Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Running in winter

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 04:52 PM
daroccot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running in winter

Anybody out there run their RC's in winter? I'm talking canadian winter here though I wouldn't be running past -20C. What do you run?

I want to get something I can mess around with (a basher I suppose) in the packed snow and cold, a 4wd buggy or truggy. Electric or Nitro? My stuff I have now isn't winter friendly, though I have run it (tamiya new beetle) in sub zero temps, once that battery heats up it acts like a little heater in there.

I was thinking I want an electric with an aluminum chassis and as little plastic as possible.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:00 PM
sxcurtin

Default RE: Running in winter

what budget are we talking?
slash?
Old 11-18-2008, 05:10 PM
daroccot

ORIGINAL: sxcurtin

what budget are we talking?
slash?
probably ~300 for a rolling chassis
Old 11-18-2008, 05:27 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I ran last winter with two traxxas and a tamiya. I was still using brushed then. I had a waterproof LRP and had taken apart a couple other escs and put conformal coating on them. I bagged the receivers and did not worry about the servos. I ran in the driveway for the most part. They got bogged down in any deep snow. Endless donuts and slides.

This year everything is brushless, I am not too worried about the motors, but the cc sidewinders that I bought new probably won't see the snow. I do have one sindewinder and a novak xbr that I got used that I might try the conformal coating on, or maybe dielectric grease. I think it would be fun to try some paddle tires in the snow. I am looking forward to trying my rs4 in the snow, I did not have it last winter.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:59 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

i ran my savage fine in the winter no mods.., http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8134949/tm.htm that has lots of good info,

the lug
Old 12-05-2008, 05:37 PM
daroccot

Well I picked up a Kyosho 7.5 K3 with lots of aluminum hop-up's, I think it will work quite well. Now the e-conversion...
Old 12-05-2008, 05:51 PM
Druss

I just ran my DT in the snow last night. great fun with all the donuts. stock losi electronics on it and I just bagged the receiver.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:44 PM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

I've been running the crap out of my LB so far this winter. Only in the driveway and road though. I need to put some silly putty in the diff to lock it up; right now when I try and drive in deeper snow I just get one wheel peels and go nowhere! Hopefully, I'll have a Super Clod soon and I figure since it's 4WD and bigger it should do well in the deeper snow. I'll I did to protect my LB was wrap the Rx in a ziploc bag.