Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

New Traxxas Summit - Thoughts/Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 12:19 AM
BM1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Traxxas Summit - Thoughts/Opinions

Traxxas just released the "Summit" electric off-road truck. Does anyone have any first hand reviews or experience with this thing yet? It looks pretty neat. It weighs in at a hefty $742.99 at TowerHobbies.com

http://www.traxxas.com/products/elec...summit5610.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG5x3wW41kw

Thoughts?
Old 10-20-2008, 12:28 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New Traxxas Summit - Thoughts/Opinions

There are already several threads on here about the Traxxas Summit. They are located in the Traxxas forum, rock crawler forum and in this forum...............

Please use the search feature before starting another thread.......................
Old 10-20-2008, 12:31 AM
Ttam Says Blarg

Well personally I wouldn't buy it but if you think that you would have fun with it that is all that matters.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:24 PM
DriftingDragon

you could make the same thing out of an erevo for cheaper

still maybe worth getting tho

the body probably will wind up on everyones crawlers now
Old 10-20-2008, 12:27 PM
1maxdude

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

There are already several threads on here about the Traxxas Summit. They are located in the Traxxas forum, rock crawler forum and in this forum...............

Please use the search feature before starting another thread.......................
Why waste your time typing all that out? This is an open off road electric forum, this seems to be a valid post. I don't understand why people get so worked up over people asking questions, and all you guys can say is search. A forum is a place to ask questions, this place would be dead if everyone took your advice and searched.

Anyways, I think it looks awesome personally. It is just the thing I'm looking for, just needs a mild sensored brushless system. I was looking into the scorpion to "not crawl" with. Wanted a single motor 10th electric 4wd to go play in the mud with and bash around with, but not with too much speed. Talkin like 25-30mph would do.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:37 PM
t9dragon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 1maxdude

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

Why waste your time typing all that out? This is an open off road electric forum, this seems to be a valid post. I don't understand why people get so worked up over people asking questions, and all you guys can say is search. A forum is a place to ask questions, this place would be dead if everyone took your advice and searched.
Well why not use the search feature then we won't have multiple post asking the same questions about the same vehicle. I agree a forum is a place to ask questions but people should search for their answer and then if they don't find it then start a new thread.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:40 PM
Access

Yeah it does. It's good to see they're pushing the limits of the hobby. With something like this you could race 'hybrid' tracks or just run it 'wherever', middle of nowhere.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:49 PM
Anomie

It is true there are other threads in the MT/Traxxas forums and also the Rock Crawlers forum, but the previous thread in this section has been locked due to policy violations.

Let us please get past the multiple-thread issue and discuss the subject originally posted.

Thanks!
Old 10-20-2008, 02:13 PM
Alpha Male

No matter what anyone else says, I think it looks like a cool truck with some unique features. [sm=thumbs_up.gif] When I first saw it, I thought that it would be my next truck, but I changed my mind when I started to look more closely. My experience with trucks that need two batteries (E-Maxx and E-Savage) makes me not want to get the Summit. It may be kind of silly, but I just don't like running down two battery packs at once...seems like a waste. Sure I could shell out more money and get four or even six packs, but that would be 4-6 runs in my Slash vs. two in a truck like the Summit. I like longer running time.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:21 PM
Access

For this truck runtime is going to be highly dependent on what you are doing with it. You could get 30 min or more from 2x GP3300 packs if you are just crawling around.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:21 PM
kinzuagolfer

I think it is a really cool truck/crawler. It is definitely on my list of vehicles I'm interested in. Very pricy however. I think the brushless revo is cheaper.
I really want to try one out.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:39 PM
Access

No, based on the given prices on the horizon website, the brushless ReVo is around $700. and this is around $500. The only thing that can stop this from being a huge seller is the price.

After watching the video on the site it doesn't seem on par with a 'dedicated' crawler. But that's probably not what they had in mind either.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:41 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

I think there charging alot because of the locking diff feature. Has this ever been done before?
Old 10-20-2008, 02:59 PM
kinzuagolfer

Topic creator listed Tower as having this over 700, so that's why I thought the revo would be less since it's gonna be high 600's to 700 range.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:59 PM
zjwhitrock

its not alot, its about $500, $50 more than the standarde E-revo
Old 10-20-2008, 03:23 PM
Access

ORIGINAL: kinzuagolfer

Topic creator listed Tower as having this over 700, so that's why I thought the revo would be less since it's gonna be high 600's to 700 range.
Tower always lowers the price when it gets closer to release, they did this with the E-revo, VXL, other closely watched items.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:26 PM
kinzuagolfer

Well 500 is a lot more enticing. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:31 PM
rhylsadar

this freakin truck is so cool! [8D]

rhylsadar
Old 10-20-2008, 05:08 PM
Chris_RC

As already stated there has been other threads on this subject. When people post they must not read the forum rules:

Please take a minute and look over the forum you plan to post in, as there may be a thread already started with your subject matter in it. If it is a question, try a search, as it may have already been answered.

I knew that Traxxas wouldnt make a pure cralwer. If they wanted to make it a real crawler, it wouldnt have independent suspension and 2 gear ratios, as I really dont see the point of a crawler going over 10mph. Can we agree that there is no use for a crawler going over 5 or 10 mph in rocks? I must say that the body looks cool though, but for $500 it is not for me.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:16 PM
kinzuagolfer

It can act as a crawler with the lower gearing, so it may not go beyond the 5 or 10mph mark in the low gear.
It also has the capacity to use the higher gearing for bashing and such. Not for crawling.

The locking differential would be used the same way. Locked when crawling and unlocked during bashing for better turning.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:50 PM
Chris_RC

But my question is, why would you make a crawler which crawlers are made to go SLOW to crawl. To make something where you have the possiblity to go fast takes the point out of what a real crawler is meant for. Why would you use a crawler for bashing? I thought that was what the stampede was for.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:12 PM
04DarkShadowGT

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

But my question is, why would you make a crawler which crawlers are made to go SLOW to crawl. To make something where you have the possiblity to go fast takes the point out of what a real crawler is meant for. Why would you use a crawler for bashing? I thought that was what the stampede was for.
That makes no sense at all. So it shouldnt be used as a crawler because it goes over 5 in high gear even though it has a low gear and remote lockers?

You do realize that real 1.1 crawlers go over 5mph in other gears right?

Whats so wrong about having a truck that can go have some slow fun on the rocks and then at a flip of a switch go tear it up in the dirt or your favorite bashing spot. Because it does both things by your logic its no good.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:29 PM
hands without shadows

Traxxas never called it a crawler.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:41 PM
Access

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC
It's not just the fast/slow thing. It's the independent suspension vs. straight axle suspension. And the weight placement and weight ratio. You can speed up a dedicated crawler, but the handling is awful.

RC can't too much be compared to 1:1 scale or real vehicles. There are real-life vehicles with straight axles that still handle okay. But with RC the straight axles have very poor handling. Likewise the weighting on a typical dedicated crawling setup makes it handle very poorly when trying to corner or manuever at speed. In essence the dedicated crawler is a vehicle that sacrifices all other things for crawling.

I wouldn't write it off completely as a crawler without actually trying it. But seeing those videos, it really isn't doing anything too tough. It's probably fine for most of the rocky terrain you'd find out in nature. Just not the really tough stuff that is crawler competition territory. Though you do have size working for you here, if it's E-revo size that's significantly larger than a typical competition crawler.

Here's the other thing. In crawling competitions you need a precise vehicle that doesn't touch goal markers and such. You can't just barrel over the rocks and use your momentum to carry you. But if you are just bashing around on some rocks, you don't have goal markers or precision driving to worry about, you can just barrel though and use your momentum and speed to carry you over an obstacle (as long as you don't tip it over).

And the diff locker is useful besides crawling, it can help on loose surfaces or even for straight-line handling or "straightening out" on a high-traction surface (ie. Speed-T). Being able to turn it on and off at will is the big bonus. Normally it hurts you so much around the corners it's a worthless thing to have. But now you can turn it off to corner, and then turn it back on to straighten out and all that.

Traxxas never called it a crawler, but I think it was these forums... there was a very big thread about a Traxxas Crawler (rumored) so when this came out, people pretty much assumed this was the "traxxas crawler" and that's how you got here from there.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:48 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

How does the locking diffs work? Can you go full speed the switch the diffs or do you have to stop it first?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.