Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

short circuited lipo battery?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 04:29 AM
ChuckDeez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default short circuited lipo battery?

alright, so i was putting traxxas connectors on my lipo battery and for a second or split second the red and black wire touched. I don't know if it was long enough to damage the battery. what do you say? When I fully charged it, it peaked at 8.415 volts. Is that normal for a 2s lipo?
Old 12-23-2008, 08:25 AM
The Hedgehog

Default RE: short circuited lipo battery?

It is fine.

Lipos don't peak, but yes it's normal. Don't worry about it.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:55 AM
Longhair

When the lipo starts puffing up, then it is time to worry in how fast you are able to properly dispose of the battery.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:10 PM
ChuckDeez

thanks, when does the lipo puff? do they puff out of no where even though they were taken care of?
Old 12-23-2008, 09:12 PM
shaunmichaeljohnson

lipo's puff if you treat them badly for about 1-2 mins.
and usually a shorting is no problem as long as you fix it within a few seconds.
all the shortings ive had were self cured by the battery supplying enough amps to melt the solder on the plugs and stop the short

that lipo will be fine
Old 12-24-2008, 01:30 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ChuckDeez

thanks, when does the lipo puff? do they puff out of no where even though they were taken care of?
Lipos will puff from damage incured during accidents while driving or by over-charging or by running them below the recommend cutoff voltage.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:47 AM
calvino

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

ORIGINAL: ChuckDeez

Lipos will puff from damage incured during accidents while driving or by over-charging or by running them below the recommend cutoff voltage.
totally, i did a "worst case scenario" with a pack that was going bad, it took 14.4 volts (11.1 volt pack) at almost 7 amps for about 15 mins before it puffed, but it all depends on the battery, ive had some that see total abuse and survive and others that dont last as long just don't over charge (amp/volts) and over discharge (amps/volts), and your pack should be fine[8D]