Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

upgrading tamiya rising storm

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 07:28 AM
HABJAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upgrading tamiya rising storm

Hello, this is my first post to this forum.
I own a tamiya rising storm(electric) and i was thinking of trying to upgrade it.
i have no knowledge on how to do so though.
i would like to get my car to go as fast as possible and run as nicely as possible, without paying too much.
if anyone could reply to this and help me out that would be great.
id like to know what i should do to my car.
Thanks, HABJAN
Old 10-14-2008, 10:33 AM
Druss

Default RE: upgrading tamiya rising storm

is your rising storm currently all stock? What electronics? servo, motor, esc... etc. do you have right now?

most important, how much money are you willing to spend?
Old 10-14-2008, 01:15 PM
new2heli

hehe, i got every part i could find, this car will go to the grave with me, its like a hidden bulletproof gem that only real bashers would know of

get the blue alum motor plate first then pick your powerplant

5700kv mamba max system, 3 cell 30c lipo, rocket fast with stock gearing, i have carbon shock towers and alum turnbuckles not installed

Old 10-14-2008, 11:04 PM
mog ruith

hey new2heli you ever broke the front shock tower every time you ran ur df02?
Old 10-15-2008, 12:11 AM
HABJAN

im not really sure about what is and isnt stock.
I bought the car off my brothers friend and i didnt really ask whats on it and stuff.
But, i am 99% sure that i have a "sports-tuned" motor in it. I have also bought new tyres for it because the old ones wore out(but i dont think that would make a difference)
I am not sure on how much i should pay because im only 14.
im also not sure how much things cost.
i would say probably max. of AU$250.
As i said i dont know what i could get with that though. so...yeh.
Thanks for helping by the way, HABJAN
Old 10-15-2008, 12:18 AM
HABJAN

Hey,
That is a nice car. Looks really technical, but probably isnt.
Also, whats a powerplant? lol, never heard of it.
I'll google the things you said. eg. 5700kv mamba max system, 3 cell lipo etc.
Thanks.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:01 PM
J.D.T

there are several good threads on these cars, search under gravel hound and rising storm and df 02(chassis name), I like the mamba 4600 better than the 5700, its fast enough on 2s and 3s is just stupid power levels, runs much cooler than the 5700 also, when you are ready to bash it hardcore you can gear it down and throw some four inch tall truck tires on it and make a heavy duty basher, there are dozens of option parts, from diff lockers to carbon fibre steering braces. My truggy wanna be pictures are posted on a couple different threads here, good forum over at radiocontrolzone also, 130 pages, tons of photos, some custom stuff from myself and others
Old 10-17-2008, 12:19 AM
HABJAN

Hey, J.D.T
Thanks for the tip, i will check out the mamba 4600 too.
Would you have any pictures of your car that you could post?
Also, what do you mean by 2's and 3's?
Would you suggest any sites where i could buy parts?
thanks for all the help.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:24 AM
HABJAN

Hey everyone,
I think i have chosen what motor to get. I should get the mamba 4600, because even though im not racing, it seems better than the 5700 and 7700.
If i get a new motor and stuff, does that mean i need LiPo batteries? or can i keep my normal ones.
I also think i will raise my budget to AU$400 because i now see how expensive things are.
Thanks everyone for helping me out.
If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to let me know.
Thanks again - HABJAN
Old 10-17-2008, 12:14 PM
J.D.T

I can get some pics later, my friggin laptop at work has some silly stop transmission is the post is to long
Old 10-17-2008, 04:54 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life
My Feedback: (34)

They really are nice bashers with a few upgrades. Like suggested, I would go with brushless, aluminum shock towers, bearings, and some nice batteries.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:37 PM
J.D.T

these pics show the nearly five inch tall masher 2000s, these tires are to big for practical use, I usaully run four inch tall truck tires like the dirt hawgs and dirt works geared 70/16. the mamba 4600 is a good choice as its easier on batteries than other higher kv systems so you might be okay battery wise, basically 2s means 7.4 volts, 3s is 11.1 volts, each lipo cell is 3.7 volts people add them in series to get 7.4,11.1 14.8 etc, you can also add them in parallel to increase the mah and amps available, lipo would more than likely require charger also, if your charger is lipo ready you should seriously consider changing, for me the ability to charge one day and have it be strong the next day was the key, with nimh and nicd batteries they are "best when used hot" for maximum punch, within 10 minutes a nimh/cd pack will feel weak, with a lipo no punch lost over 4-5 days many times in my experience

Dinball/Rcmart has alot of the df 02 stuff, my aluminum gpm and yeah racing stuff came from them, you can see I don't use the aluminum arms, there is no need the stock pieces are great and not nearly as heavy, on a budget I certainly wouldn't get the alloy but if you must bling

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/tamiya...5_744_712.html

all my sqaure aluminum, carbon fibre, all my tamiya spairs and options as well as tobee craft hardened steel and aluminum came from champ rc in japan, 19% off tamiya list price, about 33-50% off the cost from tamiyausa or tower hobbies here in the states, they discount tobee and sqaure also so those options are cheaper than dinball, its a little harder to order from champ as you need to email them the part numbers you want, most can be found on dinball or I may be able to help some

http://www.rc-champ.co.jp/Champ_Inte...onal_index.htm

you could also consider the sidewinder 4600 brushless system its a little cheaper but by the time you add the programming cable its like $150 vs $180 from bpp, some people have had issues with international orders but several aussies reported a ok service from them

http://www.b-p-p.com/home.php?cat=48

the aluminun center shaft and cvds should be on your first option list, if you are interested in the tamiya cvds you need to use the 53791 cup joint or order a set of tt 01 cup joints from tobee as they utilize a smaller driveshaft size, the tobee, sqaure and gpm are all stock size so your original parts will fit, I use the tobee hardened steel stuff as eventually the plastic bonded to metal will give way on the diff output shaft joints, wheel joints and even the propellor shaft joints
don't be afraid to ask questions there are several fairly hardcore df 02 owners here

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44278.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	1053789   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27400.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	1053790   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qw56359.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	1053791   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sl27862.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	1053792  
Old 10-17-2008, 05:53 PM
Krazy Chicken

ORIGINAL: new2heli

whats the buggy with the frog body?
Old 10-17-2008, 07:56 PM
HABJAN

ORIGINAL: J.D.T

these pics show the nearly five inch tall masher 2000s, these tires are to big for practical use, I usaully run four inch tall truck tires like the dirt hawgs and dirt works geared 70/16. the mamba 4600 is a good choice as its easier on batteries than other higher kv systems so you might be okay battery wise, basically 2s means 7.4 volts, 3s is 11.1 volts, each lipo cell is 3.7 volts people add them in series to get 7.4,11.1 14.8 etc, you can also add them in parallel to increase the mah and amps available, lipo would more than likely require charger also, if your charger is lipo ready you should seriously consider changing, for me the ability to charge one day and have it be strong the next day was the key, with nimh and nicd batteries they are "best when used hot" for maximum punch, within 10 minutes a nimh/cd pack will feel weak, with a lipo no punch lost over 4-5 days many times in my experience

Dinball/Rcmart has alot of the df 02 stuff, my aluminum gpm and yeah racing stuff came from them, you can see I don't use the aluminum arms, there is no need the stock pieces are great and not nearly as heavy, on a budget I certainly wouldn't get the alloy but if you must bling

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/tamiya...5_744_712.html

all my sqaure aluminum, carbon fibre, all my tamiya spairs and options as well as tobee craft hardened steel and aluminum came from champ rc in japan, 19% off tamiya list price, about 33-50% off the cost from tamiyausa or tower hobbies here in the states, they discount tobee and sqaure also so those options are cheaper than dinball, its a little harder to order from champ as you need to email them the part numbers you want, most can be found on dinball or I may be able to help some

http://www.rc-champ.co.jp/Champ_Inte...onal_index.htm

you could also consider the sidewinder 4600 brushless system its a little cheaper but by the time you add the programming cable its like $150 vs $180 from bpp, some people have had issues with international orders but several aussies reported a ok service from them

http://www.b-p-p.com/home.php?cat=48

the aluminun center shaft and cvds should be on your first option list, if you are interested in the tamiya cvds you need to use the 53791 cup joint or order a set of tt 01 cup joints from tobee as they utilize a smaller driveshaft size, the tobee, sqaure and gpm are all stock size so your original parts will fit, I use the tobee hardened steel stuff as eventually the plastic bonded to metal will give way on the diff output shaft joints, wheel joints and even the propellor shaft joints
don't be afraid to ask questions there are several fairly hardcore df 02 owners here

Hey, Thanks for all the info. It'll help me a lot.
i'm still "noobish" with all this so i dont really understand some proper R/C terms. eg. cvds, gpm, dinball, tobee and things like that.
i figure that "diff" is differential or different. lol.
Now i have a better understandings with the LiPo batteries, but there is still 1 thing that puzzles me
As you said "each lipo cell is 3.7 volts people add them in series to get 7.4,11.1 14.8 etc, you can also add them in parallel to increase the mah and amps available" Do you mean that you need more than one battery to power the motor.etc.
Also when you said the LiPo batteries dont lose their punch over 4-5 days. i think that it would be much much better to have LiPo's.
I have i think 2 2700mah batteries and 1 3600 mah. They dont usualy last that long so ive been thinking that they arent working so well because i overcharge them.
With LiPo's, do you charge for 1 whole day??
If i would buy things from japan, would you think its worth the risk?
Because even if i would buy from u.s i would have to pay shipping anyways, so.
I've been also looking at some shocks and things. but i dont knowhow to "use" them. eg. how soft or hard i need to make them and with that fluid for it.
Everyone has been beginner some day. lol.
Thanks heaps for sending the pictures, i appreciate it.
- HABJAN
Old 10-17-2008, 10:29 PM
HABJAN

hey everyone,
i just went to the hobby shop and i bought a heat sink for the motor. hope it helps the "running" of my car.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:26 AM
Lilredmachine

Heatsinks will keep the motor cool for a longer life span.

You only need one lipo in order to keep this car running. There are others such as the E-maxx/E-savage etc. that require two in series (more voltage) to provide power. JDT was just pointing out you could use two in parellel (higher capacity) to double your runtime. But to be honest with a big lipo (6000mah+) and a brushless system you will be looking at 40 minutes bashing time anyway.

RCmart are fine for shipping. They get stuff to me in under a week generally, and they are based in Hong Kong which is far closer to Australia than the UK lol.

Generally, you can use any shock as long as it's the right length and uses the same mounts which you can tell by looking at it. A shock will be measured from tip to tip, so for example my E-zilla shocks are 148mm so if looking for replacement shocks i should shoot for alloy shocks around 150mm in length.

Shock setup is a bit of a black art. The higher the number on the oil you use the more viscous the oil is. So for example 10wt oil is like a very runny liquid, and 100wt oil will be a thick, goopy mess. When placed in the shock they change how the shock reacts in terms of bump (retraction under compression) and rebound. Heavier the oil the slower the reaction, so using a too thin oil will result in the shocks bouncing as the car lands as there isn't enough resistance to the oscillation of the springs, too heavy and the suspension will be dead, not being able to react to the terrain the car is running on at all. Generally for bashing I've found a 35wt oil is usually good, however you would want to experiment to find the best balance. On top of this you have different spring rate springs, preload adjustment and mounting angle.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:00 AM
HABJAN

Hey, Lilredmachine.
Thanks a lot for explaining some things i havent known yet.
I looked on the RCmart page and i found a "metal alloy" part kit thing(the blue parts) and ive been thinking of buying some.
About the shocks. Would you recommend any particular shocks for the rising storm?
Nice tips on the "oiling" of the shocks. i never thought its that difficult to get the right amount in them.
Do they ship the oils aswell? I thought that they cant send any dangerous tings, such as aerosols and oils.
Would you have any recommendations for any parts i should get? eg. motor, shocks, tyres. etc.
Thanks again for the explanations, great help for me
-HABJAN
Old 10-20-2008, 02:58 AM
Lilredmachine

They'll send shock oil through the post fine. Remember it's a silicone based oil, pretty inert.

Tamiya do there own set of hop up alloy shocks that are pretty neat, though pricey at $45, RCmart sells them, they'd be my choice. I'd avoid unnecessary alloy such as alloy suspension arms, shock towers etc. unless you have a real problem with breaking the stock parts. It'll increase the weight of the buggy, spoil the handling and increase the strain on parts that are still plastic and are being exposed to forces they were not meant to handle. I'd definitely recommend some heavy duty titanium or strong alloy turnbuckles though.

As for wheels and tyres, I don't know what sort of surface you run on so it's difficult to say. As for a motor system I'm still all for the Mamba Max or a sidewinder and a 4600/5700 motor.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:42 PM
Krazy Chicken

ORIGINAL: Stampede Killer

ORIGINAL: new2heli

whats the buggy with the frog body?
???
Old 10-24-2008, 12:37 AM
HABJAN

Hello, i apologize for not posting in the past few days, i didnt have access to the computer.
I drive my car on many surfaces including roads, dirt, rocky dirt(gravel/chunky dirt) and sometimes bark.(those things they use in gardens and playgrounds) lol.
I was thinking of buying high density tyres off of the RCmart page, along with the wheels.

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-df0...th=595_744_712

(I think that the tyres and wheels match, so i put all the links down.)

I think i might have asked this already, but should i buy new dampers?
These are the ones i have in mind.

That all i have for now, i should be able to post more soon
- HABJAN
Old 11-04-2008, 07:01 AM
HABJAN

Hey everyone,
i see this thread is now dead. since no one has replied much anymore.
id just like to thank everyone who helped me out.
ill try to get parts as soon as i can. and yeh.
Thanks
- HABJAN
Old 11-04-2008, 07:40 AM
J.D.T

ORIGINAL: HABJAN

Hello, i apologize for not posting in the past few days, i didnt have access to the computer.
I drive my car on many surfaces including roads, dirt, rocky dirt(gravel/chunky dirt) and sometimes bark.(those things they use in gardens and playgrounds) lol.
I was thinking of buying high density tyres off of the RCmart page, along with the wheels.

(I think that the tyres and wheels match, so i put all the links down.)

I think i might have asked this already, but should i buy new dampers?
These are the ones i have in mind.

That all i have for now, i should be able to post more soon
- HABJAN
These tires will be hard like the stock ones, they will wear pretty quickly, those wheels are fine, I would try to get the tamiya df03 shocks if you can afford them, they are much nicer and easier to get replacement/rebuild parts for
Old 11-04-2008, 07:59 AM
J.D.T

here are some cheaper tire/wheel combos

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/tire-w...-c-35_959.html

I am pretty sure the smartech ones listed at the bottom are what my buddy has had in the past, maybe pop into a smartech thread and make sure they have 12 mm hubs, same with the hobbypro, I think they are a AU company so you might be able to find them locally.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:11 PM
HABJAN

Thanks for that, ill check it out now.
- Habjan
Old 11-27-2008, 12:36 PM
rhowe

keeping this on alive- i've run a couple sets of tamiya hotshot wheels and tires on my storm. you'll have to get the hotshot/ wheel adapter from tamiya but the tire last decently on pavement and are still grippy for dirt