Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Thinking of getting a Slash or other 1/10 scale MT/ST.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 11:31 PM
Always Dreamin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of getting a Slash or other 1/10 scale MT/ST.

Well, I guess that puts me in the market for a new truck. I really like the Slash, but I'm not sure. I looked at the e-revo, but it will end up costing too much for the performance I want. So, I have another plan. This plan will involve selling my Rustler, and most of my Other R/C parts. I will be buying a stock Slash. I will run it until the titan gives out. Then, I will put in a Mamba 5700kv in it. My plan is to run it on my 2s. If not that, I will run a VXL system on 3s. The Slash just looks different from what I have. It looks so fun, and so real. I like how it has enough ground clearance to be helpful, but still the flat pan chassis like the Rustler with decent handling. I have a couple concerns with it. For one, the bodies. They are so big and pretty pricey. Do they last a long time? I mean, they look good, but they are huge. $30, and they seem to take most of the hit in a flip. I know i wouldn't want to be replacing those on a regular basis, so I want to know how long they usually last. Right now, I basically have a VXL Rustler with RPM parts, aluminum shocks, steel output yolks, metal gears, aftermarket tires/wheels, etc. I would be getting the Slash just for something new. Or I might just get 3s for my Rustler, not sure...
Old 10-19-2008, 11:40 PM
madkal

Default RE: Thinking of getting a Slash or other 1/10 scale MT/ST.

funny. I don't want to hijack your thread but I'm new to the hobby and this would be my first purchase.

I was looking at the Slash or Rustler VXL. I want to run it like 65/35 dirt/street. I also had the intention of getting the slash and a 2s lipo untill the 12t died. The Rustler just looks move versatile.
I just want something durable as I stated I'm new .... as in I have a 1/36 losi DT and that's it new ... I just don't want to be bored with it in 6 months.

All that to say, I'll be watching this to see what kind of responses you get.

Do you like your Ruster and/or why make the change?
Old 10-19-2008, 11:51 PM
Chris_RC

The Slash really comes alive on the track. Not performance wise, but fun wise.

OCRC has a huge Slash group and they run c mains normally. Also Hot Rod, Pegasus, and Thunder Alley (dont know about that one) have Slash races.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:54 PM
Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: madkal

funny. I don't want to hijack your thread but I'm new to the hobby and this would be my first purchase.

I was looking at the Slash or Rustler VXL. I want to run it like 65/35 dirt/street. I also had the intention of getting the slash and a 2s lipo untill the 12t died. The Rustler just looks move versatile.
I just want something durable as I stated I'm new .... as in I have a 1/36 losi DT and that's it new ... I just don't want to be bored with it in 6 months.

All that to say, I'll be watching this to see what kind of responses you get.

Do you like your Ruster and/or why make the change?
If you mean 35/65 that's way overgeared. What do you mean by versatile? Are you looking at the XL-5 or VXL Rustler? That will make a huge difference. I love my Rustler, but I've basically had it for 2 years and want something new, but I'm not quite yet ready for the bigger 4wd trucks. Or maybe I am, I have to think about this one.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:58 PM
FairTax4me

Well the slash is neither MT nor ST. But its a good buy none-the-less.

I've landed my slash upside down in a bed of rocks (big granite rocks, not that gravely stuff) from ten feet in the air many many dozens of times and the body has held up just fine. On hard front end landings I've gotten the front part of the body jammed up over top of the front bumper and it has never hurt it.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:00 AM
FairTax4me

If you mean 35/65 that's way overgeared.
I think he meant 65% dirt driving, 35% street driving.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:05 AM
Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: FairTax4me

If you mean 35/65 that's way overgeared.
I think he meant 65% dirt driving, 35% street driving.
Ah of course. Must have misread.

Well guys, just FYI i will most likely be getting the E-revo if any. I still would like to know how the Slash holds up to rough bashing. FairTax4me, that's good to hear your body is holding up.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:05 AM
Lilredmachine

I'm slightly concerned that you reckon the ground clearence of the Slash is a relevant point.

It's awful off road unless it's put on a neat, groomed dirt track. If you plan to be driving heavy duty off road through anything other than short well kept grass or loose dirt then move on mate, the Slash ain't your truck. It may as well have 1/2 an ich of ground clearence for all the good it does.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:38 AM
hondaidiot

rough bashing wise i would have to say it holds up great, i also am new to rc's and will be getting the slash around christmas time but one guy at the local rc track i go to said he has jumped his off his roof several times and said that he actually broke his battery first before anything else on the truck keep in mind its probably not a two story house lol, he said he's had to replace one thing but i dont remember exactly what it was called but it wasnt major, the owner of the track said their as close to indestructiable as u can go baring in mind u dont run it full throttle into a boulder of course. no personal experience from myself yet just what i've heard and the night i was there they had 3 out of the track flipping around every which way and getting flipped over and running off again so i'm impressed with them.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:19 AM
04DarkShadowGT

ORIGINAL: Lilredmachine

I'm slightly concerned that you reckon the ground clearence of the Slash is a relevant point.

It's awful off road unless it's put on a neat, groomed dirt track. If you plan to be driving heavy duty off road through anything other than short well kept grass or loose dirt then move on mate, the Slash ain't your truck. It may as well have 1/2 an ich of ground clearence for all the good it does.
That has more to do with the stock tires than the slash itself. I agree with you 100% in stock form the slash stinks in grass, but ad some geolanders or possibly prolines new tires and it will be considerably better.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:32 AM
The Hedgehog

The slash with brushless and lipo does not handle too well. I think it's best kept to the track racing other slash's. It's a blast though racing the spec class.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:57 AM
Always Dreamin

Alright, sounds like if I'm going to go with the Slash, I better just keep my current Rustler. My Rustler right now can take quite a beating, and I have it setup just how I want it. Now, what about the E-revo? I really like it, and for the price it's being offered, it's cheaper then buying it all yourself. If you took an E-maxx ($350) and added the $300 brushless system that comes in the E-revo you'd be at the same price. Then you add in the 2.4ghz radio, the e-revo suspension, the e-revo's aluminum shocks RTR, E-revo's better suspension, E-revo's already setup with gearing and everything, and IMO it's a no brainer. What do you guys think about the E-revo brushless? I checked the regular e-revo out at the LHS, and it was just an amazing work of art. Also quite durable from what I've seen. Probably will hold up just fine to what I'll throw at it.

EDIT: but the downside of the e-revo is that it takes two batteries. right now i have 25c 3300mah 2s lipos. i have 2 of them. i will be running them, and maybe even 12 cells sometimes. i'm hoping to get 35, maybe even 40. with decent runtimes. right now with my rustler geared 26/86 i get around 15 minutes of play time on 1 pack with about 40-45mph top speed and plenty of power to have fun.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:20 AM
kinzuagolfer

The slash is very durable. I'm very glad it has those front bumpers. I haven't really abused the body other than road rash from roll overs. It still looks good.
Very fun in the dirt. That's where it really belongs.
Handling is not the greatest on dry pavement. Rolls are common. I think you could tweak the suspension to prevent this though. Wet pavement is quite fun however.

Have you thought of getting the slash and swapping the XL5 and Titan for your rustlers VXL system?
I just put in a quark esc and VXL motor in my slash. It's a low amp system (65A), so no wheelies that flip you on your lid

If there was a track near me that did a slash stock race I probably would of left it stock to race in that. I'll still have my fun with it though.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:44 AM
everyjuangohome

I have a slash. I run it bone stock. I originally bought it for my wife. You just cannot beat the price. I run a 7cell in it. This car is a blast to drive. It's nothing at all like a xxx-t or rc10 etc....

It's a little squirrly in the dirt which makes it so much fun to drive. You powerslide corners you can bang into other slashes like crazy and not get tangles up. So far I had a 1/8 gas truck t-bone me and it broke my rear main hub carrier. I drive this thing pretty hard and I also broke a front camber block. But I slammed into a curb almost full blast to break this. I simply replaces it with some aluminum ones. the body has held up great. I would highly recommend it to anyone just looking for a different type of truck to drive. It's just not on the same level as your standard race 1/10 but hell of fun to drive with other slash's
Old 10-20-2008, 12:46 PM
madkal

AWWWWW jeez now I'm thinking the rustler would be better for all around conditions. I don't plan on racing at local track (atleast not yet)
I want to learn the cars and driving and it seems like from the last few posts the slash is unlike 95% of other RC trucks.
From what I'm hearing the slash sounds like a fun secondary specialized car where the rustler is an all the time, all around car.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:55 PM
04DarkShadowGT

AWWWWW jeez now I'm thinking the rustler would be better for all around conditions. I don't plan on racing at local track (atleast not yet)
I want to learn the cars and driving and it seems like from the last few posts the slash is unlike 95% of other RC trucks.
From what I'm hearing the slash sounds like a fun secondary specialized car where the rustler is an all the time, all around car.

You can bash the slash too, its really has about the same abilities as t rustler, you just have to get better tires. The stock rustler wheels and tires have ton better traction especailly on grass. When I had my slash the biggest pet peeve I had was on concrete when you would turn sharply the outside back wheel would come up and all the power would go to that wheels and it would lose all its speed. The rustler doesnt do that.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:55 PM
Checkpointracer

IMO The slash should only be used for racing in it's class, they are not good jumpers and they're handling is quite bad compared to other 1/10 scales, They look like they would be a lot of fun to race if you're a good driver but even then you see them spinning out and stuff.

Unless you're planning to race, I say get the e-revo.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:13 PM
madkal

I would love to get the E-revo my budget says .......DENIED.
Still sounds like the rustler is the better all around car for a person new to the hobby like me. The Slash's durability is still attractive though.
How does the rustler hold up for everyone?
Old 10-20-2008, 01:19 PM
Druss

ORIGINAL: Checkpointracer

IMO The slash should only be used for racing in it's class, they are not good jumpers and they're handling is quite bad compared to other 1/10 scales, They look like they would be a lot of fun to race if you're a good driver but even then you see them spinning out and stuff.

This sounds like advice from someone who's never actually driven one...

The slash is NOT about race performance, it's about getting back to what makes RC fun... You don't sit there for hours trying to get the exact right combination of camber and toe in and tires and shock fluid and... etc. You take the sucker, plug a battery in and go bash or race or whatever. The slash was NOT designed to be the best handling, best performance... best anything except for fun. It's SUPPOSED to slide.

Watch a real corr race and you'll see what a slash is all about. Better yet, borrow someones and take it out for a spin.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:40 PM
Checkpointracer

ORIGINAL: Druss

ORIGINAL: Checkpointracer

This sounds like advice from someone who's never actually driven one...

The slash is NOT about race performance, it's about getting back to what makes RC fun... You don't sit there for hours trying to get the exact right combination of camber and toe in and tires and shock fluid and... etc. You take the sucker, plug a battery in and go bash or race or whatever. The slash was NOT designed to be the best handling, best performance... best anything except for fun. It's SUPPOSED to slide.

Watch a real corr race and you'll see what a slash is all about. Better yet, borrow someones and take it out for a spin.

I understand that, I don't think you understood my post though, I'm saying that for jumping, bashing, etc, I don't think it would be near as fun as a rustler or e-revo or almost anything. I think they would be a lot of fun to race, (for that reason I'm thinking about getting one) just not bash. But thats just my opinion, maybe these days people like trucks doing that when they're trying to hit a jump straight, I know I like my truck to stay planted when I hit a jump and not bottom out so hard the truck bounces back up...

I've watched many CORR races and I understand exactly what the slash is made after and I understand it's purpose. Always Dreamin was comparing the slash with the e-revo for bashing, and I'm quite sure the e-revo would do a lot better as my revo bashes wonderfully.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:43 PM
madkal

Now that sounds more like what I'm looking for........fun factor
Old 10-20-2008, 01:52 PM
kinzuagolfer

I would love to get the E-revo my budget says .......DENIED.
Still sounds like the rustler is the better all around car for a person new to the hobby like me. The Slash's durability is still attractive though.
How does the rustler hold up for everyone?
The slash has alot of protection RTR. Body that covers the truck, so it protects the wheels more so than your standard MT or ST. Front and rear bumpers. I was amazed at the abuse these can take. Not a single broken part thus far.

The rustler has very good part support from RPM which makes very strong parts. I believe they are warranted as "unbreakable". The rustler needs a little help to become as durable. The rustler will become very durable. I think some of these same parts are compatible with the slash or they have slash specific ones.

The slash could benefit from some upgrades too.
Shocks on the slash aren't very good for jumping.

For either truck if you hit something going full speed with 3s VXL expect to break something. If I were to bet on one or the other I would bet on the slash surviving better.
If your using the xl5 and 12T titan expect very little breakage if any form the slash and the rustler is most prone to breaking from the exposed wheels (hit a curb at an angle and you might loose a wheel). I have done this with my stock (XL5 & 12T titan. Oh and the larger included pinion) slash with 3s A123 (10.8v) and just bounced off.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:03 PM
madkal

with regard to the slash would a 2s lipo be good to start with?
I figure a 3s would fry the motor faster but the 2s would still allow me to go brushless without having to buy another battery when the stock motor goes.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:12 PM
kinzuagolfer

Yes. 2s is perfect for the slash. The only reason I ran the 3s A123 is because the nominal voltage for it is 9.9v and an 8 cell nimh is 9.6v which is what the esc is rated for if I remember correctly. Lipo on the other hand is 11.1v nominal, so frying is definitely in the future with the stock esc and motor.

I only ran twice with the 3s. Overheated the motor and noticed a little bit of decreased performance 3/4 of the way through the first time I ran it that way. Really fast though compared to the 2s. Much more fun onroad.

The slash esc doesn't have low voltage cutoff. You will either need to be very cautious of run times or get a cutoff. However I have read of lots of them don't seem to work correctly.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:16 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

I have seen a video of a guy take his slash and repeatedly jump it into the wall. It took a beating before it broke.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.