Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Now many converted from nitro to electric

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 10:35 AM
GreenRacer
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Now many converted from nitro to electric

Myself I don't see the sense in critiquing one or the other. Both nitro and electric are great mediums for similar and different reasons alike. They can both be made to be very fast. Both are durable in their own ways and both are just plain FUN. I enjoy nitro for the ease of use in being able to just fuel up and go, the smell, tuning it, the sound, the whole spectacle of running it in public. I enjoy electric because it doesn't smell or leave residue, I need less support for an electric model to run, they are incredibly fast now, and much lighter weight.

I will never seclude myself to one or the other, that is just silly because I love both.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:44 AM
FoamyVictim

I just felt the need to defend brushless 8th scale. When somebody tries to say it sux or is too expensive, I simply demonstrate their ignorance so others can see it's as feasible, and affordable as nitro... faster and much easier to deal with.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:47 PM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: FoamyVictim

Sounds like you made a boo boo and ran a car through water. Unless its a Traxxas or similar toy, then OF COURSE there might be a problem. If you plan to get it wet, then take steps to prep the car, you can't blame it for your choice of use.

Nitro is slow, and getting out dated. Few new people want to deal with it and the rest have sufficient experience with SOME kind of gas engine and can adapt quickly. It's not going anywhere any time soon, but it is going. Brushless 8th scale is growing, fast. Fast, reliable, low maintenance, and easy to drive, these things are set to expand further than their nitro counter parts ever did.

Don't hate on Electric, it IS the future of RC, whether you like it or not.
If you read my post you'd see that I don't worry about water cause my stuff is waterproofed with Liquid Tape. I can drive it underwater, and I have on my Clod. However, accidents do happen, mostly in the spring and fall, where a car goes out of control or something and ends up in a ditch full of water. I've seen it happen several times, and everytime its cost the owner big time $. I've seen this happen with nitros several times, and every time all it cost the owner was about a half hour of engine clean up.

Nitro isn't really that slow. How much can you really use a car with BL that goes 70mph? Making speed runs is cool for about, oh, five minutes. 50mph is about the max speed you need that's practical. Most nitros go 40-50mph so their you go, that's right at the top of the useable speed range.

As for new people not wanting to deal with nitro, well, I don't know who you're talking to. Every new person I see to this hobby wants nitro right away. They like the speed, the smell, and the sound. I don't recommend nitros to noobs, but they ALWAYS want them!

As I said in my last post, both formats have their place, pros, cons, and people should really own both. I've been running electrics for 21 years and I'm just really starting to get sick of a lot of the annoying crap that comes along with them. I only own 2 nitros at the moment, but that number will be growing. It sounds to me as if you've been running nitros too long and your sick of the little annoying crap with them. That's what happens if you go to deep into just one format of RC IMO. If you have both, when your electrics are annoying you you can fire up a nitro, and vice versa. People should really just own both kinds of RC's I think. I know that owning so many electrics and dealing with them for so long has burned me out on electrics for a WHILE.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:25 PM
yaleforscale
Banned

well i ran nitro for a long time i found it just to much like hard work so converted the one model i didnt sell to brushles . the rest of my models are all electric the only advantage i see with nitro is longer run times , but this is outwayed buy all the high maintanence a nitro model needs . i find it great just to plug in and go yes you may need a barage of batteries for a good day out . but once bought you just charge and go . no after run oil or nitro fuel to buy or cluches to burn out . or air fillters to replace or glow plugs or snapped pull starts or brake pads . you will never beat the ease of use that electric models provide just my 2 cents ..
Old 04-20-2009, 04:40 PM
MTboy

For me I started in the hobby with the savage X and loved it. Owned a few electric but really stuck with the nitro till I got into heli's and learned about lipo and brushless. Now I just don't see a point in nitro when you can do the same with brushless with less to hassle with. I havent ran a brushless in a car or truggy but plan to and dont see myself going back to nitro. Plus with every thing going green I can just picture some tree hugging fags saying that there toilet paper isn't as soft with nitro around.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:16 PM
MonkeyFist

ORIGINAL: MTboy
Plus with every thing going green I can just picture some tree hugging fags saying that there toilet paper isn't as soft with nitro around.
That has got to be the quote of the week.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:38 PM
DHC8GURU

Sometimes nitro can put the F.U. in Fun.

I bailed from nitro, not that it was a real hassle for me(although it had it's moments), but rather all the crap that I needed like spares, nitro, glow plugs etc. I wanted to simplify my hobby a bit. I went to smaller pure electric on my airplanes, kept my nitro Heli because its not economical to run a 600 class (roughly 50 size nitro) electric Heli, $300 batteries that run for 6 minutes sucks. I switched to 1/10 scale electrics because it is real economical compared to 1/8 scale buggy and twice as much fun. I have gotten more track time doing this than anything else I have ever run.