Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

ESC Warrenty?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2003, 04:22 PM
Billiam411

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ESC Warrenty?

If you change a connector (tamiya to deans) will that still have the warrenty? I have am Intellispeed and an M-troniks
Old 05-26-2003, 06:30 PM
Wookie
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESC Warrenty?

I'm not sure if it will void the warranty but I highly recommend you switch to Dean's if you are running anything lower than a stock 27 turn motor.

I recently went from stock class motors to a 17 turn double wind motor. Shortly after the switch (maybe 8-10 runs) my Tamiya connectors melted together. This was on an Intellispeed 16T mild mod ESC.

Tamiya plugs are not a great idea with motors that draw increased amperage.

Basically I would send them an e-mail or call them and ask them if it will void the warranty.

I do highly suggest the switch though.
Old 05-26-2003, 08:08 PM
Billiam411

Default ESC Warrenty?

thats the ESC that I first had, then I switched. I first had a 17T, didn't melt it, but did fry the motor. bought 21T after, the plugs get hot, but don't melt. Does Deans give more speed and runtime? If so, how much more?
Old 05-26-2003, 08:49 PM
Wookie

Default ESC Warrenty?

I don't know if they give what would be noticeable speed or run time increases, but I would think the do a little.

The reason I feel this way is because the resistance in the Tamiya plugs is greater than that in the Dean's plugs. This means an increase in battery power going into the ESC/motor instead of heating the plugs.

I also think that part of the reason that Tamiya plugs melt is because the connection is loose between the plugs (not the plastic but the metal connectors inside). As the vehicle moves the connections move which causes arking between the plugs. This creates a loss of power through out the whole system. Remember a system is only as strong as it's weakest link.

With all of this in mind I would say that the Dean's plugs will give you more speed and run time. How much? Maybe like a 1/4 mph and 5-10 seconds of run time. Nothing perceptible for the most part but increases all the same.

The big difference is that you won't melt any more plugs or any future plugs and you won't be stranded after paying for track time because your plugs melted together (that's what happened to me). It will make a bigger and bigger difference the lower the turn motor you decided to run.

Besides it's not like the Dean's plugs are very expensive. I was able to do fit my charger, two cars and five batteries for $15.00. The plugs are also very easy to solder, but I recommend you use something to hold the plugs while you put them together.
Old 05-26-2003, 10:40 PM
Billiam411

Default ESC Warrenty?

is there any 'punch' differences? or anything like that?
Old 05-27-2003, 02:44 AM
Wookie

Default ESC Warrenty?

I think there is a minor amout of difference in the punch. Again it's minor and you may or may not detect it. This would again come from the better energy transference from the battery to the ESC.
Old 05-27-2003, 03:51 AM
hpiguy

Default ESC Warrenty?

Sadly on 99.9% of ESC made you will void the warranty if you change the plugs on it.

The only ones that don't are the ones that come with solder posts outside the ESC and no installed connectors.
Old 05-27-2003, 05:25 AM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

Default ESC Warrenty?

all these problems ppl have.. when i was little and knew nothing about the hobby i ran a 11T motor on a novak Rooster (old version) cosntnatly with tamiya plugs for hours at a time, and never once melted, burnt out, or broke ANYTHING on it... talk bout luck. But ya with what HPIguy said, you void just about everything when you do anything to an ESC. Thats why its best to buy the higher quality ones, posts are on outside so you dont void by choosing plug style.
Old 05-27-2003, 06:33 PM
Billiam411

Default ESC Warrenty?

I have a Sonik 3 check out a picture on my car It has posts, but the tamiya plug with wires are also included.