. I believe the older version was just 2 wheel drive. Has anyone tried it?
Old 08-23-2008, 01:34 PM
warheadforever

Default RE: New Wheely King 4 wheel drive..

I don't have one, but I want one. LOL So I guess I can tell you some time next year, when I have the money for one. LOL
Old 08-23-2008, 01:36 PM
Revotrx3
Banned

The 4wd Wheely King has been out for a while
Old 08-23-2008, 10:56 PM
86waterpumper

I have one, it is a great truck I got the almost rtr version, which is a pretty good deal at 130 bucks or so. It's hard to decide for me whether to keep it as a basher or turn it into a crawler. I have a s-600 electrifly motor in it now, with a 10 cell battery and it's alot of fun. If you get one, take it right apart to begin with, and shim the diffs, they come from the factory with ALOT of slop, and it caused me to kill my rear one, the rear one gets alot more workout as the frontend keeps in the air half the time LOL.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:07 PM
dacaur

Yea its been out for 6+ months, but its very nice, I turned mine into a crawler... the 4X4 is the exact same truck as the 2X4, except it has different graphics, a front driveshaft and gears in the front axle....
Old 08-24-2008, 01:13 AM
Mekong

What do you mean shim the diffs?

I like mine, its bone stock. The stock ESC overheats when crawling, but its surprisingly water proof, I have sank mine at least 4 times now and no problems lol

I would go with a AX10, but it wasnt out when I got my WK
Old 08-24-2008, 10:48 AM
itsnotskidding

ive had the 4x4 version, and the rws one..lol

4x4 is awesome, soooo much better!.. you will love it mate!
Old 08-24-2008, 11:50 AM
86waterpumper

Well I do think the truck is a good design overall and the axles are tough when setup properly, but lots of people including me have found they need to shim the diffs to keep them from grenading. If you are running six cells on the stock hpi motor you probably won't have an issue. The part that needed shimming on mine was the final drive pinion gear, in otherwords the piece that sticks out of the axle and connects to the driveshafts. What happened is that it could walk in and out under acceleration etc and so the gear teeth start skipping and wear down. Mine had enough play that I could fit a whole washer behind the pinion gear and the case lol. If I had known to do this at first they never would have stripped. I also noticed that there wasn't much grease at all on the gears from the factory. IF I was going to keep the stock motor in it I probably wouldn't bother but if you are going to put either a mod motor or a 55 turn crawler and lock the axles etc I'd check it out. The big tires and lower gearing put alot of stress on the gears compared to other cars. I just worked on mine some today, and finally put a higher torque metal gear servo on it. I need to get one of the axle mounted servo kits though eventually...